Gibson Brands Forums

Buckle Rash

Apyoung86

So, how do you avoid buckle rash on these guitars. This is something I have always wondered. I figured I would submit my question to the masses and see what they think.

Should I wear a non-metal belt buckle? What about those goofy metal snaps that come on jeans?

wear and tear is normall is gonna happen IMO i dont think there's anyway to avoid it. i guess you could dress in sweats everyday:-s most people here are collectors so they're gonna bash me for this but its just a guitar as long as it sounds good who cares. you could try wearing a non metal belt buckle or dont tuck your shirt in so its not exposed but i wouldnt go too far

plus its kinda a badge of honor to have a beat up guitar ](*,)

I suppose you could get one of those belts with the small metal hinge buckles.. and slide the buckle around to the side. Won't get you any style points, but it'll keep your pants up and save your guitar.

I don't bother myself.. I just chalk it up to a badge of honor.

i dont think theres much of a solution unless you have some type of clear plastic film covering the back kind of like how cars have those clear 3M adhesive bras on their front bumper preventing them from scratches, etc. i dont know if they make them or if it affects the guitar itself but definitely a custom job if you are really trying to make it happen.

There's a product that's sort of like a stick place mat that you can slap on the back of your guitar and easily remove after the gig. I don't remember what it was called but it was advertised by Guitar Center a couple months ago. As for me, I like to add character to my guitars and a buckle rash is a great way to "relic" your guitar by yourself.

When playing guitar I just slide my buckle around to the left side, or put the buckel in the back and really make people wonder. I wear 1" wide "dress" type belts, so it's easy to just yank it around in a pinch, right through the belt loops, without undoing it. To me the rivets on the right pocket of Levis are the real hazard. I don't gig in jeans, but I surely don't rehearse or practice in dress pants either. I do a lot of "suit gigs" and also worry about the buttons on the jacket and/or vest. There's always going to be something, and you can anly be SO careful. Like they have said above, there's not a whole lot you can do about it except hide your guitar away in it's case.

I use to play in a band with a bass player that played REAL expensive Spector basses. One night at a gig I noticed he had a huge ornate buckle on his belt. I asked him about it scratching up his bass and he said "with a belly like this, that bass never gets near the buckle". Upon further review, he was right.

So there's the answer...beer belly.

Years ago there was a mail order music company called The Bold Strummer. They sold sheet music and instructional type stuff, and they also sold stuff like guitar straps and t-shirts. They advertised a product called "The Guitar Players Belt". It was one piece of cut leather and the "buckle" end was a loop of leather that you tied in a specific way through the main part of the belt. I probably still have one stuffed in a box somewhere. The problem was that it was completely unadjustable, if you put on a few pounds it no longer fit. It was a good idea, but...

Beer belly, and I always wear shorts.

I'm in Arizona.

When playing at home in jeans years ago, I put a cloth pot holder in my pants and flipped it down in front.

I play in my underwear alot too - at home anyway...

Pull the belt around to left as stated above, and mind the metal rivets.

A buddy of mine gigs wearing sweatpants or stretchy panys of some sort, he always dresses a little hippie-ish anyway.

For the guys in the "Fxck it, it's Mojo" club, would you be upset if I keyed your car from one end to the other?

That's what I thought.

And you'll never touch any of my gear.

:-)

For the guys in the "Fxck it' date=' it's Mojo" club, would you be upset if I keyed your car from one end to the other?

That's what I thought.

And you'll never touch any of my gear.

:-)

[/quote']

The girlfriend of a drummer I fired once scratched Fu#k You Di#k Head in my van I left it .=D>

Anyway I'm very respectful of others instruments and like anyone else I hate that first scratch but I soon get over it. My players however I bought those with damage they were routed for full size humers and they were played 5 to 7 nights a week for years + I'm just an a$$ Hole on stage my gear gets torn up But they're in perfect working condition. My guitars are my tools and no matter how well you try to keep tool they get worked and warn. I'm in worse condition physically than my guitars Rock "N" Roll Casualty :-({|=

For the guys in the "Fxck it' date=' it's Mojo" club, would you be upset if I keyed your car from one end to the other?

That's what I thought.[/quote']

If you keyed MY car you would be a fuxkknuckle.

I if I key MY car who cares ...

It's mine...

• 8 months later...

i always have band stickers and skate stickers kickin around so i just slapped a few on the back of my guitar. i keep the front nice and clean but no one see's the back and you can take em off whenever you want, and use some vinegar to get the gunk off. might be a pain to get the sticky off but 20 mins later it'll come off and your guitar may retain a bit more value in the long run. i like having a weathered looking guitar but not huge pieces of the finish chipped away. i wear a studs, sometimes even a bullet belt, and most people at least have a big metal buckle. it's worth it

That's what I thought.[/quote']

No, No I wouldn't mind. It would take about three hours to have your huge key scratch covered my mud anyway.

My guitars don't have buckle rash. I rarely wear a belt, when playing,

and if I do, I move the buckle to my side, and have a shirt, sweat shirt

(if it's cold), or t-shirt on the outside of my jeans. Never had any problem,

with buckle rash. And, I don't let ANYone with a buckle, at "open mic" and

other venues, play my guitar(s). I rarely allow anyone to play them,

anyway...unless I know them really well, and they're as picky as I am. ;>)

CB

Archived