Gibson Brands Forums

J50 Fingerboard Defect? Flaw?

Skesner

Hello! I recently bought a Gibson J50, yesterday as a matter of fact. And I've never owned an American made acoustic so I am not sure if this is a defect or a flaw in the craftsmanship? I did include a pic... Am I being petty? 

Also, the gloss finish above the bridge feels to be thinner or non existent compared to the rest of the top...  a patch the size of my hand. Is that a future problem? This is the first Gibson I've ever bought, I've only had PRS and Fender in the past. Thanks in advance!

Steve

IMG_1592.jpg

yea.. Looks a bit rough to me. 

Is this new? 

I'd say file marks but dunno..  

You could try getting some 0000 brass or steel wool, and going w/the grain buff the rosewood, (tape up the sound hole first with a low tack tape like blue painters tape) 

Then get some fretboard conditioner (F1 or Guitar Honey) and rub it in to the wood, and wipe of excess oil.

Might make it look a bit more presentable..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Looks like some leftover rough surface that did not cleanup when they finished the fretboard. 
looks like a small area.  Cleaning it up as Kidblast mentioned and conditioning the board may take care of it. If you bought it new and it  bothers you try to exchange it. 

Congrats on your J-50. . . it would be great to see a photo of the guitar. 

And- no, you're not being petty. . . everyone gives a good look at what they've just taken into the fold when a new one is brought in. The extreme closeup you've posted looks like a scratch on the metal fret lines up with the scratches on the fretboard. A zoom out a bit might provide some perspective in addition to  that macro-level shot. It does give clue on a (build?) timeline, if that matters. Did you have to purchase sight-unseen due location or Covid reasons? On a personal note, this ain't the worse that I've seen- I liked the guitar, and fixed it up a little, and took it from there.

Enjoy your NGD weekend

6 hours ago, Skesner said:

Hello! I recently bought a Gibson J50, yesterday as a matter of fact. And I've never owned an American made acoustic so I am not sure if this is a defect or a flaw in the craftsmanship? I did include a pic... Am I being petty? 

Also, the gloss finish above the bridge feels to be thinner or non existent compared to the rest of the top...  a patch the size of my hand. Is that a future problem? This is the first Gibson I've ever bought, I've only had PRS and Fender in the past. Thanks in advance!

Steve

IMG_1592.jpg

To me, no expert, they look like saw marks that have not been sanded enough....

Start playing that J50 as hard as as you can and wear the marks down!

BluesKing777.

• Haha 1

Hmmm, , not ideal - but we see these minor flaws now and again. In most cases (like a passage on the upper neck-binding on my acoustic Firebird fx) it can be home-fixed. 

This one is an example. If you like the rest of the guit then don't return or complain. Buff away and away it'll go.  

You wrote  "the gloss finish above the bridge appears to be thinner or non existent".   

Is this the area where a person would normally rest the inside of his upper right arm - on the lower bout? 

As others above have asked:  Did you buy this guitar new?    What was the year it was manufactured?   

The finish issue would be nice to see before a comment ( I can't post pictures, so not being critical!).  On the fretboard, I'm with BluesKing.  But, granted, it is annoying on a new one to have anything less than perfect.   These things cost  a loot <( sp. -5, but I left in that way because it still makes the point !!!) of money.    I hope  your J-50 measures up for you in the long run; nice guitars!

Thanks for all the replies, after reading them and the fact that the guitar is new I decided to take it back. The store is a licensed Gibson repair shop so they said it will be repaired to my satisfaction or Gibson would potentially replace it. 

48 minutes ago, Skesner said:

Thanks for all the replies, after reading them and the fact that the guitar is new I decided to take it back. The store is a licensed Gibson repair shop so they said it will be repaired to my satisfaction or Gibson would potentially replace it. 

Good move there, they need to make it right.  It's brand new.. and that's pretty bad IMO.

keep us posted and good luck!

1 hour ago, Skesner said:

Thanks for all the input, the shop I bought the guitar from made it right with me, they did not have any J45 or J50's so they gave me even swap for the Hummingbird. I'm very pleased. 

Alrighttt, , , what an unexpected turn. Sincerely hope you'll get plenty of fun and good hours/years out of the time spent with your new Gibson. But watch out, , ,

Birds are highly addictive guitars. .  

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is muy bueno. Those are about a grand more than a J-50 aren't they?

From what I can tell its a grand more.. lol but who knows what things really cost and do no cost in the guitar gear world. 

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Alrighttt, , , what an unexpected turn. Sincerely hope you'll get plenty of fun and good hours/years out of the time spent with your new Gibson. But watch out, , ,

Birds are highly addictive guitars. .  

I played some last night with the guitar. There certainly were tones and resonation that I heard coming from the guitar that I had not heard from other acoustics I had played in the past. So far, I love the sound and tone.