Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Need help spotting if J45 Standard is Real or Fake


fanceelivin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looks real to me also.... but WTF do I know?  😂

BTW, was just looking at Guitar Center's site. There are 16 used J-45's there, most of them 2018 or newer, which seems like a lot. So you may be in a good negotiating position if you're a buyer. The other surprise is that 7 of those 16 J-45's were the Studio model. People have been generally positive about that guitar here, so I wonder if that means people aren't happy with them or just that they need the money. If it's money, then Guitar Center will give you a quick sale but a very low price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand why anyone would ask people at what is essentially a fanboy site to verify whether a guitar is genuine or a fake, based on a few photos. If it was me, I 'd either check the guitar at an authorized Gibson dealership, and If that isn't possible, then I'd put off buying one until genuine guitars can be viewed in person.

J45's are like streetcars. There will be another one coming by in a few minutes.

RBSinTo

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even the case looks 100% legit ! 

 I'm thinking the J45 Studio purge on the GC Used Site - is due to the rising unemployment.  Some times it is difficult to get in the mood to play when you're out of work.  Been there, done that. More than a few times.  Never had to sell the 1 guitar I had during those times.  I'm guessing GC offers more than a Pawn Shop would. Only traded one instrument in with them though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I don't understand why anyone would ask people at what is essentially a fanboy site to verify whether a guitar is genuine or a fake, based on a few photos. If it was me, I 'd either check the guitar at an authorized Gibson dealership, and If that isn't possible, then I'd put off buying one until genuine guitars can be viewed in person.

J45's are like streetcars. There will be another one coming by in a few minutes.

RBSinTo

 

Maybe it's because enough of us "fanboys" here have looked at enough Gibsons over the decades to understand exactly what to look for in identifying guitars that may not be what they are represented to be.

If someone has concerns about their guitar, we will try to help them if possible. We have certainly identified plenty of fakes here, including recently. Gibsons are widely copied, often using what appear to be correct serial number formats and labels.

Not everyone has the luxury of looking at a guitar in person before buying it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

Maybe it's because enough of us "fanboys" here have looked at enough Gibsons over the decades to understand exactly what to look for in identifying guitars that may not be what they are represented to be.

If someone has concerns about their guitar, we will try to help them if possible. We have certainly identified plenty of fakes here, including recently. Gibsons are widely copied, often using what appear to be correct serial number formats and labels.

Not everyone has the luxury of looking at a guitar in person before buying it.

As I said, j45s are not rare, and easy to come by. In the present circumstances unless this particular instrument is being given away, the need for instant gratification should be put aside if there is any concern that the guitar is not genuine. 

RBSinTo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

As I said, j45s are not rare, and easy to come by. In the present circumstances unless this particular instrument is being given away, the need for instant gratification should be put aside if there is any concern that the guitar is not genuine. 

RBSinTo

Thank you for telling us what we should do. I feel much better now.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

As I said, j45s are not rare, and easy to come by. In the present circumstances unless this particular instrument is being given away, the need for instant gratification should be put aside if there is any concern that the guitar is not genuine. 

RBSinTo


who said J45s were Rare? And I have seen knockoffs of these that were close enough to fool most folks concerned   .   
it sure does not hurt to ask and get info when its needed.   
 

As for J45s like street  cars.  That pretty much sums it up to all guitars.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, slimt said:

As for J45s like street  cars.  That pretty much sums it up to all guitars.   

 

Sorry, you lost me there. What do you mean by "street cars" and how does this "sum it up to all guitars"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a very authentic 2011 Gibson J-45 with a very nice well blended burst, and clean looking sitka top.  I think your going to find that it is outstanding!  It's only good enough if it's a Gibson! And this one is! Best wishes and enjoy it!

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...