Gibson Brands Forums

Help with next Gibson

Violeiro

Assuming you want some well rounded variety  -   an SJ200  will get you further  than a Dove.  Different body, longer neck  - and in natural, you'll get a different look. Obviously, in maple.  More widely accepted and recognized as well.  Probably a better 'investment' too.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Assuming you want some well rounded variety  -   an SJ200  will get you further  than a Dove.  Different body, longer neck  - and in natural, you'll get a different look. Obviously, in maple.  More widely accepted and recognized as well.  Probably a better 'investment' too.   

I don’t know if they’re all the same but all of the newer TV’s I’ve seen have been rosewood. Gibson.com states RW too.  I think the standard is maple. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave F said:

I don’t know if they’re all the same but all of the newer TV’s I’ve seen have been rosewood. Gibson.com states RW too.  I think the standard is maple. 

It gets confusing.  OP said he was interested in the Vintage model for the SJ200.   That's listed as a currently available model with the B/S specs as maple.  (There is a Deluxe model with RoseWood back and sides.) I suggested the also available  Standard model, which is maple, but available in Natural. You brought up the TV model and said the later versions were RW.   thought they were discontinued 5 or 6 years ago, and only came in maple. Could be wrong... could be a 'Limited Five Star Dealer" custom run out there.   Not knowing if  the OP's J45TV and Hummingbird TVs are NEW or USED (given they don't make them anymore),  I guess at the end of the day, he'll have to decide what he's looking for in terms of establishing his own criteria. 

As far as the Dove goes.....  "Second Verse, Same As The First".   

An SJ200 Vintage

and

this NOS 2015 Hummingbird Maple Quilt because as much as I like the sound of the Dove, I'm not a fan of the aesthetics.  Plus OP said he's sold on short scale:

https://www.killervintagespecialtyguitars.com/product-page/2015-gibson-hummingbird-quilt

CE7QUzC.png

yVAgaKt.png

As for the TV designation on the OP's Hummingbird Vintage, I think this an example of Gibson's goofy naming choices.  I think the TV refers to the burst only.