Gibson Brands Forums

Is it wrong to want a Taylor?

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

Do to the negligence of the Bozeman factory to build anything but standard models ...I have started looking at other brands and found an instrument I really like :

The second player is a lot better imho

PD: I never thought I would like a taylor(I've played a few lefties that did nothing for me but this one draws my attention)

JC

I figure you play the guitar you want/need and can afford. Taylors don't appeal to me. Too pristine and sterile for what I do. I've owned two and couldn't bond with either. Nice guitars. Just not for me. For others they are fine........Plus, around here you're not allowed to play Dylan and Cash songs on a Taylor. [scared]

No - it's not wrong to want a Taylor. You get what you like. End of story. I've got two Taylors. Let other people think what they want.

That's a pretty different combo of features - a 12 fret, hog on blackwood, and a slot headstock. Looks cool and sounds great in the vid.

Go for it JC. . . [thumbup]

Buy what you want and play what you like. But I have to say that yesterday I packed up my Taylor 814 and shipped it to Music Villa as a trade in on my new Songwriter Deluxe Studio. That Taylor is a wonderful instrument. Thought it was a forever guitar. But when I bought my J-45 what I had always thought of as the Taylor shimmer started sounding a bit shrill in comparison.

Follow YOUR heart and YOUR ears. For the moment at least, mine are hooked on Gibson. [cool]

Does anyone here have a Taylor GS Mini e? I have been looking at them online and listening to them on youtube but don't know anyone with first hand experience. Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

Ummm. I speak from experience here. Acoustically speaking...

GS mini..... Great.214ce... Great. Perfect gigging tool.

The all hog models (300?). Great.

All great crafted guitars.

Don't buy sight unseen, as although they all do the job quite well,

There is the thing about a soul. It's not a cliche as you know... Gibsons have soul. They are distinctive...

Having said all this, if you are playing it first, and it grabs your soul, it doesn't matter the brand. Just get it. Your circus, your monkeys, your shekels.

You'll never know for sure unless you buy/play it for a while. In the long haul, you need to play what works best for you - and the best takes many factors into consideration. Personally, Taylor necks don't work for me and the sound tends to become homogenized after the break-in period rather than developing its own character. I say that on the basis of having owned one each body of maple, mahogany, and rosewood in the D size configuration. Doesn't mean you're wrong, necessarily, just flirting with a different lady at the moment!

Thanks for all the input !

for some who don't know I play left handed (so sight unseen is my only option)

and if I don't like the feel or sound I'll just break out one of my gibsons

Edit: I'll always be a gibson man ... Never doubt that but I need something that I won't baby as much

JC

Ummm. I speak from experience here. Acoustically speaking...

GS mini..... Great.214ce... Great. Perfect gigging tool.

The all hog models (300?). Great.

All great crafted guitars.

Don't buy sight unseen, as although they all do the job quite well,

There is the thing about a soul. It's not a cliche as you know... Gibsons have soul. They are distinctive...

Having said all this, if you are playing it first, and it grabs your soul, it doesn't matter the brand. Just get it. Your circus, your monkeys, your shekels.

Thanks! I love my 'Bird and my Martins but I'd like to have a smaller travel kick around guitar as well. GS Mini has many followers and looks to be a nice guitar.

Thanks again!

Suppose you spray us with irony here -

I had a very fine 70's Lemon Grove 510 and played several really good ones since. An issue for me tho is they are presented with coated strings, which I don't really like.

Behind that I'm sure many excellent T's can be found out there.

Wrong, , !?! , , , would be wrong to buy a fake Gibson, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , or Taylor. .

1461362123[/url]' post='1763461']

Does anyone here have a Taylor GS Mini e? I have been looking at them online and listening to them on youtube but don't know anyone with first hand experience. Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

Yes I'd better chip in with all this Taylor talk . Yes I own a GSMini e rosewood ( they also do a Koa version ) and I must say its a wonderful little guitar . I play mine most weeks during worship and its tone is wonderful , the playabilityis first class as long as you use the recommended medium gauge strings . If you do buy one make sure you get the new model with the new ES2 pickup system ( same system as the top line guitars ) . Must admit if I saw the Koa version in a store looking for a home I'd provide the bed and breakfast. I play fingerstyle and its right at home , if you have big hands you might have issues with the nut width . The only problem and it can be a big one to some players is this , the spruce top is finished with a satin coat and the wood marks really quickly , I play with fingernails ( acrylic ) and a Fred Kelly speed pick and my guitar has picked up lots of nail marks but I don't care really , buy one , for the money you can't go wrong

Strange..but of the many guitars I have owned over 40 years,

I have never had a taylor. I could never pull the trigger, but

the thought of getting one hasnt quite gone away. Very populat with the young crowd!

Folks,

Do to the negligence of the Bozeman factory to build anything but standard models ...I have started looking at other brands and found an instrument I really like :

The second player is a lot better imho

PD: I never thought I would like a taylor(I've played a few lefties that did nothing for me but this one draws my attention)

JC

I don't know man... Just don't play Dylan and Cash songs in public with it and you'll be ok with it! :P

Jokes aside, Taylors are really quality made guitar. One thing I prefer on Taylor over the Gibson is neck. Its satin, so it glides and its more comfy. Otherwise they are great guitars.

This 300 series from taylor I don't like because of all satin finish. Over the time on some parts of guitar it becomes little polished so You need to consider that it wont be evenly satin.

On the positive side these some say that wood vibrates even more with satin finish and this all hog 320 series are great sounding guitars, I tried them couple of times.

Well, if you choose to buy one, make sure You put some pictures. :)

Archived