Gibson Brands Forums

ELVIS Official Trailer

Rabs

The guy playing E, looks like sort of like a young John Travolta. Maybe its just me. I love Elvis, and my parents tortured me with him growing up. Suspicious Minds is such a great song with that James Burton guitar working in the background. Not sure if James was the guitar player on the studio version, but live he sure was.

Is it gonna be in theaters or going straight to a streaming service?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

James Burton goes back to The Ozzie & Harriet days.. He was Ricky Nelson’s Lead Guitarist.. He played on many of his Hit Records in the early days..  Amazing Guitarist!

He joined Elvis’ sometime around the Elvis in Hawaii period.. He Rocked that Band too!

If I hadn’t seen Elvis on Ed Sullivan as a really young age I’d never have picked up a Guitar.. Up until then all I cared about was Baseball & wanted to be the next Mickey Mantle…

To quote John Lennon, “Before Elvis, there was nothing.” His earliest Music was his best IMO… Particularly around 1956… The year he changed the World…

I’m definitely going to see this movie being a big Elvis fan.. No one will ever be Elvis but I like they’re re-introducing him, His music & his legend to new Generations that missed some, most or all of it. That & I’m  intrigued with Tom Hanks playing the Colonel..

I saw the gal who will play sister rosetta in the movie on the tube last nite ,seems amazing and talented - sister R invented rockn roll ?  was suggested , new to me but....

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The guy playing E, looks like sort of like a young John Travolta. Maybe its just me. I love Elvis, and my parents tortured me with him growing up. Suspicious Minds is such a great song with that James Burton guitar working in the background. Not sure if James was the guitar player on the studio version, but live he sure was.

Is it gonna be in theaters or going straight to a streaming service?

The kid looks more like an extremely young William Shatner to me(The Brothers Karamazov('58) era).  And the guitar in "Suspicious minds" was session man Reggie young.  Why not Presley's long time guitarist SCOTTY MOORE I have no idea.  Maybe he was sick that day or something.

At first I sighed, "Oy.  ANOTHER story of Elvis thing?"  But his story is a fascinating one.  Of both triumph and tragedy.  My hope is that the actor and director(whomever) plus the writers attempt an accurate portrayal of his life and not the usual caricature most attempts have been.

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The kid looks more like an extremely young William Shatner to me(The Brothers Karamazov('58) era).  And the guitar in "Suspicious minds" was session man Reggie young.  Why not Presley's long time guitarist SCOTTY MOORE I have no idea.  Maybe he was sick that day or something.

At first I sighed, "Oy.  ANOTHER story of Elvis thing?"  But his story is a fascinating one.  Of both triumph and tragedy.  My hope is that the actor and director(whomever) plus the writers attempt an accurate portrayal of his life and not the usual caricature most attempts have been.

Whitefang

If they have E cheating on Priscilla through the entire movie once they meet and marry, it will.

When Suspicious was recorded was Scotty working with him anymore?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When Suspicious was recorded was Scotty working with him anymore?

Had to look that up.  The Colonel was behind Elvis getting rid of Scotty and Bill black, and Moore's appearance with Elvis in his 1968 Singer "Comeback Special" was the last time Scotty and Elvis both played together and saw each other.  And since "Suspicious Minds" was recorded and released in '69 it's obvious why Moore wasn't used for that recording.

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Had to look that up.  The Colonel was behind Elvis getting rid of Scotty and Bill black, and Moore's appearance with Elvis in his 1968 Singer "Comeback Special" was the last time Scotty and Elvis both played together and saw each other.  And since "Suspicious Minds" was recorded and released in '69 it's obvious why Moore wasn't used for that recording.

Whitefang

So was RCA Records after he signed with them.. They didn't think they were good enough... Scotty Moore, Bill Black & DJ Fontana.... RCA wanted to use the Top Session Players....

On 5/26/2022 at 9:11 AM, Larsongs said:

...all I cared about was Baseball & wanted to be the next Mickey Mantle….

Same here; I wanted to be the next Mickey Mantle too.  Hell, I wasn't even the next Wayne Terwilliger.

I liked Elvis, too. 

My ex-wife used to work with a woman who was a HUGE Elvis fan.  Back in the day when one would shop for books in an actual bookstore, I was in B. Dalton books once and found the perfect book for this woman.  I bought it, and my then-wife gave it to her for Christmas.  It was a book of Elvis's favorite recipes.  The title?  

ARE YOU HUNGRY TONIGHT?

21 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

Same here; I wanted to be the next Mickey Mantle too.  Hell, I wasn't even the next Wayne Terwilliger.

I liked Elvis, too. 

My ex-wife used to work with a woman who was a HUGE Elvis fan.  Back in the day when one would shop for books in an actual bookstore, I was in B. Dalton books once and found the perfect book for this woman.  I bought it, and my then-wife gave it to her for Christmas.  It was a book of Elvis's favorite recipes.  The title?  

ARE YOU HUNGRY TONIGHT?

When I went to Graceland in 2008 or so, in the gift shop I bought a few post cards with Elvis's recipes (probably his mothers?) on them. One was Banana Pudding, and one was Grilled  Banana and Peanut Butter Sandwiches, and the last I think was some kind of Meatballs. I have them in a drawer somewhere. I need to make them. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

If I remember correctly, the grilled banana and PB sandwich was in that cookbook.

I can't imaging it being a terribly difficult thing to make, even without a culinary degree. I bought the post cards cause I thought they were funny. Nothing like warm bananas and PB on grilled bread. I'll bet its mess to eat.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

In '71 my new bride and  I went to visit her brother in the Navy stationed in Millington TN.

We are both Elvis fan's so we made a trip of it and went by Graceland. Elvis's Uncle was manning the gate. He told us he was out on tour but we were welcomed to walk up the driveway and look around but to not go up to the house since some of Elvis' family was living there. Unfortunately I did not have a decent camera. Here's a couple blurry shots of my wife (still my wife after 50 years) at the gate and walking up the driveway. I'm still a huge fan.

Graceland

Graceland

We live in Palm Springs, Ca.. My Mom was a huge Elvis Fan.. She owned 2 little Restaurants that catered to the Working Class & served Breakfast & Lunch.. We Opened at 6:00 a.m. Closed at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon.. 

She was known for a few Recipes that were famous around here.. One of them was her Biscuits & Gravy… People would come from everywhere for them… Elvis got word & twice came to her Restaurant for her Biscuits & Gravy.. She had her picture taken with him & she treasured that experience all her days.. My Sis has all her Pics. Someday we’re going to go thru them & make Photo Books for each of us old Kids…

Interesting movie, interesting movie trailer. 

And then, at around the 2 and a half minute mark, they completely ruined it by streaming some sort of hip-hip version of one of Elvis's songs. 

Completely unnecessary. 
They lost me at that point. 

Sad too. 
Gratuitous pandering to people who probably have no idea who Elvis Presley even was. 
And I get it. 

But I'm out. 

🤔

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Interesting movie, interesting movie trailer. 

And then, at around the 2 and a half minute mark, they completely ruined it by streaming some sort of hip-hip version of one of Elvis's songs. 

Completely unnecessary. 
They lost me at that point. 

Sad too. 
Gratuitous pandering to people who probably have no idea who Elvis Presley even was. 
And I get it. 

But I'm out. 

🤔

Could it not just be that as Elvis got a lot of influence from black musicians that they decided to sort of turn that on its head and use more modern black music?

Its just a trailer.. Most of the time they are not actually that representative of the actual film.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Could it not just be that as Elvis got a lot of influence from black musicians that they decided to sort of turn that on its head and use more modern black music?

Its just a trailer.. Most of the time they are not actually that representative of the actual film.

I get it, really I do. 

But it's shameless pandering, period-incorrect, and (to me, anyway) repulsive. 

Like other trailers I have seen over the years where an otherwise classic 'Western' movie was thought to be improved somehow by inserting modern, hip street language. 

Or a classic 'Knights and damsels period piece' was thought to be more marketable by inserting modern rock and roll music. 

It's okay. 
I really should have just kept my yap shut. 
I don't watch TV anymore, and I haven't been to the movies in years anyway. 

It's for other people to discuss, I guess. 

😐

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

In '71 my new bride and  I went to visit her brother in the Navy stationed in Millington TN.

We are both Elvis fan's so we made a trip of it and went by Graceland. Elvis's Uncle was manning the gate. He told us he was out on tour but we were welcomed to walk up the driveway and look around but to not go up to the house since some of Elvis' family was living there. Unfortunately I did not have a decent camera. Here's a couple blurry shots of my wife (still my wife after 50 years) at the gate and walking up the driveway. I'm still a huge fan.

Graceland

Graceland

Did rct teach you photography?

Very cool. I have been through those gates on the basic house tour. The best part was the racquetball courts, like in the Big Lebowski it sort of ties the whole tour together.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Wow Priscilla have much plastic work done? She looks like Jack Nicholson as the Joker without makeup.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, Whitefang said:

Had to look that up.  The Colonel was behind Elvis getting rid of Scotty and Bill black, and Moore's appearance with Elvis in his 1968 Singer "Comeback Special" was the last time Scotty and Elvis both played together and saw each other.  

And E scratched hell out of Scotty’s new Super 400 with zippers and buckles during the ‘68 special. 

Once they entered the RCA era, Elvis paid Scotty and Bill $250 a week if they were touring, $200 if not. There was no expense account however. That $250 was to cover any traveling expenses, clothing, meals…..

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, Larsongs said:

So was RCA Records after he signed with them.. They didn't think they were good enough... Scotty Moore, Bill Black & DJ Fontana.... RCA wanted to use the Top Session Players....

Without Scotty More, there would be no Elvis.

Scotty's Gibsons MADE the sound.

I simply can't hear those early songs without Scotty.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I get it, really I do. 

But it's shameless pandering, period-incorrect, and (to me, anyway) repulsive. 

Like other trailers I have seen over the years where an otherwise classic 'Western' movie was thought to be improved somehow by inserting modern, hip street language. 

Or a classic 'Knights and damsels period piece' was thought to be more marketable by inserting modern rock and roll music. 

It's okay. 
I really should have just kept my yap shut. 
I don't watch TV anymore, and I haven't been to the movies in years anyway. 

It's for other people to discuss, I guess. 

😐

Your point is well taken.  The gratuitous pandering you refer to is everywhere today.  Most just accept it - expect it.  If it's in the trailer (which I saw a month ago in a theater) that means it's part of the marketing message.