Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson 1936 AJ Reissue

BluesKing777

I wonder if that price will come down a bit once they get into circulation?

Delivered to my door, if that is even possible anymore, it works out to $AU 8,148.37!!!!

Dunno, dunno, dunno and a last DUNNO! Youtube sent this video to me. Go away.

It is getting towards Lotto win money. I better go play my pawn shop prizes - Dove and J50 - at lunchtime - in one hour's time!  [biggrin]

The Gibson train appears to be back on the rails - hope they can keep the steam up.

BluesKing777.

P.S.  One of my local Shops still has the older models arriving! What is that about?

Edited by BluesKing777

When I think of what I could do with 5K in the vintage market...

I like that arrangement of 'Maybe I'm Amazed' enough to put it on my list of things to learn.  I'll be back with my rendition in a couple years.

I played a weathered early 70's Dove belonging to a client last week.  Stellar booming woody darkness and a gorgeous deep amber'd top, much preferred to my ear than the AJ in the clip.  I still hear the 'new' in new guitars and seem to have some aversion.  Maybe I can't hear the warmth.

Edited by jedzep

23 minutes ago, jedzep said:

I like that arrangement of 'Maybe I'm Amazed' enough to put it on my list of things to learn.  I'll be back with my rendition in a couple years.

I played a weathered early 70's Dove belonging to a client last week.  Stellar booming woody darkness and a gorgeous deep amber'd top, much preferred to my ear than the AJ in the clip.  I still hear the 'new' in new guitars and seem to have some aversion.  Maybe I can't hear the warmth.

Then Maybe You’re Not Amazed

51 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Maybe I can't hear the warmth.

well, it is an AJ.

26 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Then Maybe You’re Not Amazed

😬.

Don’t know if it was her Bachelor of Science degree in Jazz talking, but that was a  nicely done version of B.I.A.

As far as what vw1300 was saying- does an AJ really need to be torrefied?

Edited by 62burst
I can’t spell torrefied

8 hours ago, jedzep said:

JZ,
I think the mic 🎤 placement in that clip wasn’t the best this video does the AJ much more justice:

I think you will grab a better hint at the tone after hearing that one.

These guitars are out of this world and I played the entire Historic Line .

Music Villa posted this today after getting a batch of Historics in:

New 2020 Gibson’s have arrived!!! We’re shocked by the tone & quality... Gibson has just leveled up, big time! AMAZING instruments with that classic/vintage Gibson appeal! 

JC

• Like 1

Love the guitar, hate the finish.

I predict Gibson will offer it in a conventional gloss for another $500.

The VOS may stop me from getting one, but I need to see one in the flesh. Not paying that kind of money for a new guitar without playing it, that's for sure.

If it really is an ultra-thin finish, it may be risky to try to gloss it up with Virtuoso. I've used that successfully on a "standard" VOS finish, but the ultra-thin may be a different animal.

Maybe it would be possible to custom -order with a more conventional gloss finish for extra $$$.

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

I predict Gibson will offer it in a conventional gloss for another $500.

😀. Why not? Paying more for a True Vintage to get a guitar sans electronics and nothing under the saddle but bridge (without anything stuck to it), is something I’ve begrudgingly done a few times.

The thin finishes that Gibson is doing on many of their guitars lately is commendable. But if you’d seen that ultraviolet photo I’d taken of the torrefied  top on the Hummingbird Vintage, you’d recall that the finish is more “opened up”, and that the nitro’ really sinks in between the grain lines. 

And yes, Lindsey makes that AJ sound good.

Edited by 62burst

I'm not understanding the excitement over this one — especially given the VOS finish. The sound in the first video was less than wonderful. In addition I always find impressions people share about acoustic guitars from big shows a bit perplexing. Based on my experience, if there was ever an environment NOT appropriate to judge the sound of an acoustic guitar it would be inside of a large, open building that is crowded with tons of other people making noise. 

4 hours ago, Guth said:

I'm not understanding the excitement over this one — especially given the VOS finish. The sound in the first video was less than wonderful. In addition I always find impressions people share about acoustic guitars from big shows a bit perplexing. Based on my experience, if there was ever an environment NOT appropriate to judge the sound of an acoustic guitar it would be inside of a large, open building that is crowded with tons of other people making noise. 

G,
Actually Gibson Acoustic has it’s own room this year and you could hear yourself play just fine.I enjoyed playing the entire historic  collection and they knocked my socks off.

I hate rosewood guitars but these rosewood Gibsons are the finest rosewood guitars that my ears have heard.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar
  • Like 1

I am fortunate to own a Martin OM18 Authentic, production of these Custom Shop models ceased a while back - but the marketing flog initially was the torrefied top and THIN finish combined with exact bracing and other specs would make it sound like a 1933 guitar. I don’t know if it does because I have never played an old Martin OM18 and the chances are slim to zero, but it does sound ‘old’, ‘vintage’ and also SOUNDS and plays fantastic. Can’t ask for more than that!

I also have 2 Waterloo WL-14 ....one X and one ladder braced......and these sound really old! And they DON’T have torrefied tops. But they do have very thin matt finishes. I don’t know what Bill Collings’ secret sauce was.....works though!

If Gibson can achieve a vintage sound with the torrefied tops and thin finishes, great news! Maybe they will one day go the whole way and give us an L.00 with a baseball neck and torrefied top and thin finish! (And a new case, though...don’t want a paper case!😁)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

Lars,

Actually I love the new thin finishes too!!

JC

Juan, I appreciate the insight.    I have a J-45 Banner from that first run couple years back with the VOS and it polished up without any real effort.   I'm just going to have to see the finish on the new AJ  and hear the instrument in person as an AJ is the next Gibson I plan on buying.  Was looking used first until I heard this was coming, and then the VOS stopped me dead.  I like a gloss to start with on a new guitar. The J-45 sound and feel beat the finish issue.  Maybe the same will happen on the AJ when I get near one.