Gibson Brands Forums

Koa or Brazilian Rosewood?

Thanks guys. I've limited experience with either wood, but it doesn't look like any Koa I've seen, either. The view through the sound hole looks like East Indian Rosewood, but the picture of the back looks like the colors of Brazilian. Can East Indian get the coloration this guitar shows? The EI I've seen is usually just black.

The guitar is from this Ebay ad:

Gibson J-45 Custom Deluxe Abalone Vine Acoustic Guitar 2000

The seller claims it was "custom made" for a famous singer/songwriter, which made me wonder if it was built back in the days when the Gibson custom shop actually made custom guitars. Then, I suppose, it might have been possible for a guitar to have been built of BR.

More possible, I guess, is that the seller just confused the word "custom," which in Gibson talk means an EI rosewood J-45 with a rosette, with an actual "one of a kind" guitar.

Certainly has a koa color on the outside, but the inside just as certainly looks like EIR. I have seen koa that has wide, relatively straight grain like the back & sides on this one, but I believe it to be rosewood of the Indian variety. The eBay description says it was made for Kostas......the guy that wrote many of Dwight Yoakam's hits......might be difficult to prove that, but doesn't seem all that significant anyway.

Who a guitar might have belonged to makes for an interesting story...or not. However, if the seller expects to get one extra dollar because the guitar belonged to someone famous, he should have good, solid provenance, or not be wasting our time. That radio station that used to come out of Villa Acuna, Coahuila, and beamed all over the US, would send you an autographed picture of Jesus.

Who a guitar might have belonged to makes for an interesting story...or not. However, if the seller expects to get one extra dollar because the guitar belonged to someone famous, he should have good, solid provenance, or not be wasting our time. That radio station that used to come out of Villa Acuna, Coahuila, and beamed all over the US, would send you an autographed picture of Jesus.

Written in Aramaic? lol

Well, that settles that. Looking through the soundhole, it sure has that purple cast that EIR can do. The back can be stained in any direction desired.

That's my question, 62burst. Can EIR that is sooooooooo dark viewed through the sound hole be made to look sooooooooo light?

Here's the same guitar in Koa:

0485016D-557x800.jpg

Definitely not Koa, agreed? (Unless it's really boring Koa.)

Here's a J-45 custom in EIR:

RS4CRSGH1-Back.jpg

Now compare it to the one in the original post. Can EIR be that light?

That's my question, 62burst. Can EIR that is sooooooooo dark viewed through the sound hole be made to look sooooooooo light?

Now compare it to the one in the original post. Can EIR be that light?

Yes, it can. Part of it can be the lighting, you know. I have one EIR guitar that could photograph that light, and another that couldn't.

Here's the back and side of one of the FON 910 1942 SJ's. There has been argument over the years about whether this is EIR or Brazilian, but the consensus is that it's EIR. You can tell by the background that it would be considerably lighter if properly photographed. Tom Barnwell owns this one now.

1942SJback.jpg

1942SJside.jpg

Yes, it can. Part of it can be the lighting, you know. I have one EIR guitar that could photograph that light, and another that couldn't.

Here's the back and side of one of the FON 910 1942 SJ's. There has been argument over the years about whether this is EIR or Brazilian, but the consensus is that it's EIR. You can tell by the background that it would be considerably lighter if properly photographed. Tom Barnwell owns this one now.

1942SJside.jpg

Obviously the Mother of All EIR.

Glad it found a good home.

J45 Nick, or anyone, when was the last time Gibson built a production guitar with Brazilian Rosewood?

Archived