Gibson Brands Forums

Great guitars that just aren't for you....

saturn

Flying V's for me. They sound great (Albert King used them to good effect), but they are impractical as you can't sit down and play with them, they are uncomfortable standing up also and they have become too associated with metal. The original Korina ones didn't look too bad, but generally I find the look of them very unappealing.

Love my '66 Country Gent! But, a good neoprene bass strap, helps a LOT! They are big,

and have a feel, all their own. But, once you get used to it...Love that Great Gretsch

Sound!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I only have one Gretsch which is a G5120 electromatic. I always wanted a White Falcon when I was younger and tried a few out on various occasions. They play and sound amazing, but in latter years I've really gone off the look of white guitars so for the past few years I've been very attracted to the Country Club G6196T as I love the look of the Cadillac green finish with the gold hardware. I also love the Tennessee Rose too. Only downside to Gretsch is they don't sound great for jazz IMO and that's what I play mostly these days with my 3 Gibson archtops.

Never was a fan of Fenders, PRS, Ibanez.

Guitars with maple fret board, those weird shapes like Vs or explorer, mockingbird, warlock... (was a fan of these weird shapes in the late 80s as a metalhead though)

Semi in general sounds too close to a solid body for anything useful to me and some like 335 are (in my opinion) way overvalued

Schecters. Everyone I have ever picked up feel awkward and unbalanced.

Also anything with a small fingerboard.

A lot of talk about appearance here.

I dislike the appearance of a couple of my own guitars, but they happen to be the better guitars. :P

I love the look of ES models and I have a ES-339. Its pretty good, but for an important gig? I would leave it at home and use something else.

However, on a photo shoot, the ES-339 would be first up.

BTW I think PRS are some of the prettiest guitars out there.

Schecters. Everyone I have ever picked up feel awkward and unbalanced.

Also anything with a small fingerboard.

A lot of talk about appearance here.

I dislike the appearance of a couple of my own guitars, but they happen to be the better guitars. :P

I love the look of ES models and I have a ES-339. Its pretty good, but for an important gig? I would leave it at home and use something else.

However, on a photo shoot, the ES-339 would be first up.

BTW I think PRS are some of the prettiest guitars out there.

I picked a used Shecter at a music shop this week to plug into my amp and run through some speaker cabs that I was considering for purchase. I really thought the tone and resinance was good on the instrument, but it WOULD NOT STAY IN TUNE. It had medium -action on the setup, so I re-strung it with some !!'s, and figured that might help. NOPE. Now I don't know the model, nor if this is something common with Shecter, I even greased the nut, and made no difference. I played along to Hotel California on the radio, no chords, all lead melodies, and when the song was about 2/3 through I had to start playing in different Keys due to the instrument being out of tune again.

Some things just stick with you. For this reason I will never buy a Shecter.

I have to say it again. I love Rickenbacker guitars. Matter of fact, I think it was Swampash who recently posted one on a NGD thread and that has to be one of the prettiest guitars I've seen on this Forum. I love their sound too, when played by artist like Harrison, McGuinn, Tom Petty. I just don't see much need for me to ever own one other than as a novelty.

Same kinda goes for Gretsch. Again, Cookieman has one and it's also one of the coolest looking guitars on this Forum. I love the way they sound when Brian Setzer or Chet Adkins or someone like that play them. Unless I found myself with a whole lot of disposable income, I just can't see myself getting a guitar like that when there are others that would fit my style better.

In other words, I admire them in other peoples "arsenal", :rolleyes:

Firstly, I just want to say that the guitars I am going to list are not bad instruments in any way, They just are not my preference, so no offence to anyone that plays and enjoys them. It's ok to like different things... For example I have PRS, EVH Wofgang(s) and I know some people do not care for them, that is fine.

My list of non preferred:

Fender Telecaster

Gretsch guitars

ESP guitars

Schecter guitars

Any guitar with a bigsby

There is one I forgot to mention, and I'm not going to be real popular around here for saying it (as if I ever was). Les Pauls don't really work for me. I just don't have the vocabulary to make a Les Paul do what it does best.

You're wondering what I'm doing here? I love my ES-335, and though I've never played one, I'd love to have an ES-135 or 137.

Forgot to mention the Firebird and the Explorer. Both shapes don't really appeal to me. The Explorer only appeals to me when it is finished Natural. I only see Cherry and Ebony Explorers, and I'm not going to drop 3k for a Custom Shop reissue just like that. Gibson USA should do a nice limited run one day. The Cherry and Ebony colors are too heavy metal for me. At least, the Natural ones look right for me.

Forgot to mention the Firebird and the Explorer. Both shapes don't really appeal to me. The Explorer only appeals to me when it is finished Natural. I only see Cherry and Ebony Explorers, and I'm not going to drop 3k for a Custom Shop reissue just like that. Gibson USA should do a nice limited run one day. The Cherry and Ebony colors are too heavy metal for me. At least, the Natural ones look right for me.

Yes, I was never too keen on the Explorer either, but prefer it to a Flying V.

Firebirds I love the look of and would really like one although I've never tried one, but then I love the look of Fender Jaguars too for some reason so maybe that's why?

No one has mentioned the Moderne yet! It was produced in the 80's for a brief time from the alleged 50's design that never appeared and really does not appeal to me. The Corvus is another which I find revolting. That's just my opinion though and no offense intended to anyone who owns or loves these instruments.

There is one I forgot to mention, and I'm not going to be real popular around here for saying it (as if I ever was). Les Pauls don't really work for me. I just don't have the vocabulary to make a Les Paul do what it does best.

You're wondering what I'm doing here? I love my ES-335, and though I've never played one, I'd love to have an ES-135 or 137.

It's fine not to love or even like Les Pauls! Lots of jazz guys disliked them including Jim Hall. I was raised on Les Pauls like many people, so I still play, enjoy and love them. I find them very versatile and have played everything from jazz and rock to metal and even classical on them. I still play Les Pauls (and SG's) just as much as my archtops even though they are sometimes frowned upon by some people when playing certain styles. I play Leyenda (Asturius) on a Les Paul sometimes. I like not being conventional, but I've yet to try Pantera on my L5 though [unsure] I may one day try and arrange some in a jazz style perhaps [blink]

For me..........Steinberger and Parker.....

Both have loyal followings, and I've played a couple and they were nice, but on the Berger, I can't do the whole no headstock/body thing

and parkers are just not appealing to me

NHTom

Fender Telecaster. Never really cared for the look of them. They do sound good, but I find myself drawn to a Strat just a little bit more.

My list of non preferred:

Fender Telecaster

Gretsch guitars

ESP guitars

Schecter guitars

Any guitar with a bigsby

I was the same way with Telecasters for years. I thought they were the ugliest thing ever made and swore I'd never own one. Then I had a chance to buy a 2013 American Standard Tele for a price that was too good to pass up. Once I played it I instantly loved it and forgot all about the appearance. I just bought my second one a few weeks ago. They are a close second favorite to my Les Pauls now.

For me..........Steinberger and Parker.....

Both have loyal followings, and I've played a couple and they were nice, but on the Berger, I can't do the whole no headstock/body thing

and parkers are just not appealing to me

NHTom

Oooh yuk! Steinberger. I forgot them. Not just some of the ugliest guitars on the planet, but also terribly designed for sitting or standing when playing. They promote bad posture and playing technique! Way worse than the Gibson Flying V!

A Gibson Explorer, and any similarly-shaped string'ed thing. Cool as they are; just can't see myself having need of one; the pickups are too hot for my tastes, for one, so it would not be a practical thing for me.

I used to think I'd never own a Gretsch or anything like it, but I'm starting to like the snarl of Filtertron pickups, and can see they'd have a place in my heart if the right one came around. They're opening up their sub-£1000 range now, too, so there are options!

A Parker Fly, or any other model would be something I can never see myself getting. I've no doubt they are well-crafted, but IMHO; very overpriced for what they are.

Rickenbacker and PRS will never see themselves in my collection; these are things I've sworn away from, much like SD pickups.

Guitars I don't like:

PRS (don't like the looks or the prices)

Ibanez

Dean

Charvel

Steinberger

ESP

Basically most pointy Guitars do nothing for me, with the exceptions of Gibson's. Anything with EMGs or Floyd Rose, or Kahler trems. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist and I believe that they got things right first time in the 50s and 60s.

I love all Gibson's and Fenders and I think everyone knows at this stage that I have a bit of a Rickenbacker fetish.

Martin acoustics, never met one I could get comfortable with.

PRS gutiars,... look nice, made well but if a guitar could be "none of the above" for me, it's a PRS.

Flying V,, I know some guys freak over them but honestly, I don't get it. Fugly!

Parker Fly, a night of bad mexican food and too much tequila, you designed it while having nightmare.

Archived