Gibson Brands Forums

New 1957 SJ-200 - Rough Looking TRC?

Brucebubs

Loving how my new Historic 1957 SJ-200 plays and sounds but I'm not impressed with the Truss Rod Cover - black over white but the black panel looks like it was cut out with a rusty butter knife - very rough around the edges.

I have a bad feeling no-one is going to do anything about it - I contacted Gibson USA Customer Service and they passed the buck to the Australian distributor and they passed the buck on to the dealer who .. surprise, surprise .. hasn't replied to my emails or returned my call.

EKepSJBh.jpg

My first attempt would be to clean it up myself by scraping with a razor blade along the white edge. I bet that would help a lot. My second alternative would be to just order a new one.

With that said, it shouldn't look like that and you shouldn't have to fix it yourself, but some things are not worth fighting for.

Lars

9 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Which is ... ?

Our 1960 came with a repro TRC.  While not as inky looking as yours it still just did not look right.  I ended up digging up an orinal 1950s TRC.  Not cheap though.

Anyway there are always the usual suspects - eBay and Reverb.  Also that thick white outline TRC was used on other Gibsons at various times such as the Byrdland.  So you might want to widen your search.

If I were me, I would get a small piece of very fine sandpaper (400+) and go over the edges of the black piece. Maybe painters  tape on the white piece, or just keep a thin piece of paper under it as you move around the edges of the  black piece.  I think all that happened there was that  = after the black piece was cut, it got into the parts bin before someone sanded the cut edges down.  Of course it will be a little tedious because the actual size is only half of the photo - but it will take less time than finding a suitable replacement and ordering it.  With the attendant risk it might be of lesser quality.. Just make sure you don't get one with three screws. That's a tip-off it's not OEM !   

13 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Loving how my new Historic 1957 SJ-200 plays and sounds but I'm not impressed with the Truss Rod Cover - black over white but the black panel looks like it was cut out with a rusty butter knife - very rough around the edges.

I have a bad feeling no-one is going to do anything about it - I contacted Gibson USA Customer Service and they passed the buck to the Australian distributor and they passed the buck on to the dealer who .. surprise, surprise .. hasn't replied to my emails or returned my call.

EKepSJBh.jpg

Some would call that Custom.

Yeah its not nice to look at.

• Sad 1

I’m having trouble telling from the photo.... Is the black portion a separate piece that is inset into the white border piece?

Maybe the glue melted the plastic?

It does look out of place on a pricey guitar.

What of finding a local woodworker or jeweler who could make something similar? Except with cleaner edges, of course.

2 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

I’m having trouble telling from the photo.... Is the black portion a separate piece that is inset into the white border piece?

Maybe the glue melted the plastic?

It does look out of place on a pricey guitar.

What of finding a local woodworker or jeweler who could make something similar? Except with cleaner edges, of course.

How about just get a Gibson TRC.

The original part is widely available, 

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBPRTR010?siid=126285&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItu2goaH47AIVicDICh1Yqg1oEAQYASABEgIF__D_BwE

It’s supposed to be a black over white laminate,. I bought one of these replacements online… believe the new one also comes with the screws. Just don’t over tighten them, or it will crack.

6 minutes ago, 62burst said:

The original part is widely available, 

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBPRTR010?siid=126285&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItu2goaH47AIVicDICh1Yqg1oEAQYASABEgIF__D_BwE

It’s supposed to be a black over white laminate,. I bought one of these replacements online… believe the new one also comes with the screws. Just don’t over tighten them, or it will crack.

Also, be careful removing and tightening the screws, as it is easy to damage the plating and slots on these tiny screws.

11 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Which is ... ?

Been experimenting a lot with tr-shields, but admit I never touched this version. Taking a brief look over the BAY  is quite surprising. I thought they were easier found.                                                                  The one burst62 presents doesn't really do it and this variation seems sloppy too - 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-flared-bell-truss-rod-cover-2-ply-w-screws-for-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom/224014849627?hash=item342853565b:g:EQoAAOSwYJNaxRKj

You have a challenge - Keep searching

16 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

...doesn't really do it and this variation seems sloppy too - 

I know you have been experimenting with other materials, and thought I remembered you having one of metal? The one I linked to is a two piece laminate, and is original equipment Gibson part number included, higher quality than the one Bruce currently has. Perhaps what you were seeing is the plastic that is part of its packaging.

Edited by 62burst

31 minutes ago, 62burst said:

I know you have been experimenting with other materials, and thought I remembered you having one of metal? The one I linked to is a two piece laminate, and is original equipment Gibson part number included, higher quality than the one Bruce currently has. Perhaps what you were seeing is the plastic that is part of its packaging.

The version behind your link is an ordinary white-line Gibson cover. The one in question is the traditional J-200  thing with a much fatter frame.  Are we in synch. . 

Yes, been experimenting with metal, brass and leather - various identities in general. Still have some in plastic though.  (Experimented with screw hue also 😙 )                                                                               Yet had to remove the thin black original plast-one on the 1953 J-45 the other day. It kept buzzing no matter how tight it went down. It now has a metal cover which spent over a year - that means 4 seasons - buried in soil, , , , outdoors. .

9 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

I'm in contact with Gibson and let them know I feel like I'm being passed around at the moment - no-one wants to own it!

Then there's always this ....

If you are able, contact Montana. That’s who I have found to be the most helpful. Personally, I hate dealing with Nashville. Never had a bad experience with Bozeman.

Update - store owner just got back to me and agreed the TRC is pretty poor quality and he's taking steps to replace it.

Meanwhile, I found these on ebay here for $1.90 each, think I'll have a little fun with some white paint and see how it turns out.

dUFI4Rrl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

4 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Update - store owner just got back to me and agreed the TRC is pretty poor quality and he's taking steps to replace it.

Meanwhile, I found these on ebay here for $1.90 each, think I'll have a little fun with some white paint and see how it turns out.

dUFI4Rrl.jpg

According to the descriptions and prices shown here on the Gibson website, this is a $6,000.00 (U.S.) instrument. For that kind of money, one would expect the Gibson Company to hand deliver a perfect replacement rather than ignoring the customer and simply leaving it up to someone else in the supply chain to possibly look after. I for one, am not impressed with what passes for their customer service.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Sad 1