Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe I’m alone in thinking this, but…

SGLPFB_Lover

12 hours ago, Retired said:

His house?  Yeah, our in-laws live like that too. Their house in Michigan is worth, $3 million. Then they have another mansion in Florida. That's where the kids are now visiting Mom & Dad. They just live off interest. 

Interest is almost nothing! $1,000,000 X 1%yr. = $10,000yr.…. $10,000,000 X 1% = $100,000yr..

You ain’t living like a King on that! Hope they don’t have payments on those Houses!

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Interest is almost nothing! $1,000,000 X 1%yr. = $10,000yr.…. $10,000,000 X 1% = $100,000yr..

You ain’t living like a King on that! Hope they don’t have payments on those Houses!

I don't think they do?  Our son has told us more about his wife's dad than anyone. When he worked, he owned shrimping farms all over the world and got his product to places much faster and fresh.  We have no idea what he is worth.  Millions or billions? We have been in his home in Chicago and the one in Michigan. He would make the Clampets on Beverly Hillbillies look like poor folk. 

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I don't think they do?  Our son has told us more about his wife's dad than anyone. When he worked, he owned shrimping farms all over the world and got his product to places much faster and fresh.  We have no idea what he is worth.  Millions or billions? We have been in his home in Chicago and the one in Michigan. He would make the Clampets on Beverly Hillbillies look like poor folk. 

I have an Uncle like that… He’s a really nice Guy too. He doesn’t have to put on airs… Many of his Properties are on the Southern California Coast on the Beaches.. 

I don’t mind the higher prices for the mainline.  $2100 for an SG with trem or vibrola, or $2600 for a Standard isnt too terrible—//

BUT, i my whole point was that I wished Gibson would keep connections to the other part of their base who cant necessarily afford that range.  A $999 range is that market I wish they’d expand on.

2 hours ago, SGLPFB_Lover said:

I don’t mind the higher prices for the mainline.  $2100 for an SG with trem or vibrola, or $2600 for a Standard isnt too terrible—//

BUT, i my whole point was that I wished Gibson would keep connections to the other part of their base who cant necessarily afford that range.  A $999 range is that market I wish they’d expand on.

You riding on a unicorn?

3 hours ago, SGLPFB_Lover said:

A few in Gibsons Modern Collection start at $999 including 1 Acoustic…. Not many though..

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have an Uncle like that… He’s a really nice Guy too. He doesn’t have to put on airs… Many of his Properties are on the Southern California Coast on the Beaches.. 

I actually like mark. He does not seem to flaunt his wealth. More down to earth like most people. His wife does seem to flaunt it. She will fly all 3 of their daughters up where they live, Rent out the dress shop for the day where only them have access to that store. Then shop and try on everything they want. She flips the entire bill, including airfare to and back. 

14 hours ago, SGLPFB_Lover said:

Gibson are well aware that the hobby market is the one to take seriously. They try to make models at different price points but know the upper end will always look more desirable. The collectors are a growing market I think, and the hobbyists are certainly morphing into them (we mostly all have a bunch of guitars now right?). 

There seem to be plenty of models in the price range you prefer. Maybe they should expand that range. It might even be the best move.. 

Pro players are a drop in the ocean. The only use Gibson have for them is as endorsees.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The rich get richer and you guys who buy them help them achieve that goal. I only buy used now so at least my money doesn't go to Chris.

Good point. The last Gibson I bought was used, and that guitar is flawless, so I'm very happy with it. Lots of great used guitars on the market these days. So much so that if I was in the market for a new guitar I would buy it used, but only if I could see and test it first.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Good point. The last Gibson I bought was used, and that guitar is flawless, so I'm very happy with it. Lots of great used guitars on the market these days. So much so that if I was in the market for a new guitar I would buy it used, but only if I could see and test it first.

If there never was a new one, you could never buy a used one… Every time you buy a new one somebody’s making money. Every time you buy a  used one, somebody’s making money…  Money makes the World go ‘round..

4 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

If there never was a new one, you could never buy a used one… Every time you buy a new one somebody’s making money. Every time you buy a  used one, somebody’s making money…  Money makes the World go ‘round..

Frequently a used one will sell at a loss. Very occasionally a even new one can sell at a loss. As long as we all find what we want and move on what we are done with, it works well enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Frequently a used one will sell at a loss. Very occasionally a even new one can sell at a loss. As long as we all find what we want and move on what we are done with, it works well enough. 

One persons loss is someone else’s gain.. In the end someone will make some Money..

What is the time spent playing all those Guitars worth? 0? Almost impossible to put a price on that.. 

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

One persons loss is someone else’s gain.. In the end someone will make some Money..

What if you re-sell and make a profit? Which doesn't always happen, but that is what we hope for when we get them. If you happen to have bought that '59 LP or that D-28 that was made before '69, or so, and is made of Braz RW, you can just about name your price for what you want for it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

53 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What if you re-sell and make a profit? Which doesn't always happen, but that is what we hope for when we get them. If you happen to have bought that '59 LP or that D-28 that was made before '69, or so, and is made of Braz RW, you can just about name your price for what you want for it.

There’s that too.. Part of my point in my earlier Post.. 

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

There’s that too.. Part of my point in my earlier Post.. 

Here’s the way I look at it. if I sell a guitar, and I lose $150 on it, and if I’ve had it for 4 years, I basically rented that guitar for four years for only $150.

• Thanks 1