Gibson Brands Forums

2020 Historic Acoustic Lineup

jw3571

44 minutes ago, jw3571 said:

Anyone been able to play any of the 2020 Historic lineup?  I'm pretty intrigued by the SJ200 Pre War as well as the 1942 Southern Jumbo.

I ordered  three.  I should se those in a month or so. Maybe longer till the health issues clear up. Im not in any rush.  

The Rosewood SJ200  , Rosewood SJ , and the Advanced Jumbo.    The SJ200 has the ebony board and bridge. Just like my Custom shop ones from the 90s   I have been thinking of getting a Regal J200.   

I played all of them at NAMM.

The 1957 SJ 200 blonde (maple) & the 1942 Southern Jumbo (rosewood) were my favorites and I hate rosewood guitars so that’s saying something.

I’m thinking of it  Southern Jumbo still.

Realistically though I might only be able to get the LG 2 1942.

The AJ and Southern Jumbo blow any rosewood Martin I’ve ever played out of the water.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

I ordered a 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst on Feb 6 this year.

I'm in Australia and ETA back then was 4 to 6 months.

I believe Bozeman has closed and I'm wondering if I'll even get it this year.

p.s. Anyone like to guess what the price blows out to down here?

Edited by Brucebubs

Not to send this off the rails but could anyone here explain why the Slash J-45 is priced at $700 more than the Standard, because the specs are pretty close to one another.

I know the neck is baseball bat size but that's a lot of cash for a thicker neck. Just curious.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, olie said:

Not to send this off the rails but could anyone here explain why the Slash J-45 is priced at $700 more than the Standard, because the specs are pretty close to one another.

I know the neck is baseball bat size but that's a lot of cash for a thicker neck. Just curious.

Dont take this the wrong way. 
It has his Name on it.   Maybe ask why there is 15 varieties of J45s that vary in price from 2000 to 6000 gs when there all just a J45 . Tuners, pick guards and pickups dont warrant that price difference. When in the early 90s it was 1 guitar . 

if there was any new J45 to be had it would be a Legend for the money. Thats the closest to warrant big money. 

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

I ordered a 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst on Feb 6 this year.

I'm in Australia and ETA back then was 4 to 6 months.

I believe Bozeman has closed and I'm wondering if I'll even get it this year.

p.s. Anyone like to guess what the price blows out to down here?

If I could afford any one of these, that’s the one I would get too.

7 hours ago, jw3571 said:

How much overlap is there between the Southern Jumbo and AJ?  Stupid to own both?

No, not stupid if you like RW guitars. The AJ has a different body shape, bracing, neck shape and long scale. I own a AJ and for  sure will check out that Historic SJ as soon as they let us out again and the guitar hits a store in my area. 

The price ranges for the   "J-45"  are, like all things we buy and sell, a function of the cost of producing it  and the demand for it. Demand or desirability is related to scarcity and cosmetic appeal.     We'll pay more (and get charged more) for a black pearl translucent Corvette than one that is painted pea soup green.    Some here argue the countless iterations of the J-45 are not all real, "official" J-45s.  Take the  J45 Studio - slimmer body, walnut B&S as well as fingerboard, which is not radiuses.  Same Studio model guitar - is $500 more with Rosewood.  And a Standard J45 is $750 more at $2750. While the  the J45 Custom with Rosewood  is $250 more than the standard 'hog.  The Slash model is $750 more than the Standard, with a different neck profile and fingerboard radius, burst, hardware,  etc.   The most expensive currently offered - stepping  up another $800 - is the 1942 Banner J45 at $4800, with thermally aged Adirondack Spruce, bone N&S and hide glue.      Obviously at a price higher than the cost differential of the upgraded wood.  With Walnut and Richlite and the popularity of 'endangered species' including RW and Ebony -  the upcharge for those will continue to move proportionately higher.  

So - the low end for an actual J45 (standard) is $2750 and $4800 for a 1942 Banner.  Nothing today at $6000.     I don't think Gibson is charging double ($6k compared to $3K) for a few slight upgrades.  There are lots of iterations, and choices, depending on what you want and what you can afford.  Then, of course, you have added bling on the Southern Jumbos, the kissing cousin J35 with an AJ body and a short neck, etc.

I like the 60's J-50 Original myself. I've got a real 1965 J-50 and also a 2008 J-50 but always thought a combination of the two would be just about perfect. Modern Gibson sound with the skinny neck that I like on the vintage guitar. It sells for $2500 and is in stock, but I just can't justify that expense. There's a great old Skip James song, "Hard Times Killin' Floor" with a lyric that sticks in my mind.... "If you think you've got money, you'd better be sure".

But we might see better guitar prices in a couple months.  Both companies and individuals may decide that whatever cash they can get in a hurry is better than an inventory of guitars. This just seems like a bad time to buy an expensive guitar. 

I am ok with the list prices of these new Historic Series, they are below $5k. In 2013 I bought one each from the limited edition 1935 AJ and the 1934 OJ. The list price on these were around $9k, which was a joke I ma sure nobody paid anywhere close. However these are exact copies of a specific guitar which are owned by a vintage dealer/collector.  I love 'em both, they are outstanding instruments. They are all hide glue  construction vs this new series only the bracing and neck joint is done in hide glue. Other than that they seem to be very close to the '13 Ltd Edition guitars, Waverley tuners, red line cases etc.  I hear only good things about them. Not sure how much discount you can get nowadays with Gibson, back in 2013 I got a pretty good discount on both.

53 minutes ago, J45fan said:

I am ok with the list prices of these new Historic Series, they are below $5k. In 2013 I bought one each from the limited edition 1935 AJ and the 1934 OJ. The list price on these were around $9k, which was a joke I ma sure nobody paid anywhere close. However these are exact copies of a specific guitar which are owned by a vintage dealer/collector.  I love 'em both, they are outstanding instruments. They are all hide glue  construction vs this new series only the bracing and neck joint is done in hide glue. Other than that they seem to be very close to the '13 Ltd Edition guitars, Waverley tuners, red line cases etc.  I hear only good things about them. Not sure how much discount you can get nowadays with Gibson, back in 2013 I got a pretty good discount on both.

The AJ you bought in 2013 was a direct copy of one of Gary Burnette's guitars. There is an archived thread here about that model, or you can search for it online.  I don't know if yours is a two-tonebar guitar or a three-tonebar guitar. Tom Barnwell said back then that Gary's guitar was probably  a prototype AJ, since it had two tonebars, while the production run of AJs in 1936 had three tonebars. Tom owns at least one of those original three-tonebar  AJs from the 1936 production run.

Your 2013 AJ was basically the equivalent of  Legend-series Gibsons, including the J-45 and L-OO Legend models. Several of us here have those.

Those were built  before top torrefaction, which is a great addition on the Historic Series models, even if they punt on some historical details. All the AJs have theoretically been copies of Gary's AJ, but construction details have not all been period-correct.

All in all, those new ones look like nice models with decent specs and OK prices.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:44 AM, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I played all of them at NAMM.

The 1957 SJ 200 blonde (maple) & the 1942 Southern Jumbo (rosewood) were my favorites and I hate rosewood guitars so that’s saying something.

I’m thinking of it  Southern Jumbo still.

Realistically though I might only be able to get the LG 2 1942.

The AJ and Southern Jumbo blow any rosewood Martin I’ve ever played out of the water.

JC

Try telling that to Joan Baez, Judy Collins, David Crosby, Steven Stills, Graham Nash, Paul McCartney, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jim Croce, Maury Muehleisen, Neil Young, Bob Shane, Dave Guard,  just to name a few decent, and knowledgeable guitar players who come to mind.

Oh. And me, RBSinTo, who despite being a crappy musician has had a 1974""Rosewood" Martin since 1977.

Edited by RBSinTo

28 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The AJ you bought in 2013 was a direct copy of one of Gary Burnette's guitars. There is an archived thread here about that model, or you can search for it online.  I don't know if yours is a two-tonebar guitar or a three-tonebar guitar. Tom Barnwell said back then that Gary's guitar was probably  a prototype AJ, since it had two tonebars, while the production run of AJs in 1936 had three tonebars. Tom owns at least one of those original three-tonebar  AJs from the 1936 production run.

Your 2013 AJ was basically the equivalent of  Legend-series Gibsons, including the J-45 and L-OO Legend models. Several of us here have those.

Those were built  before top torrefaction, which is a great addition on the Historic Series models, even if they punt on some historical details. All the AJs have theoretically been copies of Gary's AJ, but construction details have not all been period-correct.

All in all, those new ones look like nice models with decent specs and OK prices.

I have to search for that thread.

Interesting about the tone bars 2 vs. 3.  Mine has 2 tone bars.  When I bought mine I had contact with Don from Gibson, he told me he was there when they checked Gary's guitar. They really copied exact, even the misplaced bridge plate on this prototype. Looking at the sunburst pattern to me this prototype AJ is more a'34 than a '35. Don sent me a picture of the actual AJ owned by Gary.

Would be interesting if this new AJ, since it has the 1936 appointment, has 3 tonebars. The sunburst pattern is for sure '36.

Nothing like a good AJ, made me selling my Martin D-28.  A few month ago I got interested in one of these D-28 1937 aged Authentic. I played one at a dealer close to me, took my AJ with me.  A great sounding and feeling guitar. But I preferred my AJ over it. Saved me quite some money.

Well not to be out done by Slimt ,i ordered 4 of the shiny new 2020 Covid  endorsed Historic Gibson line guitars .

My stocks are completely shot ,i am now on unemployment insurance and i haven't played a gig for 3 weeks now ,but that said... those guitars should arrive shortly after i am bankrupt and homeless . 

Cheers .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

Well not to be out done by Slimt ,i ordered 4 of the shiny new 2020 Covid  endorsed Historic Gibson line guitars .

My stocks are completely shot ,i am now on unemployment insurance and i haven't played a gig for 3 weeks now ,but that said... those guitars should arrive shortly after i am bankrupt and homeless . 

Cheers .

They said every one is a Yellow Sun record from Nashville, and up north ain't nobody buys 'em.

And I said, "but I will."

Hang in there, but if you need to liquidate, let us know. Someone here will hold up a hand and say "I'll buy them."

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

The small body lovers are feeling a bit short changed - so far a LG2 Banner RI but with a skinny nut and a L-00 Deluxe in Rosewood...

What about a reissue of the reissue L-00 Legend, Gibson?😒

Or an (exact) reissue of a 32 in Tux!

Or an (exact) reissue of a black Nick Lucas?

And a banner LG2 with a baseball neck!

Or just a plain old 37 L-00 in black with a firestripe guard?

Or the 12 fret L-00?

etc, etc.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

37 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

The small body lovers are feeling a bit short changed - so far a LG2 Banner RI but with a skinny nut and a L-00 Deluxe in Rosewood...

What about a reissue of the reissue L-00 Legend, Gibson?😒

Or an (exact) reissue of a 32 in Tux!

Or an (exact) reissue of a black Nick Lucas?

And a banner LG2 with a baseball neck!

Or just a plain old 37 L-00 in black with a firestripe guard?

Or the 12 fret L-00?

etc, etc.

BluesKing777.

They made some of those for the Japanese Market.  They also did a L2 but with a round bottom. Totally wrong. 

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

Hang in there, but if you need to liquidate, let us know. Someone here will hold up a hand and say "I'll buy them."

I'll give you a case of toilet paper for each! 😁

1 hour ago, slimt said:

They made some of those for the Japanese Market.  They also did a L2 but with a round bottom. Totally wrong. 

My pawn shop buys - 2002 Gibson J50 and my 2005 Dove cherry were possibly made for Japan. The seller had traveled back and forth to Japan for business, and I am guessing, BUT I have never, ever, ever seen a J50 or a cherry Dove of any shape or size here! I bought the Dove first last year, then went back when the J50 came up for sale later - I was real quick!

I hope the guy bought some L-00s there!😎

Lf2coWuh.jpg

uMd8Sufh.jpg

BluesKing777.