Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Deb thinks I get more emotional when a pet dies over a human. She might be right? Haha.  I buried our Champion Doberman in the back. I had a headstone made for him. Our son was in grade school still and wanted to put some of Bandits things down there with him. I dug that grave down past 5 feet, but not quite to the 6 foot mark. I wanted to make sure that if more cable or wiring was put in that he wouldn't be dug up. Gosh, It took me like 20 years to get over his death.  He will always hold a special place in my heart. Yeah, I can still shed a tear if I think about him. 

Here's a story I read in Reader's Digest back in the mid-'60's while waiting for a friend at his doctor's.  It was contributed by a reader and presumed to be true.  It stayed in my memory all these years, and I always thought it astounding.

The lady wrote that her family had their dog, a small Scottie, for about 15 years, even before her kids were born.  It was so old it had trouble getting up the inside stairs of their house.  It would go up two, rest a while and then take two more, rest again and do this until finally reaching the top.  It would also lurch around the house in a slow, stilted manner just like an old man.

Well, one night the lady wrote she had trouble getting to sleep, and suddenly heard a noise in the house.  It sounded just like when the dog was younger and trotted up the stairs at a good pace.  Then she heard the "tick-tick-tick" of a dog's claws on the wooden floor, and wondered if somehow some other dog manged to get inside the house.  Then suddenly, their old Scottie jumped up on the bed.  She lied still as the dog quickly licked her sleeping husband's face.  Then it jumped over him to lick her face.  Then it jumped off the bed and quickly trotted down the hall.  She quickly but silently got out of bed, went out the bedroom door in time to see it enter her young son's room.  She got to the door in time to see their old Scottie jump lightly onto his bed and quickly lick his face, then jumping off the bed(and then she leaned fast against the wall to escape notice),  the dog trotted lively to their much younger daughter's room and repeated the procedure.  Coming out of the girl's room the dog then quickly trotted down the steps until he got to the last one then lied down.  The lady followed the dog down the steps, and when she reached the bottom step discovered the dog had died!

It seemed to her the dog, knowing the end was upon him, somehow mustered the strength and energy to perform those tasks, as if to say "good-bye" to those he loved before finally departing.

In almost 60 years I still haven't forgotten that story.  If only people could do the same.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I buy more dog food with the money I save by  doing it myself.   Plus I get to keep what I pick up and put it on the doorstep of my neighbor who just put out a "BETO For Governor" political sign -  9 months before the election. 

That's not a neighborly thing to do.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Here's a story I read in Reader's Digest back in the mid-'60's while waiting for a friend at his doctor's.  It was contributed by a reader and presumed to be true.  It stayed in my memory all these years, and I always thought it astounding.

The lady wrote that her family had their dog, a small Scottie, for about 15 years, even before her kids were born.  It was so old it had trouble getting up the inside stairs of their house.  It would go up two, rest a while and then take two more, rest again and do this until finally reaching the top.  It would also lurch around the house in a slow, stilted manner just like an old man.

Well, one night the lady wrote she had trouble getting to sleep, and suddenly heard a noise in the house.  It sounded just like when the dog was younger and trotted up the stairs at a good pace.  Then she heard the "tick-tick-tick" of a dog's claws on the wooden floor, and wondered if somehow some other dog manged to get inside the house.  Then suddenly, their old Scottie jumped up on the bed.  She lied still as the dog quickly licked her sleeping husband's face.  Then it jumped over him to lick her face.  Then it jumped off the bed and quickly trotted down the hall.  She quickly but silently got out of bed, went out the bedroom door in time to see it enter her young son's room.  She got to the door in time to see their old Scottie jump lightly onto his bed and quickly lick his face, then jumping off the bed(and then she leaned fast against the wall to escape notice),  the dog trotted lively to their much younger daughter's room and repeated the procedure.  Coming out of the girl's room the dog then quickly trotted down the steps until he got to the last one then lied down.  The lady followed the dog down the steps, and when she reached the bottom step discovered the dog had died!

It seemed to her the dog, knowing the end was upon him, somehow mustered the strength and energy to perform those tasks, as if to say "good-bye" to those he loved before finally departing.

In almost 60 years I still haven't forgotten that story.  If only people could do the same.

Whitefang

It's very nice and brings a tear to the eye but.....sounds like a shaggy dog story!  🐶

We had a scottie then 2 westies when I was a kid.  It just tears you apart when they go....[sad]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Wow, nice story.  Bandit had wobblers syndrome. Nerves in his back pressing against the spine. That is the disease many Dobermans seem to get. When he could no longer get up off the floor to go outside to potty, I took him to the vet and they gave me some special meds to take his pain away. That did seem to help for a few months. On a morning I had to go to work, he was lying on the floor crying in pain. I called in work to take the day off. I gave him his morning dose which never did a thing, Then a bit later I tried one more dose. It never worked either so I tried a third dose. While he laid there still crying on the floor, I called the vet to bring him in. We were wondering how we were going to lift him to put him in the car? At the time of the appointment he seemed to help getting up and once at the vet, He came out to help and said, " Yes, he needs to be put down as he is suffering." He was too old for surgery and Ames was the only place I could have taken him to. No guarantees either. He explained to me the process of putting a dog down and all seemed to go fine untill that last shot. Bandit gasped for a breath  and looked straight at me as to say: "What the heck did you do to me?" That was when I lost it and had to leave the room.  I will never forget that moment as long as I live. Still makes me cry and that seems 30 years ago.  I think Sundance will be our last one. I cannot deal with dogs dying. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, jdgm said:

It's very nice and brings a tear to the eye but.....sounds like a shaggy dog story!  🐶

We had a scottie then 2 westies when I was a kid.  It just tears you apart when they go....[sad]

Yep, I can hardly deal with them going anymore. My wife's,  aunt's cat just passed away. It lived 25 or 27 years they said. Why can't dogs live that long? 

9 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I agree.  That's why I pile the poop on his stoop. 

I worked with a guy at Havelock Shops, he had a neighbor that let his dog crap in his yard all the time and would never pick it up. Guess he had a swimming pool in his back yard. So Steve told me he took a scooper and got the poop and took it over and put it in his swimming pool. Guess that worked? The guy had his dogs poop in his own yard after that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good one.  My brother, back in the early '80's was living with his woman friend in a quiet Oakland county, MI neighborhood.

One who never abused animals, but also never let them get away with much, looked out his front window and noticed an unfamiliar dog squatting on his front lawn, ready to let go.

My brother charged out the door, got to the dog just after it dropped a large loaf and swiftly kicked it's hind leg, causing the dog to yelp loudly and run off quick.  My brother then went into his house and came back out with a large wad of paper towel.  He stooped down to pick it up.  Just then an average sized middle aged man walked up just in front of where my brother was and asked, "What's the idea of kicking my dog?"  My brother looked up and asked, "Was that your dog?"  and the man said "Yes."  

Then my brother stood up to his full 6'3" height, looking down to the man he towered over and said, while slapping the handful of fresh dog crap into the man's hand saying, "Then THIS is your dog s h i t!"   [thumbup]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Good one.  My brother, back in the early '80's was living with his woman friend in a quiet Oakland county, MI neighborhood.

One who never abused animals, but also never let them get away with much, looked out his front window and noticed an unfamiliar dog squatting on his front lawn, ready to let go.

My brother charged out the door, got to the dog just after it dropped a large loaf and swiftly kicked it's hind leg, causing the dog to yelp loudly and run off quick.  My brother then went into his house and came back out with a large wad of paper towel.  He stooped down to pick it up.  Just then an average sized middle aged man walked up just in front of where my brother was and asked, "What's the idea of kicking my dog?"  My brother looked up and asked, "Was that your dog?"  and the man said "Yes."  

Then my brother stood up to his full 6'3" height, looking down to the man he towered over and said, while slapping the handful of fresh dog crap into the man's hand saying, "Then THIS is your dog s h i t!"   [thumbup]

Whitefang

About a decade or so back, we had a neighbor across the front street with 4 small dogs. Everyday he took them all together running loose on a long walk. No leash on any of them. They went in everyones yards for blocks peeing and craping and he never picked up anything. He did this 3  to 4 times a day. Guess some people want the pets but too lazy to clean up after them. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

I always pictured them to be sex offenders exclusively. 

They may be naked in the costume, wait they can't be they have a costume on.

My bro, and sis-in-law both worked for the one in Florida during the summer in their college days. Neither one suited up. My  sis-in-law worked backstage at one of the shows and my bro-in-law I think was one of the janitor type cleaner guys. My  sis-in-law told me once she watched Harry Connick Jr's kids when she worked there. She got to meet him. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:58 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Whitefang -  now that story will be stuck in my mind for 60 years.     My parents had 2 Scotties, one at a time.  After he second one died, my father loved dogs too much to get another.  

Another reason I had to get off facebook,  people kept showing photos of abused and starving pets.  It got to the point where I wanted to do the same to them for their cruelness. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love dogs just don’t want one that can poop a submarine.

You can always by a Bobcat for cleaning the yard….lol……Seriously, I agree with you.   We’ve got a Boston Terrier and a Boston-French Bulldog mix and they’re plenty for me…

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

You can always by a Bobcat for cleaning the yard….lol……Seriously, I agree with you.   We’ve got a Boston Terrier and a Boston-French Bulldog mix and they’re plenty for me…

I prefer the larger piles - they are much easier to find and pick up.  Our little 15 lb. mix leaves small surprises that are very hard to see, especially in the dead, brown grass of winter.  But they stick to the bottom of your shoe just fine.

(This thread has turned to crap - sorry, I take full responsibility for it !) 

• Haha 2

We discussed having a dog, but we're both too busy. So we care for other peoples dogs. We work for a service called Homesitters. We get to stay at clients homes and care for their pets while they are away. This is a clip showing Lulu who we cared for over Xmas. Its me throwing the ball and Cherry behind the camera. 

We have a sit coming up this year at a farmhouse with 3 dogs, 4 sheep, some chickens, runner ducks & quail.

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

We discussed having a dog, but we're both too busy. So we care for other peoples dogs. We work for a service called Homesitters. We get to stay at clients homes and care for their pets while they are away. This is a clip showing Lulu who we cared for over Xmas. Its me throwing the ball and Cherry behind the camera. 

We have a sit coming up this year at a farmhouse with 3 dogs, 4 sheep, some chickens, runner ducks & quail.

Cute, When I was single, I took care of all the Dobermans a married couple left at home and did not take to the dog show. I bought my Dob's from Kyjur kennels and the gal was a breeder and a handler. She would have up to 16 Dobermans at one time and maybe a litter also. So the pups would take extra care and sometimes feeding one from a dropper. But they were never gone more than a weekend. If she had pups, I would stay there day and night. She had a Blue one named BooBoo. He was mean and everyone was scared of him. I'm the only one except the family that could get close to him so I watched him too. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

80  pounds, me and my wife have a rule, we have no dogs that take bigger poops than we do. The 30 pound Cocker Spaniel was just about at the limit.

Question on that rule Sgt?  So whats a normal average size poop on a man verses a large dog? Lol.     I mean, I poop way bigger than Sundance and he weighs 104 pounds. Deb claims I poop 10 to 15 pounds at a time. Haha, Probably how I stay slim!

3 minutes ago, Retired said:

Question on that rule Sgt?  So whats a normal average size poop on a man verses a large dog? Lol.     I mean, I poop way bigger than Sundance and he weighs 104 pounds. Deb claims I poop 10 to 15 pounds at a time. Haha, Probably how I stay slim!

I know how big mine is and if the dog can outdo me I won’t have them as a pet.

• Like 1