Gibson Brands Forums

How are you all feeling fellow old people?

MorrisrownSal

I’ll be 74 at the end of June.  Feeling pretty damn good.   My wife and I do lots of stuff together and we stay real active.  We walk a lot and whatever arthritis I have seems to be pretty mild.  We took our family to Disney World last month and according to our IPhones we averaged walking over 8 miles per day for 5 days.  Last February we got one of those Chuck Norris Total Gyms.  It’s GREAT, especially for us older dudes......  I keep working on songs and playing guitar.  Two of my three indoor gigs are now back.....keep working on my model railroad and running trains while I inadequately play guitar.  We’re going to Branson for our granddaughters’ s softball tournament in about three weeks.  Then to Phoenix in August and back to Florida in October.   This month I’m retired for nine years and I’m busier than I’ve ever been.........I think I’ve finally learned not to put a time limit on everything.  I don’t feel so much stress or pressure to get something done.  I just do it.  It’s a lot more enjoyable without the stress/pressure.  It’s also helps to have a wife who constantly encourages me to do things.

• Thanks 1

I'm one of the young-uns here, but I am closer to 60 than I am 50 as of today. Battleaxe is bringing home some Chinese takeout for the big day. Slowly recovering from Mastoiditis that has kicked my butt since 2007. 1/3 less meds than I was 4 years ago. Still can't get used to the whole maskless thing, but I'm digging it. Musically, I decided about this time last year to work much harder on my guitar and singing instead of spending so much time in my studio. It's paying off, but I'm sooooo many songs behind right now. 

Favorite Bob Dylan tune - Two of them. The Hurricane, and Positively 4th Street. I know it's a pop song, but it's tough to write anger like Positively 4th Street.

Happy Birthday to my fellow 'Gems!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I know it's a pop song, but it's tough to write anger like Positively 4th Street.

Young Bob really had a lot of nerve to plant that hook-line inside a loop and then do nothing but rant and rant. I always liked but never played it. .

49 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Young Bob really had a lot of nerve to plant that hook-line inside a loop and then do nothing but rant and rant. I always liked but never played it. .

If I play this one and Like a Rolling Stone back to back, I have to offer up a little disclaimer to the missus that I'm not angry, and then follow them up with Thank You and Wonderful Tonight. Unlike my diet, it's all about balance.  😁

1 minute ago, BoSoxBiker said:

If I play this one and Like a Rolling Stone back to back, I have to offer up a little disclaimer to the missus that I'm not angry, and then follow them up with Thank You and Wonderful Tonight. Unlike my diet, it's all about balance.  😁

Hahe, , , ever tried just humming away Wigwam, , , pretty good meditation and catharsis there. . 

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Hahe, , , ever tried just humming away Wigwam, , , pretty good meditation and catharsis there. . 

heehee - nope, that's a new one on me. Sounds like he tried that same band trick like he did with Rainy Day Woman. The lyrics are in my wheelhouse, though. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

Back in the early 1970s in high school the subject of the year 2000 came up.  I remember thinking, "I'll be 43 in the year 2000.  That's so old."

It's all relative.

My father-in-law died in 1978 at the age of 56. I was 30, and thought that he was "pretty old". Not one foot in the grave, but hovering over it.

Skip to 2021 when I'm 73, and I realize that he was just a kid. 

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RBSinTo said:

It's all relative.

My father-in-law died in 1978 at the age of 56. I was 30, and thought that he was "pretty old". Not one foot in the grave, but hovering over it.

Skip to 2021 when I'm 73, and I realize that he was just a kid. 

RBSinTo

Yeah, 56 seems pretty young from here.  Some people get robbed of a lot of years.  There’s not a great deal of logic to it most of the time.  Here one moment and then gone.  I’ve never found an answer that makes any sense to the question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

17 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

It's all relative.My father-in-law died in 1978 at the age of 56. I was 30, and thought that he was "pretty old". Not one foot in the grave, but hovering over it.Skip to 2021 when I'm 73, and I realize that he was just a kid. 

No kidding.  I was almost eight years old when my dad died in 1959 at the age of 46.  Hence as mentioned earlier, just making it to fifty seemed like a reach.  You truly never know how things will pan out.

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, 56 seems pretty young from here.  Some people get robbed of a lot of years.  There’s not a great deal of logic to it most of the time.  Here one moment and then gone.  I’ve never found an answer that makes any sense to the question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

The terrible irony was that he was a Holocaust survivor and died of liver disease brought on by contracting Hepatitus while in Auschwitz.

However I've never spent even a second pondering that question, because I believe it is a waste of time. There is no logic to it any of the time.

I believe that the universe operates under a very simple principle: $hit happens, and nothing more. No Supreme Being that planned anything, or cares on any level about our affairs. Pure chance.

My father-in-law who was a good, person died young because he did. No other reason.

RBSinTo