Gibson Brands Forums

New Bob Dylan LP - 'Rough and Rowdy Ways'

northcntryblues

4 hours ago, northcntryblues said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/arts/music/bob-dylan-rough-and-rowdy-ways.html

There is no one else from his generation that has had a third act  that even comes close to Bob Dylan.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

you could be right..

You could both be right, , ,

but I hope the melody is intact - would be a waste to see that Nobel Prize turn him into a reciting pen & ink man. . 

It's a great record, just heard it. Plenty of melody - lyrics at his best. Like the performances all through.

This could be the anticipated m-piece from Self Portrait. This is a mountain of it's own. But not one you climb, one you find your path into.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .. . . . .

I don't own a Dylan album past the first one where he found the Lord. Saw him 3 times live. Which was 4 to many. He now sounds like he sings with rocks in his mouth. Can he write great lyrics? Yes. What does he have left to prove? Nothing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't own a Dylan album past the first one where he found the Lord. Saw him 3 times live. Which was 4 to many. He now sounds like he sings with rocks in his mouth. Can he write great lyrics? Yes. What does he have left to prove? Nothing.

Great artists don't create music because they have something to prove. They do it because they have something to say.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Great artists don't create music because they have something to prove. They do it because they have something to say.

I know that, but nothing he has said in the past 20 + years or so has said anything to me.

I'm  a huge Zappa and Beatles fan, but I am not so naive that I think every note those 2 recorded is the best thing since sliced bread. Sometime you need to step outside you super-fan self and look at it subjectively. I never want to hear Hey Jude ever again. This is group  that many consider the best group of all time and you write a 2 minute song and sing Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah for the last 5 minuets of the songs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, olie said:

The best solution to your dilemma is to not listen to anyone you don't want to hear and let it go.

It's all personal and relative.

Your absolutely right. But in the same vein if someone is allowed to post how much of a god he is for the stuff he's still producing. I'm allowed to post the opposite, if that's my view. Is he a legend. Yes. Great song writter. Yes.  Have seen him live. Yes. Own his music. Yes. Do I listen to his stuff subjectively. Yes. If I think it's great and enjoy it I'll say the truth.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your absolutely right. But in the same vein if someone is allowed to post how much of a god he is for the stuff he's still producing. I'm allowed to post the opposite, if that's my view. Is he a legend. Yes. Great song writter. Yes.  Have seen him live. Yes. Own his music. Yes. Do I listen to his stuff subjectively. Yes. If I think it's great and enjoy it I'll say the truth.

Yesterday (at 9:32am) I posted a new 6 minute track from Dylan’s new album.  It’s got really good lyrics, a really good storyline, he sings it with a sense of humor reminiscent of his Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde albums, his vocal phrasing Is spot on, the song has a good melody and really good instrumentation going on that matches the mood and ambience of the lyrics and melody, and his voice that once seemed shot now seems like a voice that has aged like some kind of fine wine on the song.

I respect your right to your perspective, but I am not clear what your perspective is other than I guess you don’t like Dylan’s new stuff, but I am not really sure why, subjectively (your word.). Could you explain , subjectively, what you do not like about the mentioned new song or it as an example of Dylan’s most recent work.  Am curious....

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

1 hour ago, QuestionMark said:

Yesterday (at 9:32am) I posted a new 6 minute track from Dylan’s new album.  It’s got really good lyrics, a really good storyline, he sings it with a sense of humor reminiscent of his Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde albums, his vocal phrasing Is spot on, the song has a good melody and really good instrumentation going on that matches the mood and ambience of the lyrics and melody, and his voice that once seemed shot now seems like a voice that has aged like some kind of fine wine on the song.

I respect your right to your perspective, but I am not clear what your perspective is other than I guess you don’t like Dylan’s new stuff, but I am not really sure why, subjectively (your word.). Could you explain , subjectively, what you do not like about the mentioned new song or it as an example of Dylan’s most recent work.  Am curious....

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

It just does nothing for me. That's the best way to explain it. I've tried to listen to his stuff post his Religious phase. His voice was never spectacular, but he's a word guy. His voice is now beyond blown and for me a chore to endure his singing. Sometimes his harp playing is to much to take. That's me. If you want to enjoy every note and lyric he writes that's your choice.

Now that being said he certainly deserves every accolade thrown his way. He's a legend. Influenced many, entertained many and has had a very long career. Ill take John Westley Harding over anything he's done since about '79 or so.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I actually love the sound of his current voice, it's cool, but I just can't understand all of the words. Part of it is 'his fault' and part of it is I have hearing issues.

I am a huge Dylan fan. What I find so impressive is that he continues to write such profound lyrics and the overall feel of the tracks is superb. The dude is almost 80 and producing fine art.

I actually find it easier to understand his sung words better on this than on some of his prior albums when he was in and past middle age.

My take on his lyricist god stature is he's about as good as it gets. I don't know anyone who writes such amazing lyrics; it's truly astounding. Deserving of a Nobel!

He continues to write some of the most resonant and profound prose of our,or any, generation. It often appears to be prosaic until you hear it again ,after some time passes, and then you realize that you can't stop thinking about it or singing along to it. Our Shakespeare.

50 minutes ago, olie said:

He continues to write some of the most resonant and profound prose of our,or any, generation. It often appears to be prosaic until you hear it again ,after some time passes, and then you realize that you can't stop thinking about it or singing along to it. Our Shakespeare.

So if you had to choose one Dylan album to take to a deserted island it would be his new one? I'm betting - No.

I'd take JWH or 61.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So if you had to choose one Dylan album to take to a deserted island it would be his new one? I'm betting - No.

I'd take JWH or 61.

That's an interesting question that might be worth its own thread. If you could only listen to one Dylan album, which one would it be? And I don't know the answer.

36 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That's an interesting question that might be worth its own thread. If you could only listen to one Dylan album, which one would it be? And I don't know the answer.

I do have an answer for that, in terms of traditional LP releases - it's  'Time Out Of Mind' for me..

Other than that, I most listen to  his 'Bootleg Series' releases.  The recent 'Blood on the Tracks' entry from the Bootleg Series is awesome. I also listen a lot to another Bootleg Series edition called 'Telltale Signs'. Do yourself a favor and listen to it if you have Spotify. It roughly covers the period from 'Oh Mercy' to 'Modern Times', and works as a complete album.   It's just fantastic.  I also really liked 'Another Self Portrait' from the Bootleg Series.  What is truly amazing is the quality of the songs Dylan left off a lot of his lp's that have shown up in the bootleg series.   Great stuff. 

Edited by northcntryblues

This latest album sounds like a continuation of the Lanois produced albums, spooky repetitive grooves with Dylan riffing story like lyrics over the top.

Dylan's last great album to me is the one backed by the Band, mid 70's? and then after that i liked Street Legal from '78.  After Street Legal - ??