Gibson Brands Forums

An incredible display of willpower

Lars68

Ha ha, willpower like mine!

One problem is Gibson haven't had a Custom Shop for years - before Ren Ferguson left.....correct me if I am wrong, anybody?

So Custom Shop just to paint it black? Smell rats.

BluesKing777.

You are right, it is not a custom shop guitar in that sense. It is a limited run and those tend to get the custom shop stamp at the back of the headstock, which this guitar should have. So yes, plack paint makes it custom shop, not special in any way that really matters, though.

There was also a run in 2015 and there is one now in 2016 with black Hummingbirds from Gibson. So black is not even all that limited. Don't really care for the "Limited" marketing gimmick!

Lars

Custom, Limited, Historic, etc? Who cares? These are primarily "marketing" ploys to sell guitars. If the guitar calls your name and you want it and can afford it and your wife agrees, get it. If you think the guitar is for you, don't let it slip away. I hope you get it. [thumbup]

I went to see the seller of the guitar today. We had actually met before when I sold him a soundcard not so long ago. My town is small! The Bird is now right next to me, although I have not bought it yet. The seller was short on time, but let me bring the guitar home for a few days to decide. Incredibly generous!!

I have not made up my mind yet. Need to try it some more first, but here are a few remarks so far.

Setup is terrific, plays like an electric. However, there are quite a few cosmetic issues. There are some small wood chips on both sides of the headstock corners, like someone hit a ceiling fan. The pickguard motif is worn away quite a bit, and the guard is lifting badly. Also there is a repaired and refinished area on the back, lower bout. The pick-up is upgraded according to the seller. I don't know enough about electronics and don't really need them.

The best part is the sound. Very, very lush!

The price is good, but in the end, I think this is a working musicians instrument, a player who is not so bothered about cosmetic issues and can appreciate the nicer pick-up. I will give it a day or two more before I decide, and I am definetely smitten by the Bird sound.

Lars

If the price is right enough, it's likely worthwhile getting the cosmetic issues fixed. Then, get a "flubber" pickguard and never worry about it again. If the sound and feel of the guitar are what you want, I'd take a real good look at it. Also, point-out all the issues you see and maybe get a bit better price. Bottom line for me would be the price. If I think it's a good price for this particular guitar, I figure I could get the issues corrected and still have a sweet guitar for a sweet price. Good luck on your decision, Lars. [thumbup]

Seller is smart- using the Guitar Center strategy: offer a 100% return period, get the guitar in your house, and then it's hard to return that puppy to the pound.

Glad to hear you like what you're hearing. Your observations when a/b'ed with your '40's cream puff would be most welcome. And you know black lacquer is an easy re-shoot.

Any pics while it's "visiting" with you?

Glad to hear you like what you're hearing. Your observations when a/b'ed with your '40's cream puff would be most welcome. And you know black lacquer is an easy re-shoot.

Any pics while it's "visiting" with you?

Pluz 1 -

I think black goes well with dings, scratches and scars. That faded guard too. Especially if the guitars sings = cühl

Regarding taking them home, there also the possibility you fall down to reality and suddenly hear the true color of the enchanting stranger

, , , for then to see it fall below what's already in the couch.

Well, well, well, , , we'll see. . . ^

Pluz 1 -

I think black goes well with dings, scratches and scars. That faded guard too. Especially if the guitars sings = cühl

Regarding taking them home, there also the possibility you fall down to reality and suddenly hear the true color of the enchanting stranger

, , , for then to see it fall below what's already in the couch.

Well, well, well, , , we'll see. . . ^

Don't forget the fingerprints! May drive someone particular about those kind of things crazy keeping them off.

A guy on the Nashville series had the ebony bird and every time he hit the stage - lights, cameras, fingerprints!

But apart from that - buy, buy, buy...uh uh uh uh uh.

BluesKing777.

Don't forget the fingerprints! May drive someone particular about those kind of things crazy keeping them off.

A guy on the Nashville series had the ebony bird and every time he hit the stage - lights, cameras, fingerprints!

Yea - the f-prints will be seen everywhere as the matt spots of human grease they are.

Which reminds of how much visible dust there generally is on the bursts.

Really made me cough as a long-time D-35-man.

Gang, after a good night's sleep I have decided to pass on the Bird. The cosmetic issues and repairs make it a financially too risky guitar. For a working musiscian, the nice pick-up might very well make the guitar a good value, but for me as a couch player (with sort of a collector's attitude), the guitar does not make enough sense. The pick-up is the kind that sits across the soundhole, and I would have to pay to have it removed. I would also have to repair the missing pieces of wood on the peghead corners, and deal with the lifting pickguard. Then there is a patched and painted repair on the back that I would like to see improved. In the end, it would be a lovely sounding and playing instrument, but not 100% what I would want.

All in all, a more than lovely instrument, one that has sparked my interest in Hummingbirds.

Lars

I won't post photos of the guitar since the guitar is not mine, and I respect the seller and don't want to mess with his chances finding another customer. Hope you understand.

That's completely understood, Lars. After a short period of weakness you are standing strong in the end. :)

All of the points you made on the guitar are comprehensible, no myths, no mysteries. You proved that reasonable guitar players do really exist! [biggrin]

I know the ship has sailed - and you're certainly not looking for a 'beater Hummingbird' - that wold be oxymoronic......but while i like having a guitar or two that is in Very Very Fine condition, I also like having one I can grab, and not have to worry about an errant ding from a flung spoon when my accompaniest feels I'm upstaging her. On the other hand, I do prefer to make, rather than buy - mojo.

At least you know you have the option of purchasing a factory minty new one if you like the idea of a Black Bird. G'Luck !

I know the ship has sailed - and you're certainly not looking for a 'beater Hummingbird' - that wold be oxymoronic......but while i like having a guitar or two that is in Very Very Fine condition, I also like having one I can grab, and not have to worry about an errant ding from a flung spoon when my accompaniest feels I'm upstaging her. On the other hand, I do prefer to make, rather than buy - mojo.

At least you know you have the option of purchasing a factory minty new one if you like the idea of a Black Bird. G'Luck !

I wouldn't mind the mojo either if the price reflected the condition. In this case, the upgraded pick-up kind of makes up for the cosmetic issues, and keeps the price up. I don't need or want the pick-up, so for me it becomes a problem paying extra for a feature I would then have to pay even more to have removed :-)

I liked the Hummingbird flavor, so if anyone knows of a used guitar in preferably near mint condition at a reasonable price, I might be interested.

Lars

Gang, after a good night's sleep I have decided to pass on the Bird. The cosmetic issues and repairs make it a financially too risky guitar. For a working musiscian, the nice pick-up might very well make the guitar a good value, but for me as a couch player (with sort of a collector's attitude), the guitar does not make enough sense. The pick-up is the kind that sits across the soundhole, and I would have to pay to have it removed. I would also have to repair the missing pieces of wood on the peghead corners, and deal with the lifting pickguard. Then there is a patched and painted repair on the back that I would like to see improved. In the end, it would be a lovely sounding and playing instrument, but not 100% what I would want.

All in all, a more than lovely instrument, one that has sparked my interest in Hummingbirds.

Lars

I won't post photos of the guitar since the guitar is not mine, and I respect the seller and don't want to mess with his chances finding another customer. Hope you understand.

Hey Lars,

Truley a very profound stand ! I would also like to give you a standing ovation for the integrety you have displayed of not posting photos. To me is a very true example of a musician ! As one said, another moment will surface !

Archived