Gibson Brands Forums

Martin "Custom Shop Aged" Announcement

BluesKing777

Dang.. Martin should learn how to glue guitars together first.. I owned a Martin 41 D28 authentic . .. it was sure authentic when it started seperating at the seams.. then they had some Martin Tech hack try to glue it back together and refinish it in spots because of the bad glue repair that sat in there shop for just about 6 months....

I would never buy another... 7000.00 guitar Lesson learned here..

as for the wear and tear models.. why? I dont get it.. some Buyers must be desperate for something old.. or I mean New.. what ever it is,, .. 40 years Ill be dust..

added.. this goes for Gibson with the worn out new stuff, and Fender with there relic crap..

Lots of oldies out there with alot more charm..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most other commenters here - . I don't get it.

It's sort of like cologne: People don't smell like flowers - but they buy artificial chemicals to spray on so they can.

When folks want a '57 Chevy - they don't want it with rust and dents. They want it to look like new.

"Purchased "Mojo"? It's like buying a Bowling Trophy at a Pawn Shop and putting it on your mantle.

That's just not fair. He's just not old enough to play like that.

Life isn't fair....

He may be one of those who are 70 but look 10.

Now I had been playing 2 years by the time I was 10 but it was tough going because my strings were an inch off the neck easy. And no forum to set us straight on measurements! So I was basically learning to use it as a bongo. But we had already found a small circle of weirdos who ploclaimed guitar as their only love and we were avid readers of Go Set magazine and then the heavy duty New Musical Express and Rolling Stone later. And this guitarist said to go over and see So and So's new guitar, another dweeb from my class, so off a couple of us 'guitarists' trooped - and watched the guy as he rattled off the jazz guitar equivalent of the kid in the video above. Wow, wow and WOW. Archtop jazz blues all ovver the neck.

No idea what happened to him but never heard of him again.

BluesKing777.

I don't mind the dings that have come with my used guitar purchases, but the idea of purchasing a new instrument that's been reliced is a complete turn-off. If I'm buying new, any wear needs to come from my hands, rather than from the Custom Shop.

Surely there's an art to it, but it seems more like artistic forgery.

Surely there's an art to it, , ,

Call it art, call it artisanry - I know what you mean.

But there sure is a paradox too.

They clearly underline that a rounded edge, a fade or hole through the lacquer or paint is a 30-40 year process which can't be imitated overnite.

Still exactly that is the core-project. Okay, they might not design the 100 % right fade in one move with one single sanding-attack, but. . .

The contradiction is too big to bridge.

To re-create the genuine, unique and casual beauty of 40 years wear within 4 days of artificial, hyper-conscious, focused craftsmanship is the recipe for kitsch, , ,

and a ticket to the need for some level of psychological healing.

I seriously don't think you slip unharmed through that custom shop program. The employees will walk away scarred like the guitars.

I don't mind the dings that have come with my used guitar purchases, but the idea of purchasing a new instrument that's been reliced is a complete turn-off. If I'm buying new, any wear needs to come from my hands, rather than from the Custom Shop.

Surely there's an art to it, but it seems more like artistic forgery.

PLUS 1 there brother! Like WTF?.......Forceful selling all around us. [thumbdn]

Why pay for someone to age your guitar when you can do it naturally yourself?

These take on guitars are long overdue and so obvious it's not real anymore. :unsure:

Peace!

Hey? For all we know the manufacturers are just getting rid of the Rejects/B-Stocks with blemishes and orange peel etc. and turning them into Relics and worn out/aged guitar. That way they can get rid off any instruments that didn't pass QC? [thumbup]

It's been done but proof like it or not nobody would know.

Trans

Hey? For all we know the manufacturers are just getting rid of the Rejects/B-Stocks with blemishes and orange peel etc. and turning them into Relics and worn out/aged guitar. That way they can get rid off any instruments that didn't pass QC? [thumbup]

Trans

😮 That's so cynical!!

I'm surprised I didn't say it

Trans

Good one. New employee perk- take home some inventory on the weekends; go nuts, fellas.

Don't bother stamping a "2" on there, it'$ Aged.

Sorry guys but really? Who would know if its was a B or 2?

I've seen B and 2 stocks being bought up and sold as new.....and some of those serial numbers behind the headstocks on certain Gibson models are hardly there anymore with all the lacquer poured into it.

My bad here as I may have given away the silent secret. Can of worms I just opened.

Trans

Sorry guys but really? Who would know if its was a B or 2?

I've seen B and 2 stocks being bought up and sold as new.....and some of those serial numbers behind the headstocks on certain Gibson models are hardly there anymore with all the lacquer poured into it.

My bad here as I may have given away the silent secret. Can of worms I just opened.

Trans

I recently sold a j29

One prospective buyer said no because he thought the thing had been resprayed because of serial no almost not there

I recently sold a j29

One prospective buyer said no because he thought the thing had been resprayed because of serial no almost not there

There you go!..................and yes you have the right to be anal when buying a Gibson!! [thumbup]

Trans

PS! I love the J-29......so under rated along with the J-15, never mind the J-35 [biggrin]

Same as the relic'ing thing that sparks massive debates with electric guitars. Not my thing and prefer to "age" my guitars as far as wear is concerned on my own, over time and through actually playing them, but at the same time don't judge anyone else who is into these and buys one. We all have our reasons and what motivates us toward certain guitars. If it motivates you to pick up the guitar and play it more, that's cool with me!

Same as the relic'ing thing that sparks massive debates with electric guitars. Not my thing and prefer to "age" my guitars as far as wear is concerned on my own, over time and through actually playing them, but at the same time don't judge anyone else who is into these and buys one. We all have our reasons and what motivates us toward certain guitars. If it motivates you to pick up the guitar and play it more, that's cool with me!

Yes and I have come across those as well, but of all the Les Paul's I have purchased and collected/traded off. I only have...must admit a sort of aged (more of a flat finish) in a way before this fiasco went out of hand...2007 VOS R9. [thumbup]

Trans

Will they be doing a Custom Shop Aged D 420? Complete with vintage (s)toner.

Or a Custom Shop Aged Trigger to compete with the Aaron Lewis?

I hereby announce my candidature for a job in the Ageing Department of their Custom Shop. Being paid artisan's wages for vandalizing Martins? What's not to like?

My take on this. I love a well aged guitar, played by many hands over many years. My went-to-WWII Gibson is a prime example. I hold it, play a tune or three, and try to imagine where it's been and who has played it. I've no interest in an artificial version

But, this said, if there's a market for artificial aging - and there most certainly is in the electric guitar universe - then I applaud a venerable guitar maker for entering the market. Building and "aging" a new guitar hurts no one and if folks find pleasure in buying and playing them, I believe the quotient of happiness in the musical universe has increased, which is a very good thing.

Fellas? there is a fine line really.

Guys like us like our Levi's, and then there are Wranglers and Lee..

Peace!

I hate to think where you might place L.L. Bean's extensive lines of jeans in that universe, including many that are artificially "aged". I hope you buy only shrink-to-fit, dark indigo, rigid clean, unwashed Levi's 501 button-fly jeans. Nothing stonewashed or any of that other PC stuff.

Archived