Gibson Brands Forums

What makes a guitar great?

SteveFord

I spent £45.00 on this from a West Croydon pawnshop; was worth more £450.00 when I bought it before the re-fret.

When I had it finished for £400/£500 ; they said it was a custom in every sense of the word and would cost at least £2, 000.00 to have one made/to replace it, so that's how much it's worth.

My Tele/Strat hybrid.

My guitar guy recognised it and told me all about it including who built it and where.

This was built by a man named Doug in Surrey, England who no longer builds guitars due to health reasons.

Strat body/tele electronics, mother of pearl inlays, bone nut; Acoustic guitar neck profile.

The basic answer for me is "how it plays".........

To me, if it is of decent quality and plays great, the player will sound his/her best. At that point, pick up swaps, electronic swaps, amps, pedals, etc, can get the sound you want..........and the better you play, the better you'll sound.

All that being said.........I have a custom shop R8 that was in the $4000 range......it's amazing, I love it. It was a MAJOR purchase for me, but it's a "dream guitar".

At the same time......I have a Fender American Special Strat that I bought used for $650 in a hardshell case that is KILLER. Not just killer for "that kind of money", but killer when put up against many higher end guitars.

For me, this is one of the reasons I don't buy guitars online. I NEED to touch them and feel them and how they play to know if it's right for me. I realize everyone is not as lucky as I am. I have 3 guitar shops fairly close by that carry great selections and treat their customers very well.

Just my rambling on the subject.....

NHTom

The way it plays. I have a $200.00 guitar that I put a Kahler whammy on, DiMarzio pickups in it, had fret/neck work done when I bought it. It plays as well as my $3000.00 Gibsons. My $899 Gibson Tribute plays as well as my Standard. I've played MIM Strats and Teles that play as well as their American made counterparts, if not better. The other guitarist in my band has an Epiphone Les Paul that he paid $200.00 for and it plays and sounds as good as my Traditional. I'm not opposed to spending money on quality instruments but there's a lot of gig ready guitars for less than $500.00. I own "the guitar" for me. As much as I love my Les Pauls, my 1981 V is "it." The sound and playability of that guitar far exceeds all the others I've ever played. But, searching for them and playing them sure is fun.

Pippy didn't include the Flying V in his iconic guitar list, so we're gonna have to have words over that. [flapper]

Did I get a gig that you unfortunately auditioned for? You should know better.

rct

No, I’ve never auditioned or played in a band that played a Billy Joel tune in a dive in front of 20 people and was played in different keys.

Then posted the video of it on Facebook.

And I do know better.

No, I’ve never auditioned or played in a band that played a Billy Joel tune in a dive in front of 20 people and was played in different keys.

Then posted the video of it on Facebook.

And I do know better.

Do I owe you money?

rct

Naw, I’m west coast. Just stay the way you are. Very entertaining!

I’ll leave you alone now since folks are giving me negative votes and it really hurts my feelings. lol

Carry on. [smile]

No, you don't have to leave me alone. I usually know someone I've ticked off here or some other guitar place, and they usually have a good reason, and I usually understand completely. I don't know who you are, I don't recall ticking you off directly but that doesn't mean I didn't, and I'd understand and more than likely apologize.

You could also just not like me and that is fine too, but just say it. Don't post here once a month following me around, it's kinda creepy.

rct

No, you don't have to leave me alone. I usually know someone I've ticked off here or some other guitar place, and they usually have a good reason, and I usually understand completely. I don't know who you are, I don't recall ticking you off directly but that doesn't mean I didn't, and I'd understand and more than likely apologize.

You could also just not like me and that is fine too, but just say it. Don't post here once a month following me around, it's kinda creepy.

rct

PM sent. No need to highjack any further.

Donny, beam me up ...

[laugh] [laugh]

It's all too subjective. My great guitar is your plank. Irrespective of cost.

I enjoy rct's comments and hope he continues to post. Don't quite understand all the recent flak, but then I'm British old chap.

Where's Farnsbarns?

:-k

[laugh] [laugh]

It's all too subjective. My great guitar is your plank. Irrespective of cost.

I enjoy rct's comments and hope he continues to post. Don't quite understand all the recent flak, but then I'm British old chap.

Where's Farnsbarns?

:-k

msp_thumbup.gif

Lol I was on pingpongbob’s page last night trying to figure out how to block his posts and his recent posts are just quoting and trying to insult RCT

I dunno what happened it seemed like around a month or two ago this place just flipped

The set up makes a world of difference.

The cost of a guitar doesn't determine if it's good or bad in my opinion.

Last time I took my MIM Tele to a shop the sales guys fell literally in love with it because of look, sound and feel. And it wasn't the first time someone told me that it sounds fantastic.

And then there's my LPJ wich is 100% what a Les Paul should be, only stripped down because of the lack of binding and satin finished. I would have a really hard time to find a replacement that sounds and feels that good if I'd loose it somehow.

Archived