Gibson Brands Forums

Patreon.

saturn

Just curious if anyone here uses Patreon to either get paid or fund and artist or content creator that you like? Or even making a Paypal or other form of one-time donation to channels you like?

There are so many good Youtube channels I subscribe to, and would love to support for their work, but can't do them all. So there's one channe thatl I do a monthly Patreon  membership donation and then some others I do a Superchat or some other donation here and there. I figure it's like tipping the musicians at the bar. 

Am I the only one who does this?

YouTube never used to be about hearing, “Subscribe, hit the bell, and leave a comment, donate to my Patreon account for exclusive content!”  Glad you enjoy it but it’s turned into millions of “creators” to become like click bait. Maybe it’s just me and the pessimist inside but I feel that YouTubers are fake people. That’s the world we live in today. A bunch of fake, fake people who believe in fake people. So I don’t subscribe to anyone let alone give the money that could be taking care of my house or kids’ future to some YouTuber. Some of these people make a lot of money making clickbait for a living. How can anyone be so talented to make videos everyday that is worth my time? I liked the old days when people made a video on how to change your brakes on your car for instance and not one word of donating, subscribing, etc. Today I feel the internet sucks. It sucks because well, most people suck. Blame these negative comments on my large ego if it bothers some, but it’s how I feel - and I’m probably right. Internet was better before social media and smart phones. Now it’s a corporate controlled entity that tracks you and invades on what should be private. It’s stupid because in a lot of videos, they usually are sponsored or whatever where I have to listen to these shills sell me some ripoff VPN, or some other useless crap to blow money on. That’s the problem with todays young people. They all aspire to be rich YouTubers, streamers, TikTok, etc. dare I say “influencers”… It’s just about being seen. “Love me, kiss me, cherish me, and don’t forget to subscribe!” A bunch of insecure people. Insecure being the key word here. Fake people. It’s disturbing to me how when I go out in public and nearly everyone I see waiting for something for just a minute or two can’t keep from looking at their flipping phone… it’s like they forgot how to think. I make an effort to do actual human interaction with my real friends. Yup this is a large part of the YouTube culture. Sucked into tech like a black hole. Have fun donating. Whats even worse today is the parents who screentime their young child to death with this YouTube crap. If CPS isn’t an option, what’s wrong with the world today. Don’t parents know that they are shaping the next generation? Maybe they should spend some time with their kid instead of shoving baby shark down their throat every day. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do subscribe to a few. Trogly, Phil McKnight and TV License Stop. Maybe a couple more. I have made a one off donation a couple of times to TVLS. I dont do Patreon and I dont know (though I've heard of it) what a super chat is.

I would consider Patreon if I got enough out of the service or felt strongly enough about the 'cause' if applicable. Chilli Jon Carne (TV License Stop) works hard for peanuts. Phil McKnight is popular enough to make a bit more (though still not that much), but I dont have the time to watch 2 hours of KYG at a time. 

A lot of YT bloggers annoy me with their presentation or attitudes. A great many are genuine people with a passion for what they do. Its easy enough to figure out. Some are annoying because they hold forth and life is too short to listen to someone drone on endlessly. The worst are those who waste time with trivial distractions or don't bother to plan. 

There is also the issue of sponsorship. This rankles a bit with me, but as long as the sponsorship is not overly exploitive I don't object. 

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

YouTube never used to be about hearing, “Subscribe, hit the bell, and leave a comment, donate to my Patreon account for exclusive content!” 

it’s turned into millions of “creators” to become like click bait. 

They all aspire to be rich YouTubers, streamers, TikTok, etc. dare I say “influencers”… It’s just about being seen. “Love me, kiss me, cherish me, and don’t forget to subscribe!” A bunch of insecure people. Insecure being the key word here. 

To me it sounds like begging.

No, I don't pay musicians for videos, only live performance and music purchased.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Oh no, you did it! You've turned into your PARENTS!

RdfIzK.gif

those commercials crack me up. especially the one where the woman had a bunch of pillows on her couch & the guy said "you have no where to sit now". my wife went thru that F'n pillow phase and I always said the same thing.  she's down to two pillows on the couch now, and our dogs have claimed them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

those commercials crack me up

The guy shopping for the shirt and ends up buying one exactly like the one he is already wearing.

All of my shirts are used, Ebay-found Towncraft wrinkle free poly/cotton blend short sleeve button down madras so I can relate.

• Haha 1

No I dont pay for any Patreon...  I do watch some content regularly but its not in any way important to me.. If they stopped making videos it would make no difference to my life at all. I also find it very annoying that its all come down to click bait and when I see a video with a thumbnail of someone puling a stupid face and or pointing at something or otherwise looking shocked I automatically delete their channel from my suggestions..  I know I dont pay for Youtube but 99% of these videos are poorly made and there is no way I would pay for content like that. It also annoys me that youtube forced adverts on pretty much every channel.. So I have stuff uploaded to yotube for my guitar business and personal stuff like gig footage and I made sure none of my vids had adverts as I didnt want to monetise my videos, now they all have adverts but I allow that as I dont pay anything and get a free service.

But yeah..  Most of whats on youtube is just crap click bait.

• Like 1

I'm with you Rabs.  I don't pay for YouTube either,  but then unlike some I know, I don't spend hours a day on YT looking at any damn thing.  I'm only there looking for something specific. And never, EVER "instructional" videos.  :rolleyes:  as most of those waste five or more minutes of footage of the presenter talking about himself, or something uninteresting and unrelated to what the clip is supposed to be about.

Whitefang

• Like 1

After reading Nighthawk Chris diatribe and and some other comments, I just want to clarify the type of content I sometimes support. It's actually not much music related stuff. The content I support is well made content on topics of history, science  and debunking apologetics and other nonsense. It's worth it to me to keep that stuff being produced.  

@ghost_of_fl yes, I know about paid YT. Was saying that today creators now ARE the ad. I just get commercials uninterrupted by other commercials if I pay for the service. People used to make videos to help for the F of it. Was just nice to find unscripted stuff there that was useful to say, explain something you want to DIY. Now they just will say, post, etc anything to get your traffic online. Quality is a concern of mine. But yeah I’m a smart dude. You really think I didn’t know anything about paid YT? The fricking thing tries to push it on you to pay every time you use a YT app, website, etc. duh!

There are some very good independent content creators on YT if you are interested in certain subjects. These people invest in video, audio and editing equipment. They use graphics, charts, illustrations etc. They spend hours researching their topic. In some cases they get PhD Scholars as guests to come share their expertise. Some of these PhDs are very in-demand and charge the host for their time. If me and enough others throw $5 or $10 in every once and awhile, it'll help cover their cost, and if they make some profit afterwards, good for them. 

Now I'm not going to pay to watch some idiot eat a ghost pepper and wash it down with a bottle of Fireball or eat a Tide Pod etc.  🙂 

Here's an example of what I'd call a quality channel that I have supported. Just so happens he has Ukrainian ties and he tragically recently lost his infant son to SIDS. He has raised a lot of money in his sons name to donate to Ukrainian children.

Edited by saturn

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 7:58 AM, Farnsbarns said:

I pay for YouTube premium because I watch more YouTube than TV and I prefer to dodge the platform's ads. It's true that most creators are putting their own ads in now and while that's annoying, it's a tap on the right to skip 10s so I do that. I subscribe to channels I like because the subscription option is useful to me, not because I'm instructed to in every video. I bought a Colin Furze T shirt in his early days and I contributed £3 to a guy for a better mic and camera once. I bought a PCB catapult thing from AVE as well. 

I don't have a problem with creators asking for donations, patreons, subs or anything else. 

Worse, I'm thinking about becoming one of those evil creators to help fund building a car and I shall have ads, sponsors, a patreon and a gofundme. Now you can all hate me too [flapper]

Let me know when you start, I'll be a Subscriber.  [cool]