Gibson Brands Forums

Michael Kelly Guitars

Big Bill

Have any of you ever checked out any of these Michael Kelly guitars? They look pretty sweet, but the price tells me they are too good to be true. Evidently the guitars are made in Asia then ship to the U.S. where they are upgraded with American hardware. Some even have Duncan or Fralin pups... 

https://reverb.com/item/45900957-michael-kelly-cc50-burl-burst-electric-guitar-houston-tx

fwsxeq015tl7iyuwz2i1.jpg

Edited by Big Bill

I have heard of them, and that is a pretty nice example.  

US made pickups ARE still superior tho.  but, the gap is no longer quite as wide.

The stuff coming out of the far east these days has stepped up.

I have an MIK Gretsch and an MIC Sheraton Pro II that are both excellent guitars.   

Nothing beyond the standard setup stuff was needed. 

Never heard of them, but the two pictured here look nice.  That burl T-style is really nice looking.  But the big question of course is how do they feel playing them (neck profile, radius, etc.) and how do they sound?  I have more guitars than I need or will ever want at this point so not real excited about any inexpensive stuff made in Indonesia.

35 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Would you say it's one of those guitars that "you get what you pay for"?

plus,  I got it used for a great price. and I went into the deal knowing & understanding that it isn't "CUSTOM SHOP" quality. which was actually what I wanted.  I only play 3 or 4 songs in open G and I didn't feel like dragging a Les Paul to gigs for just a few tunes.  plus last few years I've had a boat gig, this  will be a perfect guitar to use on questionable gigs. and like I mentioned, I really am surprised at how nice it plays & sounds. I'm glad I got it. 

11 minutes ago, Karloff said:

plus,  I got it used for a great price. and I went into the deal knowing & understanding that it isn't "CUSTOM SHOP" quality. which was actually what I wanted.  I only play 3 or 4 songs in open G and I didn't feel like dragging a Les Paul to gigs for just a few tunes.  plus last few years I've had a boat gig, this  will be a perfect guitar to use on questionable gigs. and like I mentioned, I really am surprised at how nice it plays & sounds. I'm glad I got it. 

I toying around with the idea of getting one myself. Thanks for the input my friend! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NighthawkChris said:

Both guitars pictured here look good to me. Sounds like they have a quality element to them as well. And yeah I agree that I don’t pull the CS Gibsons out to carry to the gig most of the time. Is the top more veneer or like an actual cap of flamed looking wood?

you know, I'm not really sure.  I'd have to root around online to find out. but mine looks even nicer up close as it does in the pic. 

Just now, NighthawkChris said:

@Karloff yeah the top on yours looks pretty nice if I don’t say so myself. It should catch some eyes up on stage. Even if it were a veneer if it plays nice that’s the most important thing. 

it really does play nice, decent binding and whatever pickups are in it, sounds more than good enough ...