Who has your favorite Les Paul tone?

csbullock

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got two Les Paul tone favorites:

The Jimmy Page sound

and

Townshend's Les Paul Deluxe with the third DiMarizo pickup added between the two mini humbuckers. I know some people might not agree with me saying that a Norlin-era Paul has the best sound, but just watch the Live at Kilburn 77 DVD and you'll probably agree.

(I've been away for a long time - internet issues !). Clapton on Fresh Cream (particularly Sleepy Time Time) & Beano (particularly Have You Heard). Jimmy Page on Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin II - 1969) & Since I've Been Loving You (Led Zeppelin III - 1970). Billy Gibbons in the early & mid 70's viz BEFORE the dance/synth thing, when he could really play (Brown Sugar has to be a definitive Les Paul tone - I hope he wasn't playing something else !!). Peter Green & Mick Taylor generally when they have Pauls plugged-in. Listen to Mick T on John Mayall's 70th Birthday Concert (esp Oh Pretty Woman). Nearly everything Paul Kossoff did, but lots of stuff wasn't a Lester & some stuff I thought was Paul (Kossoff) was actually someone else (eg Wishing Well). I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Incidentally Albert King gets the best Les Paul/Humbucker tone I've ever heard...errr....not actually on a Les Paul but on a Flying V !!

Nearly everything Paul Kossoff did' date=' but lots of stuff wasn't a Lester & some stuff I thought was Paul (Kossoff) was actually someone else (eg Wishing Well).[/quote']

Starting out with the proviso that "I might be wrong...", according to the sleeve notes of 'The Free Story';

"...Koss did make part of the 'Heartbreaker' sessions but an old friend of Rabbit's, Snuffy, filled in when neccessary.....the single, 'Wishing Well', created some interest."

Mick Ronson and Brian Roberston/Scott Gorham.

Mick Ronson somehow could get his LP from beefy fuzz to cutting like a sword.

Just listen to any Thin Lizzy and you would understand the full fledged LP glory. Jailbreak isn't only a great hard rock album but its also one of the best showcases of a Les Paul's capabilities.

Archived