Gibson Brands Forums

My favorite time of the year. Most definitely because I am a public school teacher and do not work for about 7 weeks during the Summer.

So, of course, I love it!

But more than just having time off, I like Baseball, and going swimming,  traveling, and going to outdoor music venues.

I also love the fact that it doesn't get dark until 9 pm.

What do you guys like about Summer? Or don't like? :-k   Got any plans this Summer?

No surprise, I love summer too!

Eating outside, hiking with my wife and dogs.  Long days.  Less work outside.   

In my part of Oregon, spring is a very busy time.  Lots of outdoor chores.   Mowing is the main one, but that's not all,  and I have 6 acres so it's a bit of work maintaining it.  But, in the summer, basically right about now, it gets really dry so the grass in the "pasture" stops growing.  By then I've got everything else buttoned up and I can relax!

Oh, and wearing shorts and t-shirts all the time.

• Like 1

Summers here in Central Texas can be long, brutally hot and humid.  Outdoor activities are best completed in the morning, with afternoons and early evenings spent indoors with air conditioning.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

It gets very hot in the Central Valley of California as well. But many nights, in Sacramento, it cools down 30-40 degrees or more when the Delta breeze blows in from the Bay Area. 

That breeze is so nice.  It makes the evenings enjoyable. 

We have very little variance in temperatures here.  Effects of any breeze depends on what direction it comes from.  Any wind from the Southeast (Gulf Coast) means higher humidity and greater chances of rain, which means even more humidity.  😝  Winds from the Southwest, West or North usually means less humidity and much more pleasant temperatures.  Every day is a new adventure.  😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

women that dress for 95 degree weather then go grocery shopping in a supermarket chilled like an icebox

I see your mind is in the gutter... right next to mine.  😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to be the voice of descent, but I have some negatives.

1/ Summer is noisy. Loud music in gardens, the street, from cars with windows down, shrieking kids, drunks walking home etc. I am over sensitive to noise. I wish I wasn't. 

2/ The deluge experienced so far has likely trebled the unwanted growth in my garden. Weeds and hedge are out of control, and I will struggle to cut it all down, especially as I am still anemic ATM. 

• Upvote 1

I'm a summer guy.

It does get hot here in South Florida, but on the Atlantic Coast there is usually a nice sea breeze. I don't use the AC so I'm acclimated to the heat -- grew up without it, never needed it. When I was a child, if the temperature got over 85, it was literally front page news in the local paper (Pompano Beach Town News). As summer temperatures now often reach 90, I am a believer in global warming. I've seen it in my lifetime.

Since the winter residents (aka snowbirds) are 'up north' there is less traffic, there are fewer people on the beaches, and there is better parking at stores (if you can find a shady spot).

I like the longer days, the scantily dressed females (including and especially my beautiful wife), the trade winds, the frequent afternoon thunderstorms, and so much more. I like that it seldom gets lower than 70 degrees F (anything under 70 is too cold for man or beast).

The down side is that since almost half our residents go back 'up north' in the summer, there are fewer gigs. That's when I write aftermarket style and song products for Band-in-a-Box.  Before BiaB I used to either travel 'up north' or work on cruise ships in the summer, both of which caused me to miss my favorite time of year here.

Summer is my favorite time of year.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Sorry to be the voice of descent, but I have some negatives.

1/ Summer is noisy. Loud music in gardens, the street, from cars with windows down, shrieking kids, drunks walking home etc. I am over sensitive to noise. I wish I wasn't. 

2/ The deluge experienced so far has likely trebled the unwanted growth in my garden. Weeds and hedge are out of control, and I will struggle to cut it all down, especially as I am still anemic ATM. 

Some people live life, some live to complain.

Sorry gramps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't say that I have one favourite season. I like them all pretty much in equal measure.

Here in the south-east corner of our small island the weather never gets too hot nor too cold. Never too wet nor too dry. There's always something nice about whichever time of year we are in at any particular moment. Perhaps I'm just too easily satisfied?

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pippy said:

I can't say that I have one favourite season. I like them all pretty much in equal measure.

Here in the south-west corner of our small island the weather never gets too hot nor too cold. Never too wet nor too dry. There's always something nice about whichever time of year we are in at any particular moment. Perhaps I'm just too easily satisfied?

Pip.

You need to hang out with M-E more and learn to see the dark lining around the silver clouds.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[laugh]

I'd love to get the chance to hang out with m-e  - and a great deal of the others here, too.

And you never know; perhaps my childlike simplicity and uncritical acceptance of All Things Being As They Are would rub off on m-e instead of it being the other way around? We could get plastered together and head home, singing raucously, to our respective homes; all the time marvelling in sheer wonderment at how tall the roses are growing!

Pip.

• Like 1

i like summer because it means riding and bass fishing.   last month i bought a house, and last weekend, 2 puppies. that means that this summer will not be spent riding or fishing. it'll be spent cutting the vines off the back fence, refinishing the deck,  sealing the bilco doors, and cleaning up dog pee. you can;t ge mad at them though, because they are way too cute i would love to post an image, but for whatever reason the forum wont let me. i have no patience right now to screw around trying to figure out why the ef this forum auto edits my bb code

Edited by american cheez
  • Like 1

Summer isn't my favorite season as its too hot and humid here. I cant walk Sundance most days as he cant take the heat but I do agree with most here that I can get outside in lighter clothing and shorts.  Mornings and evenings usually cools down some from 7:00 to 9:00 am and  8:00 to 10:00 pm so I try to get my work done then.  Like now the Heat Index is 102 with 61% humidity and it's 3:50pm. My favorite season is Fall with all the pretty colors of the trees, cooler weather  in the 70's and still go out with shorts and t-shirts. Haha, I typed T-Shirts and had to take a second look, It said, t-shits. LOL. This computer constantly changes my spellings and words. so if somethings wrong it wasn't intentional. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Retired said:

Summer isn't my favorite season as its too hot and humid here. I cant walk Sundance most days as he cant take the heat but I do agree with most here that I can get outside in lighter clothing and shorts.  Mornings and evenings usually cools down some from 7:00 to 9:00 am and  8:00 to 10:00 pm so I try to get my work done then.  Like now the Heat Index is 102 with 61% humidity and it's 3:50pm. My favorite season is Fall with all the pretty colors of the trees, cooler weather  in the 70's and still go out with shorts and t-shirts. Haha, I typed T-Shirts and had to take a second look, It said, t-shits. LOL. This computer constantly changes my spellings and words. so if somethings wrong it wasn't intentional. 

Yeah, this question does depend a lot on your local climate.  I grew up in South Florida and I hate the summer weather there.  November through February was my favorite time there.   

It can get pretty hot here sometimes, but usually in the summer it's 70s-80s and very low humidity.  

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love it, love all seasons... living near Boston we've got 4 distinct seasons, love em all, gotta take em all head on.  For me summer is getting up early 4:30ish...  heading out to the chicken coop and playing guitar for a couple hours.   They all come hang out by me.  3 of them have started to learn a routine to one of their favorites.  Then on to the computer for a bit,  if a break in the schedule happens, maybe a little bass fishing.  Throw in managing the goat rodeo 3 kids and 2 dogs can throw at you and i'm occupied just right.

M.E. above - mentioning noise sensitive, (...don't like the summer with open windows etc...)  any opportunity to move to the burbs.  The noise is less, and the season becomes nice.

• Like 1

I grew up in Georgia, where Summers are very hot, and the humidity is awful. I remember how at night it often was still hot outside. I loved the countryside, the green side of Georgia. I miss that. But I do not miss the humidity.

Living in California for the past 32 years has made me quite spoiled. I now find it very hard to go anywhere where there is high humidity. The dry heat we get here is wonderful. I know that sounds weird. But I spent so much of my life with humid air that when I feel 100 degree temperatures here, they just don't feel that hot to me as others around me.

I always tell them. This is nothing compared to Georgia, or Texas, or New York, or....[smile]