Gibson Brands Forums

redundant nameplate

merciful-evans

So I've just sold this old Fender guitar case to a player that was putting out feelers for one. I've had it since about 1972. It was beat up even then. Some 10 years on I made this nameplate from a brass offcut (I worked in a machine shop then) and got the fellow on the engraver to put my name on there in BOLD CAPS. So I glued it to the case where its remained for about 40 years. 

R5Qlo2E.jpg

I managed to remove the plate with a single stroke (palm heel to chisel). The case material was fine underneath.

I thought I'd just attach it to another case, but its old and my cases mostly aren't. Should I buff it up & put fresh paint in the letters? 

bmsaFS6.jpg

It would then go with the gold latches of the 339 case here. Or just leave it looking old & repurpose it some other way? TBH, I dont think I'm ever going back to lots of gigging anymore, so maybe its already served its purpose.

U8yDp6g.jpg

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  Sprucing up the finish couldn't hurt.  And if you've a steady enough hand to paint inside the engraving,  go for it.  Which color would you use?

Whitefang

In my opinion, Rudi shouldn't care what you, me, or anyone else thinks.

Only matters what Rudi's opinion is, and what he wants to do, so I'm not sure why he even bothers to ask.

Second, paint-infilling an engraved plate is easy. Wipe a paint-soaked rag across plate until all engraving filled, and wipe off excess surface paint with clean rag.

RBSinTo

16 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Only matters what Rudi's opinion is, and what he wants to do, so I'm not sure why he even bothers to ask.

Second, paint-infilling an engraved plate is easy. Wipe a paint-soaked rag across plate until all engraving filled, and wipe off excess surface paint with clean rag.

RBSinTo

This is what I think when people ask what guitar to buy. However, I really do not know what to do & some opinions/ideas are sincerely wanted. 

The little nameplate has some special value to me. I was inspired to make one at 16 years old when I saw a similar one on Pete Quin's (local player) J200 case. I thought "I'm getting one like that one day". 

Anyway, so far I'm inclined to go with Whitefang's suggestion. 

Whitefang: The paint was red originally (hard to see in pic). Probably stick to that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

.....Whitefang: The paint was red originally (hard to see in pic). Probably stick to that.

Rudi,

First re-finish the plate before deciding on an infill colour.

You can easily test it with red, black or white paint infill after you've shined/ buffed the plate,  and then decide what colour gives the best contrast, and visability.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

I didn't think he was looking for approval,  just maybe suggestions or direction.  And like you even gave.  See....

I'd have never thought about coloring the inside of the engraving like the way you suggested.  [wink]

And it's clear(crystal even) he bothered to ask because he wasn't sure of what he wanted to do.   And the only opinion I'd proffer is that the nameplate would be better on the guitar's case, rather than the guitar itself.  [wink]

Whitefang

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I think it looks fabulous just the way it is. 

Maybe a buffing off with some spray shine carnauba wax. 

It's vintage, but not relic'ed. 
Road-worn, but not artificially so. 

Love it. 

🙂

I agree with this.   Nice aged patina.

• Like 1

Just because in another life I worked for two different sign companies, I'll make another observation, and open another can of worms.

The original choice of upper case letters, while being large, is less " friendly" or "inviting" and more institutional-looking than upper and lower case for a personal message such as a  person's name, (unless of course the sign was for a company that made objects that cast a strong, brute force image) and I think it would look much better if it was re-engraved on the other side in caps and lower case, and then surface finished or not to Rudi's taste.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo