Gibson Brands Forums

She finally arrived!

egoidealmusic

So, my replacement J-45 finally arrived today, and she's even more beautiful than the last!  And that first big G chord hit really hard was true and loud and rang on forever.  And, almost as if they knew I hated the extra strap button on the heel, this one came without it.

Trying to figure out how to post a photo but the file size is too damn big!  Until then, you can see her here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=134994322154182&set=a.101308988856049

Now she just needs a name.

Edited by egoidealmusic

Thanks, gumbino!   A number of the folks here said they'd hand pick one, and it seems pretty clear that they did.  The pic doesn't do it justice but the top is beautiful and textured with these gorgeous subtle stripes--along the center seem  is almost this hint of blonde.  I'm only typing now because my fingers got sore from playing!

Whooo, , , that could very well be the quintessential J-45. Dig the case too, , , serious, earthy, unpretentious, , , but confident - like the wunderbar guitar itself. . 
                                                                                                                                                                       Have a nice honeymoon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Whooo, , , that could very well be the quintessential J-45. Dig the case too, , , serious, earthy, unpretentious, , , but confident - like the wunderbar guitar itself. . 
                                                                                                                                                                       Have a nice honeymoon

I agree, it looks great. I have a True Vintage (c.2008) and it looks a lot like yours. Mine has the banner headstock though and all things considered i prefer the look of yours.

Enjoy it! Mines a great player and i bet yours is too.

Sounds like you are now a happy camper.   And no argument that Gibson did come through for you  on this one to make it right.

My J50 is 79 years old.  But even though I have owned it for a very long time whenever I pull the guitar from its case and hit a big fat open chord I utter a silent "Wow" and thank those ladies in Kalamazoo for  putting all those pieces of wood together.   That has got to be love.

While ears all hear something different mine tell me the key to a Gibson is not a ringing out till Kingdom Come.  If I had to single out one thing which defines Gibson Tone it is a fast bass decay.  It drops off quickly down to just the sustaining mids and particularly the trebles.    This is what I assume people are hearing when they talk about Gibson "thump."

Thanks, all!  I'll admit I'm even more in love with this one than the previous one.  One thing I've noticed, though--and this isn't a new complaint--is that she's just a touch heavier than the previous one.  I'm guessing because the previous had at least a couple of months for the wood to continue to dry out.  Guessing that's why some folks comment on the torrified top guitars being so much lighter than non-torrified guitars.

Either way, she feels like home!

14 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

That is a great burst - the light colors go well out toward the edges of the guitar.  Guessing by the rolled up jeans and black wingtips that you'll be playing some hillbilly music on her 😜

Boy, our CSI team doesn’t miss anything 😎