Gibson Brands Forums

Recording at 225 Parsons Street, May 1, 2021

jt

Hello, all. Last Saturday I had the privilege of recording a song in the old factory. I’m playing my 1944 SJ and the composer, Scott Napier, is playing his 1939 Mandolin that didn’t ship until 1941 (the next day I introduced him to the last surviving Kalamazoo Gal, who is 99 years old and was in the building when his mandolin and my guitar were there). This is a simple iPhone recording of a song that will feature in the upcoming Kalamazoo Gals documentary. We also, of course, recorded off that matched pair of Neumanns and with pro-video gear. Scott composed the piece for the occasion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lawdy Have Mercy.  Just as cool and it gets.  You cannot help but think about what it must have been like the last time those instruments were inside those walls.  You can surely see why Parsons Street was called The Daylight Plant.  Many thanks for posting.  I truly did enjoy it.

Edited by zombywoof

Beautiful song. Evocative of the memories the space protects.  Thank you for making the effort to do this, and for sharing it.  

( My sister-in-law's sister worked there in the 60s.  Copped me a set of official "Gibson" strings for the LG1 I had which was built there.  )

Thanks, folks!

It was a moving experience. We (Scott, his wife, the filmmaker, and me) were the only people in the building for 2.5 hours.

Last evening I received the WAV file of the audio from the Neumanns. The sound is glorious.

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Beautiful!!

Can you tell us more about the documentary?

Lars

Lars,

Sure. We'll be filming over the summer. We've already recorded our interview with the last surviving Gal and with some of the children of the Gals who have died since I began the project. Of course, we filmed extensively in the old factory building and around Kalamazoo. We'll also be filming some guitar players you know playing Banner Gibsons.

We're using the documentary to prepare/research our ultimate goal: a dramatic movie adaptation.

180472945_10218121599684820_523518951065

• Like 1

Thanks, all.

Yes, Nick, more fun than teaching law students.

This was a stunning experience. Noted mandolin pro Scott Napier composed the song for the occasion (and I worked up the fingerstyle accompaniment). Scott, his wife (equally talented mandolist Lauren Price Napier), filmmaker David Massar, and I were the only people in the building ... for 2.5 hours.

This hasn't happened before and most likely will never happen again. The renovation process will begin soon and that visually sad but sonically astonishing space will transform into a Hard Rock Hotel (a very cool thing, imho).

Thanks, again.

181295831_10160259748721808_749789427205

Just now, Dave F said:

Is Heritage Guitar no longer in the building?

Heritage has moved to an adjacent building on the Gibson compound. Heritage will move back into its original space, in the basement of the central building, when renovation concludes.

This is a cool project.

7f5f7791-0fe3-4311-b0fa-6ab1367e8c67-lar

Thanks, folks.

I've now heard the WAV file from the matched Neumanns. Stunning.

At some point soon, I'll  have that recording synched up with the pro video. I'll be sure to share the results here.

4 hours ago, BigKahune said:

Wonderful.

Really enjoyed the music video - love the ambiance of the recording.

Looking forward to the doc! 😎

Thanks! It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Never before and never again will anyone be able to record at 225 Parsons Street shorn of equipment and furnishings. That room had never been heard like that nor will it be again. What an honor and privilege to be able to pick a few notes there.