Gibson Brands Forums

My Absolute FAVORITE Christmas Song Of All Time!

DanvillRob

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

My favorite Christmas song is "Jingle Bell Rock" as it is heard in the opening sequence of that wonderful Christmas film, Lethal Weapon".

RBSinTo

I always loved that one also. By Bobby Helms.   Another one is, Brenda Lee's Rockin' around the Christmas tree. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:25 AM, Whitefang said:

Many PC wags would disapprove, but my wife and my Father in law thought it was funny too.  [wink]

Whitefang

The first time Debbie heard that song, it was stuck in her head for like 2 months. Haha, She kept singing it to me every day trying to get it in my head. 

Another favorite of mine is the Frank Sinatra rendering of "Have yourself a merry little Christmas".

It was played during scenes in the 1963 war film "The Victors" that showed the execution by firing squad of Private Eddie Slovik who was convicted of desertion. 

A beautiful song that is chilling in the context it was used in the movie.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Gosh, I haven't seen that movie in so long, I forgot what songs they played in it?  Might have to watch it this Christmas? 

It's not a Christmas musical after all.  But they play "snippets" of a couple Christmas tunes.  The Platter's tune at the beginning of the Christmas shopping segment where Clark gets all goofy with a cute salesgirl, and a bit of this one when later, he's looking out the kitchen window, fantasizing about the swimming pool he's wanting to get.

That's the same salesgirl on the diving board.  [wink]

Whitefang

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

It's not a Christmas musical after all.  But they play "snippets" of a couple Christmas tunes.  The Platter's tune at the beginning of the Christmas shopping segment where Clark gets all goofy with a cute salesgirl, and a bit of this one when later, he's looking out the kitchen window, fantasizing about the swimming pool he's wanting to get.

That's the same salesgirl on the diving board.  [wink]

Whitefang

Isn't that the one where the cat gets shocked and burns its hair or it stands straight up? 

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Isn't that the one where the cat gets shocked and burns its hair or it stands straight up? 

Naw, the cat chews through some tree light wire and fries underneath an easy chair.  [cool]

And from another Christmas album fave---

And one I "discovered" one day a few years ago on one of those "college" stations!  Long story of how I found the CD....

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Anyone ever hear Ben Cartwright, ( Lorne Greene) sing, Christmas is a coming and the geese are getting fat?  I don't remember the album or the name of that song but it starts out that first verse. My mom played the album every year when I was a kid and it had all the Cartwright's from Bonanza singing Christmas songs. One of my favorites as a kid. 

Trouble with Xmas songs is that there are so many cash-ins and most of it is cloyingly sentimental and yucky.  BAH! [angry]

I notice no-one's put up anything off the Dylan Xmas album yet  (don't worry there's NO need ). 🦃

Here's an old one...I didn't know they'd made a whole Xmas album too...this is bearable and even good -

And here's Miles with Bob Dorough on vocals -

jdgm,   I just gave your recommendation - Mile Davis a listen. Well, the first minute or so.   I would rather have a root canal performed by a proctologist than have to listen to the rest.     Miles Davis, of course, is a fantastic artist.   His 'Summertime', for example.  So - I'm not sure where that 'Blue Xmas'  came from.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Retired said:

Anyone ever hear Ben Cartwright, ( Lorne Greene) sing, Christmas is a coming and the geese are getting fat?  I don't remember the album or the name of that song but it starts out that first verse. My mom played the album every year when I was a kid and it had all the Cartwright's from Bonanza singing Christmas songs. One of my favorites as a kid. 

Sounds as it that'd be scarier than the ghost of Christmases to come!  [wink]

I heard the cast of Bonanza sing.   Certain to put anyone off their feed.

Whitefang

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sounds as it that'd be scarier than the ghost of Christmases to come!  [wink]

I heard the cast of Bonanza sing.   Certain to put anyone off their feed.

Whitefang

Bonanza:  Christmas on the Ponderosa, it was an album from the 60's. 

• Haha 1