Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
H725

Certificate Of Authenticity

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty" 1957 Anniversary in Italy back in 1998. I would like to bring my guitar in Canada. At a music shop in Canada, I was told that I might be asked for the COA when I go through the Canada Customs. I lost my COA. What is the procedure to get a new one, please? 

Gibson will not issue replacement COAs.   I don't know for sure but I would doubt that you'd have to have one in this circumstance.  Most guitars don't have COA's at all and I doubt that most Customs agents would know which guitars should have one and which shouldn't.  But maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Gibson will not issue replacement COAs.   I don't know for sure but I would doubt that you'd have to have one in this circumstance.  Most guitars don't have COA's at all and I doubt that most Customs agents would know which guitars should have one and which shouldn't.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed.  I would bet they don't do this easily IF they even do.  I could easily buy some Chibson, request some COA, voila!  I could only see you getting a replacement if you sent the guitar in to them directly to ask for a reissue of a COA. 

But OP, it is really simple to call them.  Maybe time zones could be an issue, but how much does it mean to you to have this I suppose...  And I don't think that customs will fully validate the COA as OK to have enter the country if found to be some source of credible threat.  It's not like a passport or certified ID.  Hope you don't have any issues traveling with the guitar though.  Best of luck. 

Never had a customs agent ask for a COA on a guitar, and travelled across borders many times.  Few guitars have a COA to begin with.

No Gibson will not re-issue a COA - think about it a little in terms of all the counterfeit guitars out there.

Is taking a guitar across the US-Can border like smuggling drugs? 

Step out of the car and put your hands behind your back. Your going away for a long time for not having a  COA while entering the US or Canada.

Never got a COA with a Fender or Martin or Ric or  Guild or the Warmoths I've made out of there necks and bodies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is taking a guitar across the US-Can border like smuggling drugs? 

Step out of the car and put your hands behind your back.

Ah ah ah! It was weird when they told me. But you know, it's a quite expensive guitar. So I am doing my best not to get stuck at the airport or having any issues anyway. 

Have a great day!