Gibson Brands Forums

Play your Gibson in Long Sleeves

MorrisrownSal

You have seen my predicament.

The sadness i have, as my Martin HD28 was played by its prior owner in short sleeves, whilst he leaked toxic salt into its finish....

I vowed this shall never happen to my Gibsons!

And a good friend of mine... a forum member who SmilesFiercely (DuluthDan), has sent me the most awesome solution.

Dan makes these.... Mine will be worn proudly... the creation of a cyber friend and fellow Gibson aficionado.

I am humbled, and I thank my friend for this solution - which I will wear proudly!

Let me know when you make hats!

XDQwsHOl.jpg

Wiping down the area doesn't always stop the damage - depending on the player's sweat chemistry - especially after playing for extended periods. This is why there's a market for commercial guitar sleeves.

A few years ago I came across the idea to cut the sleeves off a long sleeved cotton T-shirt. Very comfortable and easy on the finish. I have my wife sew a button hole into the shoulder area to put a braided cotton tie through which keeps the sleeve from slipping down the arm. Simple and effective. Play in short sleeves, tanks, whatever.

GuitarSleeve-sm_zpsympiexye.jpg

Good idea. I bought a used J-45 and it had all kinds of shmutz on the arm rest area. It took a lot of careful cleaning and much elbow grease to get rid of the oil-slick left behind by the former player(s). As does slimt , I wipe the guitar down after playing. And, BTW, that is a nice version of an NSA computer system you have there Sal!

The sadness i have, as my Martin HD28 was played by its prior owner in short sleeves, whilst he leaked toxic salt into its finish....

And a good friend of mine... a forum member who SmilesFiercely (DuluthDan), has sent me the most awesome solution.

Nice shirt and logo. msp_thumbup.gif

If he really wanted to cater to the acoustic guitar set he might consider one with 3/4 sleeves. That would solve wear marks on the guitar while avoiding any dangling cuffs inadvertently muffling the picking hand strings. Sure you can just push them up but they usually find a way to slip back down while you are playing...

Great shirt, great logo.

I always wear a long-sleeve cotton T-shirt when I play any wood guitar. It's pretty nice because your arm never sticks to the guitar. The 3/4 sleeve idea is a good one.

Didn't Dan have that logo inlaid in the headstock or fretboard of one of his guitars?

XDQwsHOl.jpg

Wauw - what a luxus.

Presume the schemes and diagrams, curves and columns on the 3-winged screen are covering and informing about state of toxic fluid, body-salt, brain-pepper, skin-moisture, finger-grease-type and general physical chemistry before you start playing. Everything else would be irresponsible.

May I ask - were you a nude-player before the sweat-shirt ?

Dan makes these.... Mine will be worn proudly... the creation of a cyber friend and fellow Gibson aficionado.

I am humbled, and I thank my friend for this solution - which I will wear proudly!

Let me know when you make hats!

XDQwsHOl.jpg

Yes, very nice logo and shirt!

Urrr, the computer screens are from left to right, guitars in, guitar staying, guitars leaving! [lol] [lol] [lol]

BluesKing777.

We call them "arm socks." You can see one in my Avatar where I am playing the 1935 Jumbo.

They show up in hundreds of pictures

ainatomjims.jpg

Often long sleeves and arm socks not only won't work but are counterproductive.

Bell1.jpg

Where do you wimps play anyway? Most great music around here is not played air-conditioned luxury.

All is not lost however. Just get an arm-length rubber glove and a laboratory apron, cut away the unnecessary parts and -- for fashion reasons -- ware them under your shirt and arm sock. It is like playing in a rubber exercise suit, but it keeps the guitar dry.

Let's pick,

-Tom

You guys are nuts with your arm condoms.....

[biggrin]

I keep telling you that paint stuff is just something they put on those guitars so they can sell them.

You have to wear some of it off to let the true tone out.

I'd sweat through an arm sock immediately, and it would just exacerbate the original problem. Some of us are more prone to 'marking' guitar territory, I guess. Stains and such don't upset me much. My turnoff is trying to play an instrument that's been infused with someone's BO. Fortunately that happens less often😧

You guys are nuts with your arm condoms.....

[biggrin]

Sometime when you wish to play an old instrument which sound like angels singing but which is worth more than say West Virginia, a modicum of care is appropriate. The world is populated with with people who hear with their ears and those who hear with their eyes - and the latter category has more money. Of course some old instruments have the first property but not the second -- like the Belltone above. Alas we live in such a complex world. That's why we all need at least 200 instruments -- and arm socks. Just sayin'.

Sometime when you wish to play an old instrument which sound like angels singing but which is worth more than say West Virginia, a modicum of care is appropriate. The world is populated with with people who hear with their ears and those who hear with their eyes - and the latter category has more money. Of course some old instruments have the first property but not the second -- like the Belltone above. Alas we live in such a complex world. That's why we all need at least 200 instruments -- and arm socks. Just sayin'.

Now we are talking sense!

BluesKing777.

Love that skier logo and the Belltone logo too! Since retiring I try not to break a sweat except when working out so I don't think I need that kind of protection for my guitars. Plus you only get to wear short sleeve shirts where I live for about a month out of every year it seems. The summer following the Mount Saint Helen's eruption I don't think it ever got warm enough to wear a short sleeve shirt. But there's probably a bright future in the short sleeve market.

The best part is - after you make two guitar sleeves, you wind up with a Wife Beater shirt as a bonus!

(Or you could purchase a Guitar Bra )

http://www.violettes...er-guitars.html

My wife actually made one of those for me more than 30 years ago -- it had a water tight lining and the colors marched our old 1944 D-28.

I now have one of these -- it works on both Gibson Js and Martin Ds.

37jasY9.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived