Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater set up prices skyrocket. Limited supply of Gibsons and Epis as well

ALD323

What is a fair price for a set up? I called Sweetwater to order 3 guitars, and wanted set ups as well. Not long ago I paid $50.00 for a Sweetwater setup. Their set up however was much to be desired, and I took it to GC where they did a wonderful job for $50.00 on my brand new Gibson Hummingbird.   Sweetwaters set up cost went from $50.00 to a whopping $100 per guitar at Sweetwater. I was going to buy three guitars, but I realized the set cost would be $300 even before taxes. I put my credit car back  in my wallet. I did complain about it to him....The  Sweetwater Rep told me I should take it to GC where its cheaper. I'll do just as he suggests.  And I will also buy those three new guitars at GC as well. Approximately $2000 between the three guitars. I think I'm finished with Sweetwater and their hounding Reps. I think I've come to realize that GC offers high end guitar, buys and sells guitars, and it allows for returns with no shipping fees, and returns without questions asked. GC also set up My Gibson Hummingbird and 4 other high end guitar superbly, butter smooth, with $50.00 set up fees. 

Edited by ALD323

Everything is going up.....gas, food, guitars......you name it and it costs much more today than it did 90 days ago.  Not really surprising as the world is in turmoil.........who knows where or how far the madness will go.  I for one am happy to be an old man, content and comfortable with whatever time is left me...............

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Why not buy the guitars from Sweetwater and then have them set up some place else? No need to cut your nose off to spite your face. Sweetwater is a better dealer than Guitar Center. 

I've had three transactions with Sweetwater.  One, fantastic.  Two and Three, absolutely awful.  I've never had an experience even close to that bad at any of the GCs I've bought from, which is quite a few in different parts of the country.

rct

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rct said:

I've had three transactions with Sweetwater.  One, fantastic.  Two and Three, absolutely awful.  I've never had an experience even close to that bad at any of the GCs I've bought from, which is quite a few in different parts of the country.

rct

There's a reason Guitar Center has the reputation it has. I believe you and your experiences, but it's pretty well known stuff. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, rct said:

rct

I've had several bad experiences in the past at Sweetwater too, but I kept giving them another chance since everyone says they walk on water. Never ever had a bad one at GC.  And GC techs you can meet personally and chat first. The Sweetwater nonsense, reps calling all the time is a bit much. GC in the past has also given me much better discounts. And as one GC worker told me to my face. ..order this guitar, if you don't like it for ANY reason..FULL REFUND. I said you don't mean that! ...Oh yes, he said, you can return this $3000 guitar even if it is absolutely perfect. No questions asked. Change you mind..you return it..don't like the shade..returns it.  Try that at Sweetwater and they charge you postage just to return it even if the the neck is broke.

1 minute ago, ALD323 said:

I've had several bad experiences in the past at Sweetwater too, but I kept giving them another chance since everyone says they walk on water. Never ever had a bad one at GC.  And GC techs you can meet personally and chat first. The Sweetwater nonsense, reps calling all the time is a bit much. GC in the past has also given me much better discounts. And as one GC worker told me to my face. ..order this guitar, if you don't like it for ANY reason..FULL REFUND. I said you don't mean that! ...Oh yes, he said, you can return this $3000 guitar even if it is absolutely perfect. No questions asked. Change you mind..you return it..don't like the shade..returns it.  Try that at Sweetwater and they charge you postage just to return it even if the the neck is broke.

They offer you those refunds because they're just going to take back the guitar, polish it up and then sell it as new to another guy who wants it. You get what you pay for, and any place that takes back anything (and Guitar Center just about does), no questions asked... it's probably a sign there's something fishy going on. 

But hey, it's your life. Do as you please. I'm not a Sweetwater guy. I'm just anti Guitar Center because they're the most sterile, corporate, shady, underhanded dealer in the country. It's anywhere but there for me. Even if I have to pay more. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

There's a reason Guitar Center has the reputation it has. I believe you and your experiences, but it's pretty well known stuff. 

I agree.  There is also a reason Sweetwater has the rep it has.  I believe you and your experiences, but it is also pretty well known that Sweetwater is, in the end, just another music store with a bunch of bozos posing as "management".  I am far from alone in my disappointment with them, and I get twitchy when such blanket proclamations about the differences between the two are made.

rct

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Murph said:

Sweetwater isn't what it used to be.

It was acquired many months ago.

Providence Equity Partners Acquires Sweetwater Sound | Mergr

Very interesting. I didn't know Sweetwater was acquired by another company. This may explain the poor inventory, higher guitar prices and skyrocketing set up charges. A place where you are assigned a Rep for your convenience, who calls your home when you need nothing, yet every time you call him because you want to order a particular serial numbered guitar, he does not answer, is busy, and calls you back after the serial number you wanted is now gone. Great service.

58 minutes ago, Murph said:

Sweetwater isn't what it used to be.

It was acquired many months ago.

Providence Equity Partners Acquires Sweetwater Sound | Mergr

Any outfit with the words “private equity” in its name should be avoided like the plague. Actually, if the reaction to the pandemic provides any example, it should be avoided more than the plague.

All my dealings with Sweetwater were pre-June 2021, when Sweetwater was acquired. I’ve purchased two guitars from them and three or four cases. Never had an issue, and I can’t recall any rep calling me, certainly not repeatedly.

Maybe GCs differ by location, but I found the ones I went to in the Twin Cities merely ok. I was ever impressed by the staffs’ expertise.

All in all, I preferred patronizing the moms’n’pops. In the Twin Cities, we had some great ones, including Willie’s American Guitars, Homestead Pickin’ Parlor and Twin Town Guitars.

• Thanks 1

Things change.

I've bought many (too many)  new Gibson's over the past 10 years. I usually go with the best price because a new guitar should not need service/support. I do my own setups so that's not a concern. Here's some of my experiences.

Local GC - I have a friend that works there and I get some good deals. I used to have an agreement with the manager that would order me anything I wanted at the discount I was getting everywhere else. At the time, they had a real luthier on staff that could correct anything. Times change, manager changes, luthier moved on, discounts gone. I still have the arrangement with my friend where I can get 20% off.

Local music store that's a Gibson dealer. They offer me the deals I'm used to but their service is very bad. I had an issue that required the guitar be sent back and I felt I was on my own.

Rainbow - I've dealt with Harvey a couple times ( L5 and a Jackson Browne) and got great deals. They would also do a free setup per your preference. They were not very responsive to my last few inquiries.  

Chicago Music Exchange - They've given me some great deals and their service/support on one that had to go back to the factory was great. The main guy I dealt with moved on and they no longer deal as good as they used to.

The Music Outlet. Great place to deal with in person and you get great deals with no hassle. Unfortunately they're not local to me.

I've always found it to difficult to deal with some of the big names mentioned here like Sweetwater,  Music Villa, Sam Ash, ...... They take an attitude that I should be willing to pay more for the privilege of dealing with them. I thought the guitars came from Bozeman.

A few years ago we had a member ( Keith - Modoc333) who worked at Bailey Brothers. He was absolutely great to work with. After he left Bailey's, I started working with  Ben Scott. I get the best service and deals from him and he pretty much gets all my business.

• Confused 1

Not sure about the whole "high end" thing.  My high end guitars are by and large instruments which were not originally at the top of of the food chain but over the decades have achieved a reputation which has elevated them above their original station. 

The only new guitar acoustic to enter or lives in more years than I recall though was my wife's Martin D12-28.  We got it at a local shop at a deep discount and they did a setup at no charge.  While Sweetwater is only a few hours down the road, my only dealings with them have been for smalls.  I have only walked into a GC once.  I was not there on a sightseeing trip but to check out a specific used guitar they had in.  I made them an offer which they accepted.  It was the only guitar I played that day.

My business for almost 20 years now has mostly gone to a friend who owns a small hole in the wall shop.  The kind of a place which turns into a picking parlor Saturday afternoons.  Even though I am now several states away we still wheel and deal.  The last guitar I bought from him was my 1932 12 fret Gibson L1.  

Edited by zombywoof

I’ve bought several guitars including my L-00 Standard, amps, music stands, strings, capos, etc., without a hiccup.

Although I did not pay for their “setup”, the guitars came in very good playable condition.

Elderly’s in Lansing Michigan is well known and you will pay $100 for a setup there also (at least it was 6 months ago),

I wonder what is actually performed during a “setup” provided by a place like GC, for $50? Are we talking a tweak of the truss rod?

Remmuts above asks....."I wonder what is actually performed during a “setup” provided by a place like GC, for $50? Are we talking a tweak of the truss rod?"

Answer. My $50.00 GC set up, 8 months ago on my Gibson Hummingbird included, nut slot filing, lowering the saddle, adjusting the truss rod, changing the strings (I paid for the stings myself) and a polish and clean, fret board treated and bridge as well. I asked for low action, lower than the Gibson standard set up, as I love low action on a Hummingbird... and they delivered big time. the techs name was Geo in GC Whitehall, pa. location. Fabulous job and great price. Several other guitars were done there also including my Gibson J-45 and several Epiphones. In every case the set up was magnificent.   In contrast, my last purchase from Sweetwater was a $2000 Gibson J-45 cutaway. I asked sweetwater SPECIFICALLY for LOW ACTION..it came back terrible. Rather than return it, I took it to good old GC, and had to pay for another set up there to get it right, but this time GC made it perfect. The thing at GC is that, you can shop your tech, you can decide to use them, or not use them, after speaking with them personally face to face, and meeting them, this goes a long way for me, and they know they must face me directly when I pick up the guitar. When I do pick it up, they encourage me to test it, to play it right there before I leave GC in a private room if I wish, so that if it is not right, they will make it right. And no they did certainly not charge $100. The full cost was $50.00 and well worth it.

Edited by ALD323

I have always had nothing but great service and sales from SW..Maybe part of it is I am in there once a week usually.  I have bought over 20 guitars there and when in there and you buy it walk over and get the action changed for nothing..I know the people well from so much interaction.  I have had zero problems.  GC on the other hand around here sucks and talk about low on stock.  GC and Sam Ash in Indy are barely surviving Sweetwater has 10 times the inventory than those two.   The GC in Fort Wayne went out a year or so back. Sorry to hear all the bad experiences.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

I have always had nothing but great service and sales from SW..Maybe part of it is I am in there once a week usually.  I have bought over 20 guitars there and when in there and you buy it walk over and get the action changed for nothing..I know the people well from so much interaction.  I have had zero problems.  GC on the other hand around here sucks and talk about low on stock.  GC and Sam Ash in Indy are barely surviving Sweetwater has 10 times the inventory than those two.   The GC in Fort Wayne went out a year or so back. Sorry to hear all the bad experiences.  

So, let me get this  straight, you say you've bought many guitars from Sweetwater, and they charge you nothing for a set up to lower the action because you can walk in there daily. The rest of us buy many guitars from Sweetwater online, because we can not walk in there daily, and today they charge $100.00 for a set up.  Well if that don't say it all. Thanks for the info, I'll stick with GC, it's a lot less clicky.  And by the way, my local GC guitar room is so packed with guitars its hard to find a  stool to sit on. 

Edited by ALD323

As I said, Sweewater is not all that far away, only some 2 1/2 hours down the road.  I guess I have just never felt a burning desire to shop there.

While it is only anecdotal evidence, I had a friend who worked in the repair department at a Guitar Center.  He used to joke that while the sales staff did not necessarily know a good guitar from a can of tuna the repair shop, while not a place you would bring in a Banner Gibson for restoration, was top notch when it came to setups, basic repairs and such.  

I am lucky in that we have a great repair shop fairly close by.  The kind of place where you can drop a Banner Gibson off for restoration.  It has been around since the early-1960s and made a name for itself when they modified Joe Walsh's Les Paul which he later sold and became Jimmy Page's #1.   They charge $125 for a full setup.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

Don't waste your money there with that.

If I was you, I would take my guitar to a local setup person that you can 1: trust to do what you want, not what they think you want, and 2: doesn't have your guitar for 4 weeks after you drop it off.

you need dialogue with the person who will do your setups, 

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Don't waste your money there with that.

If I was you, I would take my guitar to a local setup person that you can 1: trust to do what you want, not what they think you want, and 2: doesn't have your guitar for 4 weeks after you drop it off.

you need dialogue with the person who will do your setups, 

^^^^^This!!!^^^^^^

Research and find the best local boffin to do everything your guitars need....everything.

I heard about my luthier/tech so many years ago, had a problem with a resophonic in the 90s and was told he was the man. And he is!

Rarely had a problem with anything he does and a most exciting time was getting him to make a custom 00 for me. That has given such an emotional connection that I feel like phoning him and thanking him.....each time I play my custom or a guitar he set.......but so do all his customers!

BluesKing777.

8 hours ago, ALD323 said:

So, let me get this  straight, you say you've bought many guitars from Sweetwater, and they charge you nothing for a set up to lower the action because you can walk in there daily. The rest of us buy many guitars from Sweetwater online, because we can not walk in there daily, and today they charge $100.00 for a set up.  Well if that don't say it all. Thanks for the info, I'll stick with GC, it's a lot less clicky.  And by the way, my local GC guitar room is so packed with guitars its hard to find a  stool to sit on. 

Let me clarify,  I am not talking a complete set up just  adjusting  the action.  I would think that any shop would do that if they want to sell the guitar to you.  Yes there is advantages to living near the store and disadvantages to buying on the internet but I would think if your local shop will not adjust the action for you when walking in then maybe you are not doing business with the right people.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Let me clarify,  I am not talking a complete set up just  adjusting  the action.  I would think that any shop would do that if they want to sell the guitar to you.  Yes there is advantages to living near the store and disadvantages to buying on the internet but I would think if your local shop will not adjust the action for you when walking in then maybe you are not doing business with the right people.

If they are wackin' people 100 bucks for adjusting the action, yea! That's a pretty good livin if you're the one doin the work!   But Highway robbery if you're the one doin the payin,

Setting up an electric is not rocket science.  The only missing piece most DIY guys have is nut files.   A set will run ya around 100 clams. 

But that is a Buy once, Cry once situation.  Once you sort that out, there's really not much to it unless you've got a dawg on your bench.

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kidblast said:

If they are wackin' people 100 bucks for adjusting the action, yea! That's a pretty good livin if you're the one doin the work!   But Highway robbery if you're the one doin the payin,

Setting up an electric is not rocket science.  The only missing piece most DIY guys have is nut files.   A set will run ya around 100 clams. 

But that is a Buy once, Cry once situation.  Once you sort that out, there's really not much to it unless you've got a dawg on your bench.

To be honest I have no clue what they charge for a complete set up and I would agree  100%  that 100.00 dollars is too much but everything is sky-rocketing as far as price.  I have never had anything done to any guitar other than string change and lower the action.   I also have no other real options as my local is small and an epi would be top of the line for them if they had it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

To be honest I have no clue what they charge for a complete set up and I would agree  100%  that 100.00 dollars is too much but everything is sky-rocketing as far as price.  I have never had anything done to any guitar other than string change and lower the action.   I also have no other real options as my local is small and an epi would be top of the line for them if they had it.

There's some stuff that you can learn about setups from Dan Erelewine   

dan erlewine guitar setup - Bing video

• Like 1