Gibson Brands Forums

Fellow Acoustic Lovers - How do you store your Electric Hollow/Semi-Hollow Bodies?

BoSoxBiker

If it's made of wood, it will be impacted by changes in humidity unless it is completely encased in an impermeable membrane , such as epoxy resin. This goes for conventional acoustics and acoustic/electrics, semi-hollowbody electrics, and even solid-body electrics.

Obviously, the more pieces of thin wood are involved, the greater the risk of damage is from changes in humidity.  A  solid-body electric like a Strat will be less affected than an ES-335, which will in turn be less impacted than  a J-45.

I treat all my wood guitars the same. They live in their cases in an environmentally-controlled space, which is my office at home. My only true electric is a '59 Historic ES-335 from the old Custom, Art, and Historic shop in Nashville.

The only guitar I own that doesn't care about the climate or humidity--and is treated accordingly-- is my Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar, which lives on my boat in the summer and often  in the overhead bin of airplanes when I travel for work.

Wood shrinks and expands the greatest across the grain, and typically very little along the grain. As a frame of reference, a freshly-cut white oak plank a foot wide (300mm) and two inches thick (50mm) will shrink about an inch (25mm) across the grain when it is kiln dried, and slightly less with air drying. ( That info comes from my years in boatbuilding.)

My 1960's Japanese Matsumoku factory  ES-335 knock-off lives in an inexpensive case along with an Oasis humidifier that is re-filled once per week all year 'round.

I've owned this guitar for about four years and so far have had no problems with cracks or splitting.

RBSinTo

On 6/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, BoSoxBiker said:

Yup, same guitar. I'll call the company and see what they has to say.

Is there a screw that you can loosen on the tuners to see if you can loosen them up. My Grover's appear to have one.

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is there a screw that you can loosen on the tuners to see if you can loosen them up. My Grover's appear to have one.

I had to look to be sure. My memory is iffy to the point where I just remembered I didn't respond to you yet.  🙄  There are no screws on these tuners. (Assuming you mean the end of the tuner knobs....)

36 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I had to look to be sure. My memory is iffy to the point where I just remembered I didn't respond to you yet.  🙄  There are no screws on these tuners. (Assuming you mean the end of the tuner knobs....)

On my Grover's, there a screw diagonal to the gear on end of the shaft, not on the button. Or maybe the flat head screw that secures the gear is to tight.

zpzKDbq.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe you can you put a drop of lube on the gear and remove the string and wind it with a string winder to try to see if that helps.

As some in a county near me might say, 'that might could work!" I'll try it next change. 😎

I am a believer that all guitars, acoustic or electric, should be stored in their cases when not being played.  Cases are amazingly air tight and keep a fairly steady humidity level when room humidity changes.  Where I live in the winter humidity inside will get down below 30% when the heat is on a lot, and right now outside humidity is close to 90%, indoors about 60%.  I do use humidipaks in the winter and silica gel in the summer to try to keep guitars about 45 - 50%.  

I don't think your new 335 will be as susceptible to warping as an acoustic as it's body is a maple/poplar/maple laminate with the poplar running cross grain to the maple, but monitor it and keep it in the case for good measure.  

• 2 years later...

It seems pretty well accepted that the case is the best place to store them. If hanging on a wall, the wall should be an inside wall, meaning that the other side of the wall isn't facing outside. Apparently, the inside of exterior walls will be affected by the outside temperature so that in winter, the guitar could be cooler against it's back than the front, which is facing the room, causing warping and seam separation. 

In north Florida, I've never seen low humidity in our house. I have a humidity meter, and it is always showing between 50-68 humidity all year in the office, where I keep the guitars. 

On 6/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, Dave F said:

I used to keep them in their case with the Boveda packs. When I finally was able to setup a guitar room that I could control I have them all out on the wall or on a rack. That's my Ovation I bought new in 1970 in the corner.

Arch tops

Man, that's an amazing collection. Nice display. That's in interior wall, right? The other side doesn't face outside?

Edited by Guithartic

1 hour ago, Guithartic said:

Man, that's an amazing collection. Nice display. That's in interior wall, right? The other side doesn't face outside?

The room only has one exterior wall. Nothing but a window and hanging straps and cords. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Low Country Boy said:

Dave - Above you mention shrinkage of a white oak plank run through a kiln.  Not questioning accuracy of statement but 1 inch seems excessive. Do you happen to know how the plank was sawn?  Whole/plain, quarter or riff?

LCB

I think Nick made that comment

• Like 1

When I owned an ES-339, it hung on the wall with everything else. It's gone. It hung where the J-15 that replaced it is.

Mine only get cased to travel.

NqTF4sd.jpg

18 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

We need another comment from Nick - just to be sure his ship remains 'bove the waterline ~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been five months since he checked in.