Gibson Brands Forums

Studio headphones

Dub-T-123

Hey guys first off thanks for the help in the MacBook thread, I'm currently posting from my new MacBook, got my interface connected and Logic installed, and I'm heading to the studio later today to start putting it to use.

We will probably just use the monitors at the studio but I could use a decent pair of headphones for home. I'm wondering what you guys like, bonus points if its something I could just run and grab at GC and not super expensive.

I bought a set of Shure SRH440 and a few months later I used a set of Sennhesier HD380 PRO at a friends and that ruined me for my own headpshones.

Granted, back then those Sennheisers were twice the price of mine but damned I wish I'd never used them. Now they are $150, I may get a set of those one of these days.

Thanks guys! I forgot my buddy has a pair of Sennheiser HD280 in the studio already.

I ended up going to GC and getting a pair of AKG K240 to try which are open back and about $70. My thought was that the open back might be nice for what I’m doing at home while the closed back Sennheisers will be used for vocals. First impressions are good, I saved the original packaging in case I want to return them

Sony 7506 are "flat" reproduction style HPhns. And there only around 100$ or so@ GC or where ever. When I say "flat" I refer to the EQ/level playback on them,,you only hear exactly what is recorded, no more ,,no less,,,no "coloring" of EQ//levels//panning ect That many HPns do.

Hey thanks for all the input guys. Bill, I think those seem like a great idea for my drummer. do you have any issues with latency with those?

Jorge how are you liking the new phones?

I got the AKG K240 as I previously mentioned and they sound really great (open back). My only complaint is that after wearing them for a bit they start to become uncomfortable on my head and when I take them off I kept ripping my hair out in some part of them. I didn't consider comfort that much at first, but it really started to bug me, so I am returning those, and I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros instead.

The Beyerdynamics are about as comfortable as it gets and they sound REALLY good [thumbup]

I gotta say the AKGs are an amazing value IMO they just have a few kinks to work out with the ergonomics at least for my noggin

I am linking them, just got them last night though as they were backordered.

They seem a bit lighter than I remember which is not a bad thing, they are very comfortable, they have amazing bass for sure, the real test will be to listen to an all analog LP through my NAD receiver and see how that sounds.

I like the fact that they fold and come with a carrying case.

I am linking them, just got them last night though as they were backordered.

They seem a bit lighter than I remember which is not a bad thing, they are very comfortable, they have amazing bass for sure, the real test will be to listen to an all analog LP through my NAD receiver and see how that sounds.

I like the fact that they fold and come with a carrying case.

I'm sure that will sound amazing [thumbup] Have fun with that

I'm listening to Fragile with the Beyerdynamics right now and it is incredible. I am hearing things that I never even noticed before like weird little random tape glitches. The clarity is really outstanding on these. Granted I'm listening through iTunes but my audio is going through the Apogee Element 46 which is a pretty badass unit

No latency at all. Sound quality is great too

I'm really surprised how cheap those are. Definitely gonna suggest that my drummer gets some, thanks

Archived