Gibson Brands Forums

all hog guitars

Desolationrow

Desolationrow

It really doesn't matter, in my humble opinion.

I do not hold with any party, faction, or belief-system that assigns a higher grade for one style of playing to this wood, and another grade for some other style of playing to yet another brand of tree.

It's all in your hands, and much of it is in your heart.

Touch everything, play every type of guitar you can, and whenever possible, avoid buying sight-unseen from the internet.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:unsure:

Desolationrow

I do not hold with any party, faction, or belief-system that assigns a higher grade for one style of playing to this wood, and another grade for some other style of playing to yet another brand of tree.

Touch everything, play every type of guitar you can, and whenever possible, avoid buying sight-unseen from the internet.

Oh, great. It depends on me? I wanted it to be the guitar! [biggrin]

Seriously, I agree with what you say. To the OP, play as many different varieties of woods and guitar shapes/sizes as you can. You'll know what works for you. I have a number of different guitars with different qualities because I'm a big nerd about it. But it still is up to me to make the sounds I like.

Desolationrow

"I'll have one of what he's having."

And agree w/ BayouBengal- because you can't appreciate vanilla without chocolate.

Although if you only have spruce tops now, it wouldn't hurt to get a mahogany... :) I'm currently trying to decide on one myself! I was really wanting an all-mahogany J-45, but they're pricy and hard to find. Thinking D-15 or the new Guild D-20 now.

I have a Martin D15. It's great for singing along to. It also has a warm and woody sound, without too much bass (like an HD28 sometimes does), and not too much Gibson Jangle either. It really is a great guitar.

Had to laugh when I read this - you just nailed the reasons I disliked the one I owned. The warm and woody was tolerable, but the muffled bass and lack of ring from the treble strings wasn't.

I haven't heard this "hog better for vocal" stuff before, but I guess it's inevitable that every wood type or brand will at least spend some time in the spotlight of what people say.

The real truth is, what works better for vocal accopaniment has as much to do with what YOUR voice sounds like as it does with the guitar and it's sound.

All this opinion of a guy who can't, and doesn't sing.

Hey Deso, I'm no expert, but am a bit of a guitar nerd. I've never heard the "all-mahogany is better for singers" idea before.Generally speaking, an all-mahogany guitar will have a different sound than the same guitar with a spruce top. Some people hear that difference as "dull," others as "warm."

I pretty much go with the opinions already expressed that it really doesn't matter much. People (myself included) get too caught-up in all the talk about which tone wood is best for this music or that song, etc. We debate spruce tops, Adi spruce tops, torrifieds spruce tops, cedar tops, redwood tops, and on and on. Bottom line for me is that they all sound like guitars. Aside from infrequent examples, I don't think there is a "day and night" difference in tones. I can detect a tone difference between my walnut J100 and my Hummingbird, but in all sincerity, it's not that huge and one is not better than another. They both sound like guitars sound. It's not like you hear one tone and say "sure can't use that for country." (although it is universally known that a Taylor of any tone wood cannot be used for Johnny Cash music).........To the initial subject of all hog guitars. When I first got my Alvaraz AF66CESHB (sounds like one of those Martin names) I thought it sounded different from all my other guitars, because it's all mahogany. Then, after a couple weeks it sounded like all my other guitars: like a guitar. I figure if you get a decent guitar to start with.....and that guitar is "user friendly" for you and kind of speaks your language and calls your name---all the other peripheral stuff will fall-in-place.

In all fairness to mahogany top guitars, and they've been around in various incarnations for many years, not all of them conform to the sort of response we tend to associate with Martin's current 15-series instruments. My Stromberg-Voisenet parlor guitar, Gibson LG-0 models I've owned in the past, hog top banner J-45s that it has been my good fortune to play, original Martin 15/17 models, and I'll bet most of us could keep the list rolling, are all unique unto themselves. And all of 'em, budget Harmony models from the 1950s and 1960s included, sound like guitars. Missouri is correct and I, for one, applaud his articulation. My distaste for the current Martin line of 15's stems mostly from an unwillingness to pay over $1000 for something that even at its best will sound to me like it's in dire need of fresh strings. Just me - consider the source and move on! LOL

It doesn't matter what type of wood is used for any particular type/style of playing.

I can't believe this. Try throwing that out in a grasser forum and you'll get laughed out. Of course there's personal tastes, but what is generally considered the best choice of tone woods for some certain styles of playing can be very exacting. Grassers are notoriously picky. Jazz players: Look at the wood differences between nylon string jazzers and steel string jazzers. It would be pretty hard to find nylon string jazzer with a spruce top and maple sides.

Regarding OP all hog - I very much appreciate all hog. Just like anything, there are plenty of gems to be found that sound great (not muffled, with ring) - but you've got to find them. Go out a play some - see if you like what you're hearing.

Just like anything, there are plenty of gems to be found that sound great (not muffled, with ring) - but you've got to find them. Go out a play some - see if like what you're hearing.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said, Big Kahune.

Only I used slightly different vowels and consonants is all.

I had always read that Mahogany top guitars were best for country blues fingerpicking....

So I have had a few all Mahogany guitars!

But the cream is my 1944 Martin 0-17, last of the wartime scalloped braced - last week I posted a track I recorded with it:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/alberta777

Martin0-17_zpspq8tpq0j.jpg

BluesKing777.

I've picked up two all hogs recently. LG-2 and an a special run for a local store Alvarez Parlor.

The LG2 did not come with the Dorito chip. I added that myself. I use that pick to measure the nut width.

594058BF-E943-47F3-B56A-D22227E2D1ED_zpsce4tgegt.jpg

80A8A46C-AE8D-44DC-8672-4A451AC01125_zpspoffcrak.jpg

@Jannus - That's a beauty. Cool slot head. Love the pyramid bridge and cutaway.

Here's my hog 00015M - it's an Elderly 40th anniversary version with ebony fretboard and bridge, and a hog J12-15M

p111Martin000-15Mmd_zpsda9f3d63.jpg

2000%20Martin%20J12-15%20front-s_zpsjxvwtdr7.jpg

Gorgeous! I'd love to hear that 12 string!

The one thing "missing" from my stable is a cutaway. I have thought hard about adding the new Martin OMC 15E cutaway. I dont have the room for it, and I dont want to lose any of the four guitars I am rotating through all the time, so I have stayed on the sidelines. But Dayummmmm, I think that would be my perfect gigging guitar.

Archived