Gibson Brands Forums

Who are the bikers here?

Violeiro

Hey guys, super excited. I will be joining the motorcylce world next month. I have taken a few motorcycles for a spin like 15 years ago, but never been serious about it. This week I signed up for the rider class and place an order for the bike - Indian Scout Sixty.

How about you Gibson bikers, what are you riding?

Edited by Violeiro

I’ve owned many bikes. I worked my way up in the Japanese stuff until I had a KZ900. I then wanted to be retro and had a couple Triumph Bonnevilles. Which meant I walked a lot, had a very sore right knee, and thumbs that smelled of gasoline. I gave up on bikes for a few years until I began parting them out on eBay in ‘99. I would conservatively guess that I stripped and sold 300 or more. From 2006 to 2011 my main bike was a stock green 1974 Honda CB360 that I bought for $50. Loved it. Then in 2011 I finally bought what I always wanted, a Harley. I bought a white 2000 883 Sportster with 7709 miles. It is now 2021 and it has 8432 miles. I’ve never warmed up to it. It’s loud and handles like a farm truck. A couple years ago I was given a 1981 Honda CB750K that had been sitting a while and had some shoddy “improvements” to the backrest/luggage rack junk pike. I stripped all that crap off and I have procured a new-used rear fender, grab rail, signals etc to put it back stock. I’m contemplating buying a pristine seat for it to replace the cobbled up one. A month from now the 750 and the Sportster will be vying for my attention and the loser will go on the market. I think I know where this is going. 

• Like 2

I started seriously riding bikes in the early-1970s.  When I was younger my grandfather had an Indian sitting in the basement.  But it had been long neglected and parts were impossible to get.  My favorite bike for decades though was a 1970 Triumph 650 Trophy.  which I had bought slightly used after the owner had taken a spill on it.  I changed out the knobby tires, exhaust system, and wiring harness,  This was the "desert sled"  masquerading as a BMW Steve McQueen used in the "The Great Escape."  It did not have near the upper end of the Bonneville but accelerated like a bat out of hell.  It is  still sitting in a friend's garage.   I also owned a " go to the grocery store" bike which was a 1960 BMW 250 outfitted with saddle bags.  I ended up giving it to my at the time girlfriend. 

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

'03 HD Softail Heritage Classic (mine) and an '04 HD Sportster 1200 Custom (hers). We've led as many as 18 others on trips from NC to Bar Harbor Maine, Northern Vermont and Niagara Falls from North Carolina. Fantastic adventures. Her Sportster can blow mine off the mountain and leave me in the dust around any corner we've come across. It's usually accompanied by laughter heard through our helmet radios. I've had 1 Suzuki 400GL, 1 Honda Shadow Spirit 1200 and a kawasaki 500 before it. She had a Suzuki Intruder 800 and a Yamaha Viagaro(sp?) 250.

We're probably going to sell. I'm too medicated to ride it safely and most of the friends who we rode with have moved on, away or passed away. It's hard to let go of something we both loved to do so much. Who knows what the future brings, though.

Be safe, assume someone is going to pull out in front of you and put extra lights on the front so people see you. Oh, and be safe.

• Like 1

Started riding in 1969 after graduation from high school.  The bike was a Honda 305 Superhawk, followed by a 305 Scrambler & another Superhawk.  It was all about handling & twisty roads for me.  A Kawasaki & another Honda followed - but those 305s were near & dear to my heart, as I took them on some very long trips & never had a breakdown.  Also moved on one from Arizona to Oregon with all my worldly possessions!

Worked for five years in Honda-Yamaha / Harley-Kawasaki shops in the late ‘70s & early ‘80s, and finally quit riding after years of bundling up to ride to work in the rain, cold, & occasional hailstorm.  Been tempted many times to buy another bike, but never have to date.

As BoSoxBiker said, be safe.  Keep your peripheral vision working constantly & don’t ever assume another vehicle sees you.  I avoided numerous accidents because of some hyper-defensive riding habits.  Stay alert & enjoy.

• Like 1

I always rode Japanese cruisers, but last year when looking for a new bike no foreign manufacturer was making anything I liked.  Ended up buying a new Harley Softail Low Rider.  It's comfortable to ride, but already both fork seals sprung leaks.  The bike's approaching 10,000 miles.

I looked at Indians but the nearest dealer is about 90 miles away.  I've got 3 Harley dealers within 30 miles.

Enjoy your riding class, they're a lot of fun (if you don't flunk).

• Like 1

When I was 18 years old, my girlfriend and I bought a used motorcycle to share.  Bottom line, I got into a minor accident on it and went flying off of it, which conveyed to me how dangerous it was.   My girlfriend complained I was riding it more than her, so I let her have possession of it.    Soon after we broke up.  Cold weather came and she sold it to someone.   Years later I have not ridden one since nor care to, (but I still have my motorcycle license, somehow passing a couple of written renewal tests) while my long ago ex-girlfriend has owned numerous motorcycles since.    

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, SteveFord said:

Got my license in 1977, first street bike was a Triumph 250 and still have Triumphs but the new variety.

Here's Sir Costalot:

H8Q6PUT.jpg

Is that Dr. Who's motorcycle?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I had a few early on when I lived in Belgium the best was a Flandria but those were just little 50cc bikes although they could approach 70mph.  I had a used Triumph Trophy 500 for a couple years and it was fun, not the most reliable but fortunately pretty easy to work on.  Traded it for a new Honda 550cc 4 cylinder Super Sport about 1976 that was super fast and reliable, but not the most comfortable for long trips.  Traded that for a 1982 Honda 750cc Magna - known as the V45.  That was a great bike, 4 cylinder V configuration, water cooled, shaft drive, and what Honda called "perfect primary balance".  There was no vibration in that engine, super fast, handled great and yet the seat was only about 24 inches off the ground.  It was pretty high tech at the time with electronic ignition, and only an electric start but proved very reliable never had any problems, just change the oil and keep the battery charged up over the winter.  I cruised that thing comfortably all day many times.

rvEdrXw.jpg Lots of fun and many great trips, but I got too old now so guess I'd have to say I'm a retired biker.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, zombywoof said:

This was the "desert sled"  masquerading as a BMW Steve McQueen used in the "The Great Escape."  It did not have near the upper end of the Bonneville but accelerated like a bat out of hell.  It is  still sitting in a friend's garage.   

I didn't notice that they tried to make that bike in the movie look like a BMW, I just always thought it was a Triumph.  But thinking about it, since he stole it from the Germans it would have to be a BMW, but they didn't do a very good job disguising it - Triumph all the way!

• Like 1

when I started dating the gal I married 30 plus  years ago my transportation was a 71 commando. 4 gear heaven ,orange tank , of course called the pumpkin -went to a honda 900 so "we " could ride, circa 69 it was a crap benneli and my brothers harley dirt bike,125 I think, also a  honda 250 xl sometime late 80s,that was one killer dirt eater, next one may be an old fart scooter with grocery carrier rack, I hope I can put that off for a few years, also in 80s a smallish  kawi but too many gears .I think it was easier driving in the past cause there was less traffic and less agro drivers, all were  great fun but the Norton was the one. not really a lifer but one or another would happen to appear. ,sadly been a while. Ride on -dont eat bugs!  

• Like 1

When's your class?

It is a paradoxical thing with the handle bars, but it's not really the bars that do any real turning in the corners. I think the pushing bit is more of a weight shifting thing. Hard to explain, and I am very unqualified to do so and it's been a few years other than an occasional spin around the block. It's a leaning thing that will become natural later on in the first year.

• Like 1

My class is next month. I have taken motorcycles for short drives but never thought of these things.... I took the computer test this week to get my learner permit in case my bike gets here first and the pushing the handle bar thing was one of the questions... I will ask the instructor for sure.

The great thing about the MSF class is that you get to get used to clutches, stops, starts, etc, on a bike that is not your own. More importantly, you'll get to drop a bike that is not your own. If there was ever a time to wait a month, this might be it.

That reminds me of a humorous story. I had picked up my wife's starter bike. A little Yamaha Vigaro(?) that took forever to get to 55mph couldn't get over 75mph with a tail wind. I'm a big with a beard before beards got popular. My friends had "dared" me to don my wanabe biker leather protective gear. Why not? Good times, right? Needless to say, the bike was very much under-sized, probably looked silly and was laughed at repeatedly on my 35 mile ride home. I had more people not return the biker-wave on one ride than I probably had in any given year.

So about 2 miles to go, I pull up behind a few big bikes with big tough guys on them. Stereotypical "biker" look, according to the movies. At a stop light, I pulled up beside the last guy and gave him the classic biker-nod of the day. To his credit, he returned the gesture and just turned his head back to looking forward.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Owner of a 2014 Indian Chieftain. Bought it new in 2014, the first year of the new Indians. It's been a great bike and I've been to many Indian rally's on it over the years. Congratulations on your Scout purchase, welcome to the tribe!

1486796_781206221910855_4853923854229057821_n.jpg

Welcome to the motorcycle world. I stated years ago as aa kid. Rode a neighbor farm kids Honda 50cc Superhawk. White. It was the beginning of a life time obsession. I put up hay all summer to buy a used 90CC Honda SS, then 150cc, Honda 305 dream, (it was a jump in style) Honda 450, Honda 750, Yamaha 650 Special, Yamaha race bikes, then Harley time. Can't remember all of them. I'm not physically able to ride anymore, but it's in the blood and and it doesn't wash out. Love motorcycles and you will too.