Gibson Brands Forums

Neal Schon's guitars

jdgm

Neal Schon ("The Vortex") is auctioning some of his stunning guitar collection -

https://entertainment.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=3189+792+4294940940

It's all great, the LPs are obviously the business but check those 335s and the beautiful 50s and 60s Strats.  [love]

If these are what he's selling.... what's he keeping?

Edited by jdgm

10 hours ago, jdgm said:

Neal Schon ("The Vortex") is auctioning some of his stunning guitar collection -

https://entertainment.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=3189+792+4294940940

It's all great, the LPs are obviously the business but check those 335s and the beautiful 50s and 60s Strats.  [love]

If these are what he's selling.... what's he keeping?

No kidding    Some cool guitars.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Maybe he's had enough? He might have discovered the piccolo!

Well, that'll be one piccolo player that won't be a....well..... never mind.  [blush]

I find it hard to believe that the '74 Guild is the only acoustic in his collection.  Unless of course, it's the only one he's auctioning off.

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, that'll be one piccolo player that won't be a....well..... never mind.  [blush]

I find it hard to believe that the '74 Guild is the only acoustic in his collection.  Unless of course, it's the only one he's auctioning off.

Whitefang

Yes that jokes been on my mind too 🙂

Could be he's going acoustic like Sgt P

31 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Referring to Neal Schon's guitar playing??  Agreed!!!!!

I wouldn't know the man if he ran me over, so I can't comment on his ability as a musician.

What I was referring to is the pile of guitars he is auctioning off.

RBSinTo

53 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Referring to Neal Schon's guitar playing??  Agreed!!!!!

Well, he was(is) good enough to be taken into Carlos Santana's band at age 17, so there must be something there.  And his work with Journey, before the advent of Steve Perry and the band became a  commercially salient AOR band was pretty remarkable.  Try this at the 4:13 mark---------

Whitefang

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, he was(is) good enough to be taken into Carlos Santana's band at age 17, so there must be something there.  And his work with Journey, before the advent of Steve Perry and the band became a  commercially salient AOR band was pretty remarkable.  

Yes, and Eric Clapton wanted him too.  ALTHOUGH, neither wanted Neal to play lead for them,  Hmmm.  Also, even the clip you provided was "okay".  Neal Schon gets mentioned with some rarified air that I don't feel he deserves at all.  Compared to -- just for example -- Buck Dharma, Pat Travers, or Scott Gorham, Neal Schon is at best an "also ran" ... i.e., not that great.  And here is the real RUB on Neal Schon ... When I was a young 18-year-old guitar player about to graduate high school in the SF Bay Area, I went to an air-show with my (ahem, very attractive) 16-year old girlfriend.  And who is there??  Neal f-n Schon and Jonathon Cain.  So, ol' smooth Neal starts trying to pick up my girlfriend right in front of me.  Really, Neal???  You are friggin' rock star, and you are trying to steal my 16-year-old girlfriend???  And, no, if you were wondering, she did not leave with him or take his number.  Neal Schon is a straight up ******bag as a human being ... and his guitar playing has always been technically good, but second rate, at best.  Oh, and I am soooooo glad that Steve Perry ignores his incessant requests to "come back into Journey, and we will fire our existing lead singer because I feel no loyalty to him at all  ..."  (ummm, now would you like to know how I really feel?? LOL)

I quite like some of his music. 

He can be a very self-indulgent widdler but his playing makes me smile and he rocks.  It's interesting to listen to the solo albums.  Probably Satriani and Lukather phrase better but Schon can rip off some blinding stuff.  "Vortex" and "Electric World" have some good tunes and solos on them, though the "Piranha Blues" CD is very disappointing IMO.   His wedding on youtube is classic OTT all-American excess....I thought it was funny - but what a band. 

He's also responsible for getting the original Santana band back together to make Santana IV.

The guy can play.  If he's 2nd rate then I am really in trouble. [wink]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jdgm said:

... The guy can play.  If he's 2nd rate then I am really in trouble. 

Fair enough, and very well said.  What can I say??  I am Sicilian and still harboring deep personal grudges.  It's in my DNA ... (LOL)

• Haha 1

Y'know, it's apparent that some don't think Schon's that that much of a guitarist probably because hiis style, technique(or whatever) doesn't speak to them.  I've much the same reaction to Eddie Van Halen, a guitar player EVERYone seems to gush about.  To me, his playing comes off as a lot of pointless, directionless self absorbed wanking.  Same with Malmsteen.  Just proves you can't please everyone.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

... Eddie Van Halen, a guitar player EVERYone seems to gush about.  To me, his playing comes off as a lot of pointless, directionless self absorbed wanking.  Same with Malmsteen ...

EVH and Malmsteen are two totally different animals.  It is okay to not like either of them, but they are universes apart in terms of music and guitar playing.  

I watched an interview with him and he sad that Bonamassa had got him into collecting. Then he had a flurry of videos on Instagram of him playing them. He must have spent a couple of mil on them. I suppose he's come to his senses and doesn't want them now. 

21 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

EVH and Malmsteen are two totally different animals.  It is okay to not like either of them, but they are universes apart in terms of music and guitar playing.  

Maybe.  But both sound(to me) like directionless, self absorbed wankers.  [cool]

3 hours ago, LarryUK said:

I watched an interview with him and he sad that Bonamassa had got him into collecting. Then he had a flurry of videos on Instagram of him playing them. He must have spent a couple of mil on them. I suppose he's come to his senses and doesn't want them now. 

I saw an interview with Tom Petty that was done before his death and shown shortly after.  He was showing what was left of the guitars he had, saying he was in the process of shedding most of them.  When the interviewer( forgot who) asked, "How many guitars do you need?"  Tom giggled and said, "Well, I can only play one at a time."  [wink]

Whitefang

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

When the interviewer( forgot who) asked, "How many guitars do you need?"  Tom giggled and said, "Well, I can only play one at a time."  [wink]

Whitefang

That’s what the younger generation calls a “humble brag”. Your prescribed reaction is an “aw shucks”

• Haha 1