Gibson Brands Forums

How are you all feeling fellow old people?

MorrisrownSal

"Never trust anyone over 30"...

Coming up on the 10th anniversary of my retirement, also my 72nd birthday. Plenty of aches and pains, but aside from the calendar, I'm in better shape than I was in 2011. Getting more exercise, lost a lot of weight, learned to code in Javascript and am developing a complex web app. As an only child and basically a loner, I've been thriving in isolation over the past year and a half. So, I'm doing well... but that ain't no substitute for being 30. 🤣

1 minute ago, Boyd said:

Coming up on the 10th anniversary of my retirement, also my 72nd birthday. Plenty of aches and pains, but aside from the calendar, I'm in better shape than I was in 2011. Getting more exercise, lost a lot of weight, learned to code in Javascript and am developing a complex web app. As an only child and basically a loner, I've been thriving in isolation over the past year and a half. So, I'm doing well... but that ain't no substitute for being 30. 🤣

I'll celebrate my 1 year retirement in July....and my 72nd birthday in August.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How could that be more depressing than listening to the album Self Portrait?

You got a point there - apart from bi-factor that Bob and Columbia were first-movers when it came to preventing too much bootleg-hype, which was about to rise in that phase.                                                            I'm sure some of you may remember this one

The legendary yet overrated ~ A History of the Bootleg: Pt 1 Great White Wonder – alvisrocks

I recall celebrating my 30th alone - and feeling good about it. Music was go goin' my way and made me think less about age or turning round sharp corners, , , , still does. . . 

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

You got a point there - apart from bi-factor that Bob and Columbia were first-movers when it came to preventing too much bootleg-hype, which was about to rise in that phase.                                                            I'm sure some of you may remember this one

The legendary yet overrated ~ A History of the Bootleg: Pt 1 Great White Wonder – alvisrocks

I recall celebrating my 30th alone - and feeling good about it. Music was go goin' my way and made me think less about age or turning round sharp corners, , , , still does. . . 

If listening to horrible Bob Dylan songs is depressing, then listening to horrible bootleg quality Bob Dylan songs is even worse.

I love when bootlegs sound like they were recorded with the microphone stuffed inside a pillow.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Boyd said:

I am in the if I knew I was going to hang around this long I would have taken better care of myself camp.

70th B-day coming up in a little over a week, with five happy years of retirement in the books.  Body & mind working pretty well, living in a small coastal town, and still having fun with music.

When I was thirty, I hated my job & figured I’d be lucky to make it to fifty!

I'm 73 and physically, feeling like crap. Sixty years of hockey goaltending has beaten the $hit out of this body. Four knee operations, hip replacement, torn supraspinatus muscle in right shoulder (that won't be fixed because I'm too old) spinal stenosis, compressed discs, and arthritic joints. But I changed my eating habits and diet, dropped 35 pounds so far,  the cat uses my **** for a scratching post, I get to play my guitars every day, and I'm still alive, so I consider that a plus.

RBSinTo

59 minutes ago, bobouz said:

70th B-day coming up in a little over a week, with five happy years of retirement in the books.  Body & mind working pretty well, living in a small coastal town, and still having fun with music.

When I was thirty, I hated my job & figured I’d be lucky to make it to fifty!

Happy Birthday, ol' buddy!

Maybe this'll cheer you up!

• Like 2

I'll be 74 this September and do gardening for 3 great clients. As I have no pension other than the government type, it helps quite a bit.

A few years ago I got a deal on a J-45 and now have a bucket list guitar that makes the long Canadian winter days (short, actually) pass 

much more happily. BTW it's Bob Dylan's 80th birthday today and counter to what a lot of people think, I think he's an absolute genius and I don't mind his singing - most of the time.

So let's just keep on picking and grinning and worry less about how many and how fancy our guitars may be and be glad that we came up through one of the most interesting eras ever experienced on this planet. Plus... we just may get through this pandemic , finally. Peace.

In no particular order of importance:

Attended my first jam since this $&#@ started.  It felt good to sing with and hug a few good friends again.  

We’re told that the mask mandate is about to be lifted.

My OM28 is sublime, as is my J45.

My wife and I are best friends and laugh all the time.  

Michigan summers are unbeatable.

Spent much of the day digging in the dirt, digging out roots and stumps.  

Kids are good...I’m a blessed man.

I don’t remember how old I am ....😂😂😂

Roger

I’m 72 years of age with the usual aches and pains.  Arthritis, bad knees and back.

But, I did receive my new L-00 Standard Vintage Burst two weeks ago, and life is good!

I don’t know if my skills will ever warrant this guitar, but, I’m enjoying the journey!

• Like 1

Will hit Mile Marker 74  this week.   The '60s  battle cry -  "Never Trust Anyone Over 30"  has changed to  "Never Trust Anyone Under 30" .    Realized this Spring that every time I cut the lawn for the first time of the season - it's harder than I remembered.   Have attended 3 minor league games here, great seats - second row behind Home.  Prices on tickets jumped 20%.  I guess to make up for no season last year.  $10 for a beer!  That was even harder to swallow.    With inflation on necessities increasing faster than me getting older - I may have to make this, my 10th year, the last time I get season tickets - get a Library Card and sit on my front porch yelling  "Get Off My Lawn".