Gibson Brands Forums

A Few Home Truths

IanHenry

This young person is trying to make the world a healthy place for humans, she is young and trying to do good and that is admirable. GO GRETA.   Hysterical ranting ? wtf !!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Amazing how parents of children like Greta Thornberg and David Hogg allow their children to become bitter when they should be enjoying their youth.  I suppose it is because the parents know they themselves wouldn't be successful pushing their agenda. So they fill their children with their own biases, wind them up - and put them on a blog hoping to get a call from some local media news reporter who will propel them to national notoriety.   Social Media - a two edged sword.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm not speaking to pollution and school shootings, only the motives of parents who appear to use their children as shills. 

perhaps the "children " have their own thoughts, perhaps if you went thru what  david  did  youd  speak out too....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Some brains never achieve that goal.

That certainly seems to be the case with that commentator.  I mean, why get on HER case by blaming her generation for using all the ready-at-hand electronic devices that HIS generation helped develop?    Is he trying to claim it's all her generation's fault because their parents drive them to school?  As if that relatively small gathering of automobiles are a major factor in climate change and other environmental issues. :rolleyes:A few centuries of pouring poison in the waterways and industrial smokestacks effusing toxic fumes in the air apparently don't result in negative consequences,   at least according to science deniers.

Whitefang

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always been an advocate for electrifying as much as possible and receiving that energy from the sun. All I’m saying is that if my actions are harmful to the planet and I can do something about it I’m in. Simple as that. Attacking people is media stuff again - more this person said this, this person said that to X… annoying AF. I don’t waste the time of my life watching that high school popularity contest BS. Take care of your life, take care of life. We aren’t the only living thing in this earth and don’t see too many options of having another place to go. Yes it will die one day, but that’s just a guarantee that time grants us with. We are all gonna die one day… why not treat out bodies like s*** and just say, “Oh well!” I only wish I could do more. But hey I’m human and I need to consume and procreate like all living things in this earth. That is the end goal of everything I believe in the most basic of terms. IDK… I’m no scientist but I don’t think one needs to be a scientist to understand basic stuff like this. Agree to disagree if you must. There is no right or wrong answer, life I believe is phenomenon. Stuff just happens. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a theory that the 60s peace movement was derailed "in part"  from ridicule supported by polluters and corporate pro war profit makers,  and then making the whole "peace and love "  thing a sit com for the for the masses....deflect and deny....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Global warming or Climate Change began after the Ice Age. It’s been going on ever since.. 

The Ice Age was caused by something other worldly. The End will most likely be caused the same way... 

We can all do a better job of taking care of where we live... And should..

What can she do about the biggest Polluters like China? Nothing.. Is she planning a future in Politics? Sounds like a Polotician.

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

When did this kid become the voice of science?  She's a KID!

And I think...probably the anti-christ..8-[

She just turned 18 in January, she was born in 2003. So she must be in her last year of High School.  When I was in HS, I was smoking week and listening to Zappa, not saving the planet.

She is a angry and bitter little thing isn't she.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:
8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Here in the US you can:

1.  Enlist in the armed forces

2.  Smoke cigarettes 

3.  Vote

4.  Drive a car

5.  Donate blood and become an organ donor

6.  Work full time

7.  Play the lottery

8.  Consent to having sexual relations with someone who is 18 or older

9.  Establish checking/savings account

10.  Apply for loans

11.  Apply for credit cards 

12.  Get piercings/tattoos without parents consent 

13.  Change your birth name 

14.  File a lawsuit

15.  Get married 

16.  Buy spray paint, fireworks and adult videos

17.  Purchase a house or vehicle

18.  Move out of your parents' home

.... At 18.  But I guess it makes sense to draw the line at expressing an opinion about the environment in a public forum. 

Here in the US you can:

2.  Smoke cigarettes 

3.  Vote

4.  Drive a car

6.  Work full time

7.  Play the lottery

10.  Apply for loans

14.  File a lawsuit

15.  Get married 

.... At 18.  But I guess it makes sense to draw the line at expressing an opinion about the environment in a public forum. 

When did I say she didn’t have the right to voice her opinion?? I didn’t. Stop putting words in my mouth. She can say whatever she wants. 

And BTW, just because you’re old enough to do something legally, it doesn’t mean you should do it. 

25 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Global warming or Climate Change began after the Ice Age. It’s been going on ever since.. 

The Ice Age was caused by something other worldly. The End will most likely be caused the same way... 

We can all do a better job of taking care of where we live... And should..

What can she do about the biggest Polluters like China? Nothing.. Is she planning a future in Politics? Sounds like a Polotician.

perhaps if she did run for office and was elected she would do something about china and the worlds pollution, for now raising the issue is what she can do  (greener energy) .. politicians (good ones ) are needed to run  the world ,

35 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Here in the US you can:

2.  Smoke cigarettes 

3.  Vote

4.  Drive a car

6.  Work full time

7.  Play the lottery

10.  Apply for loans

14.  File a lawsuit

15.  Get married 

She is 18 as of January.  Only one of those things on the list she can't legally do in the USA. Outside of the US all bets are off.

Here in the US you can:

1.  Enlist in the armed forces. She can to that. You need to be 17.

2.  Smoke cigarettes. She can't do that you need to be 21.

3.  Vote. She can to that. You need to be 18.

4.  Drive a car. She can do that in many states you need to be at least 16.

5.  Donate blood and become an organ donor. She can to both. You need to be 13 to donate blood, and an organ is 18.

6.  Work full time. She can to that. You need to be 16.

7.  Play the lottery. She can to that. You need to be 18.

8.  Consent to having sexual relations with someone who is 18 or older. She can to that. You need to be 18.

9.  Establish checking/savings account. She can to that. You need to be 18.

10.  Apply for loans. She can to that. You need to be 18.

11.  Apply for credit cards. She can to that. You need to be 18.

12.  Get piercings/tattoos without parents consent. She can to both. You need to be 18.

13.  Change your birth name. She can to that. You need to be 16.

14.  File a lawsuit. She can to that. You need to be 18.

15.  Get married. She can to that. Some states its as young as 16.

16.  Buy spray paint, fireworks and adult videos. She can to all three. You need to be 18.

17.  Purchase a house or vehicle. She can to both. You need to be 18.

18.  Move out of your parents' home. She can to that. You need to be 18.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

Listening to Zappa is more fun than playing the fiddle.

I though it was fiddle if you are in a Bluegrass Band and a violin when you play anywhere else.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

It's not an analogy, O Wise One. It's an expression to describe those who are blissfully — or intentionally — unaware of what's going on around them.

Your thought processes are poor.

An analogy is the comparison of two things. Look it up in the dictionary "Oh wise one!". You were comparing Nero's actions to Sgt. Pepper's.  And I pointed out to you that it was a poor analogy. And it certainly was. You then tried to change the argument.  You seem to just enjoy putting other members down when you disagree with them. You get on others about hurling insults, but you do it yourself all the time. And you think you are being so witty about it. 

So I had to  call you out on your poor analogy. And now you have shown that YOU don't even know what an analogy is. 

I've been a public school teacher for over 30 years. I know some stuff. Some.

I don't know everything.  

Like some think they do...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

She just turned 18 in January, she was born in 2003. So she must be in her last year of High School.  When I was in HS, I was smoking week and listening to Zappa, not saving the planet.

She is a angry and bitter little thing isn't she.

you make her sound so good, yourself , not so much.    (edited by myself for my going personal)

Edited by jvi
addition

I remember when Carl Sagan spoke in the 90s about how governments should work towards environmental improvement.  We've been arguing about this for decades and not much has happened.  Truth is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  I miss Carl...  Smart man. 

• Like 2