Gibson Brands Forums

Jeremy Sheppard > Why is Gibson Losing Guitar Players?

thegreatgumbino

If they are loosing so many "players" why are all the major online retail stores out of stock for just about all of the gibson models they stock?

you know what they say about opinions,  they are like a--- holes,, everybody has one.

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, sbpark said:

Who is this guy and why the heck should we be listening to him? Seems like he's just desperate for content and has no other real marketable skill to earn a living. 

Many people think their self worth is defined by how may likes they get on YT or F-ag Book or what ever you give likes to and on. I just want more funny videos of cats on vacuum cleaners.

And in case you didn't know Gorilla Glue is not hairspray. Your welcome.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Many people think their self worth is defined by how may likes they get on YT or F-ag Book or what ever you give likes to and on. I just want more funny videos of cats on vacuum cleaners.

And in case you didn't know Gorilla Glue is not hairspray. Your welcome.

Here you go!

Click bait for the most part .

1)He obviously doesn’t get why the Jimi Hendrix Models And other artist models exist .

2) He probably hasn’t heard of the G 45 models 

3) What Mark is doing on Gibson TV is basically what he did at Norms ... and people loved it and they dig Gibson T.V’s “The Collection”

4) He’s a Martin guy 

5) I don’t think this guy has any idea what he is talking about when it comes to Gibson.

6)  The Slash J 45 is an incredible guitar that may appeal to non Slash fans .

7) He just crammed 4 bogus and random reasons into a video cause he needed content .

JC

14 minutes ago, scriv58 said:

kind of a no brainer to call this what it is..  ignorant, arrogant, and thinks people out in youtube land cares what he's got to say..  we don't...  

a webcam, pc and an internet connection doesn't make anyone a subject matter expert.  Especially this cat..

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

kind of a no brainer to call this what it is..  ignorant, arrogant, and thinks people out in youtube land cares what he's got to say..  we don't...  

a webcam, pc and an internet connection doesn't make anyone a subject matter expert.  Especially this cat..

What about the cat on the vacuum?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Most folks of this ilk - whether it be political pundits, shock jocks, gossip columnists,  et al - don't care about the truth and don't care whether you agree or not so long as you click/read/watch//listen.  In fact, they love creating controversy.  Like somebody once said, ain't no such thing as bad publicity.

Listening to the video leads me to believe he or a close builder got a cease to build order.   

There are alot of things Gibson has done over the years that dont make sense.  But Im not in there office laying out the rules. Nor do I care  .

Me like you ,all buy what we like. Whether its new or used.   

As we used to say in Texas, "That dog don't hunt." I have somehow played guitar for all these years and have never heard of this guy. If this video is an examplar of his insight and logic, I'm not surprised.

Lemme see if I've got this straight.... He criticizes CEO James Curleigh for making videos outlining his vision of what Gibson should be doing. THAT'S WHAT CEOs DO. They spend time formulating a corporate vision and selling it to investors, Wall Street, customers, distributors, etc. So what if he's not making videos targeting 15-year-old shredders, assuring them they'll be famous if they buy a Gibson?

His comments about the trademark litigation show a lack of knowledge. As holder of those design trademarks, Gibson is obligated to go after companies or individuals it believes are infringing on the trademark. If you don't try and protect it, you lose it.

He gets on Gibson's case for not offering a Peter Frampton Les Paul years or decades earlier. Maybe it has something to do with the fact Frampton didn't have his iconic "Black Beauty" LP from 1980 to 2012. (Frampton thought it was destroyed in a plane crash in Venezuela. It wound up years later on the Caribbean island of Curaco, where a guitar collector spotted it and returned it to Frampton.) What Good would it have done Gibson to offer a guitar that Frampton couldn't be seen playing? I'd also argue that before his recent health-related retirement from touring, Frampton was enjoying a bit of a resurgence that he wasn't having during the time when Jeremy thinks Gibson should've released a Peter Frampton LP.

I should go on but it'd be a waste of time. Life is short.

I watched it a bit before this post because youtube recommended it to me, and i admit i think he's correct in how Gibson is still marketing themselves and their guitars in this very 20th century "will turn you into the next rock god" vs  developing appreciation for their guitars and developing yourself musically.  99% of guitar players young and old are pretty much bedroom players (maybe with an occasional or regular small gig/bar night) and realize that even if they're doing something creatively really innovative or cool, it probably won't scale up beyond small clubs and creating a lot of free digital content. 

When I was in DC about 15 years ago they had the Gibson showroom there that let small touring acts roll through and borrow stuff for their gig or do a live session- would love to see them invest in smaller, more diverse acts like that the way fender has lately.  

17 minutes ago, peter l said:

I think that this is kind of an annoying video. The host gives the impression that Gibson should be making their customers feel better about themselves. It seems like an odd perspective and a strange grievance.

That is what therapy is for.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, peter l said:

I think that this is kind of an annoying video. The host gives the impression that Gibson should be making their customers feel better about themselves. It seems like an odd perspective and a strange grievance.

I agree with your take.  It’s the primary reason I posted it.  It’s par for the course in today’s society, in my opinion.  A portion of our society is unable to do for themselves any longer, and they cast blame when things aren’t going their way.  

• Thanks 1