Gibson Brands Forums

Everyone order their Calton case ?

Hall

I don't get e-mail from Gibson, but found this with Google. What an annoying site, big popups kept inviting me to chat with somebody. A case for my J-50 would only cost $1215. I knew these were expensive because I checked them out in 2014 when I was going on a trip. This reminds me why I got a Hiscox case instead. Have heard that the Caltons are reallywell-made and indestructible, but quite a bit heavier compared to Hiscox. Sorry, gonna pass on this one. That case is almost as expensive the guitar!

https://www.calton-cases.com/shop/acoustic-guitar-cases/gibson-acoustic/

Edited by Boyd

48 minutes ago, slimt said:

Where are the cases made? I have a couple that were made in Calgary Alberta back in the day.  There not cheap.    

That link says the cases are made in Austin, Texas.

I think those cases can be thrown off a two story house ad blasted with a blow torch and your guitar will still be fine. I think I saw an ad for in on that show that The acoustic guy does Tony, I can't remember his last name right now.

Its either those or some other super expensive case.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think those cases can be thrown off a two story house ad blasted with a blow torch and your guitar will still be fine. I think I saw an ad for in on that show that The acoustic guy does Tony, I can't remember his last name right now.

Chief,

Another thing I'd never heard of or needed until someone told me I did.

But since I don't ever plan on throwing my guitars from the second story of our house, or blasting them with blow torches, I'll pass, and just stick with the cases I currently store them in. So far, so good.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

But since I don't ever plan on throwing my guitars from the second story of our house, or blasting them with blow torches, I'll pass

Well, putting it in the checked baggage on an international flight is probably a similar amount of abuse. 🙂 But my Hiscox case did a good job of that and "only" cost $280. I wouldn't do that with the original Gibson case.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,  Tony Polestra  maybe?

12 hours ago, Boyd said:

Well, putting it in the checked baggage on an international flight is probably a similar amount of abuse. 🙂 But my Hiscox case did a good job of that and "only" cost $280. I wouldn't do that with the original Gibson case.

If I ever play a concert out of Canada, my contract will stipulate that Martin guitars are to be provided at the venue for me, so I won't have that problem.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

2 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Dave,  From you perspective which do you think is the best of those three?

The Calton was a dread size. It was a tank and very heavy. It was an older one so I cannot say if the newer ones are the same. I sold it after I got the Hoffee.

I got the largest Hoffee case which will fit my L5 but it's a little too snug for the Super 400 then per request they included some removable pads so I could adjust the case to hold most smaller size guitars including a dread. It's a lot lighter, closer to the Hiscox.

My knocks on the Hiscox are the interior padding is pretty much covered star foam with a few pads and I do not care for the aluminum framing/edge.

• Like 1

I fly a lot with guitars. Well, flew, before the pandemic. In the 12 months preceding the pandemic, I was out of the country (US) 20 times, always with a guitar, most often with a went-to-WWII 1940s Banner SJ. During that period, I also delivered a guitar to Eric Clapton (but not before I gigged with it in London  🙂   ).

I always use flight cases. I do have a couple of Caltons. I think that they are the most durable. They are also the heaviest. I've decided that at age 66, I've aged out of Calton cases. I really hate dragging them through airports, even when carrying them with shoulder straps.

I have used Hiscox cases. I share Dave's reluctance about them. The are light, but that aluminum edge is scary. Plus, their latches are not very secure.

I also have used Hoffee. A bit lighter than Calton, but also  bit bulkier.

I recently begun using Crossrock cases. I purchased one because I needed a case for another went-to-WWII Banner Gibson (an LG-2, #2 from the very first batch of Banner flattops and the earliest Banner flattop known. Anyone know where number 1 is?) First a disclaimer: the company offered me an endorsement deal, which would allow me to purchase the cases at wholesale. Because I don't need any more cases, I declined the offer. Anyway, I quite like the case. Very sturdy and very light.

Bottom line for me: if I fly, I put my guitar in a flight case. But otherwise I would not spend the money on such an expensive case.

• Like 1

I'm not in the market for a case of this caliber, and doubt I ever will be, but if you don't care about the Gibson-branded version, I really like that you can customize colors on their site. For the same $1,215 that the Gibson J-45 case costs, I can get a grey and blue case for my Epiphone Texan.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Another thing I'd never heard of or needed until someone told me I did.

But since I don't ever plan on throwing my guitars from the second story of our house, or blasting them with blow torches, I'll pass, and just stick with the cases I currently store them in. So far, so good.

RBSinTo

You never know. If the zombies attack you may have to escape from the second story and I’ll bet you could use the case to bludgeon one or two brain eaters.

16 hours ago, Dave F said:

The Calton was a dread size. It was a tank and very heavy. It was an older one so I cannot say if the newer ones are the same. I sold it after I got the Hoffee.

I got the largest Hoffee case which will fit my L5 but it's a little too snug for the Super 400 then per request they included some removable pads so I could adjust the case to hold most smaller size guitars including a dread. It's a lot lighter, closer to the Hiscox.

My knocks on the Hiscox are the interior padding is pretty much covered star foam with a few pads and I do not care for the aluminum framing/edge.

Cool  Thanks for you input.