Gibson Brands Forums

Up around the bend : The Dove surprise

E-minor7

This 65er is just something else. Some may recognize the concept from the electric realm, but inside one of the Gibson clazzics !?
Well, though 'special' it sounds pretty good and the guy knows what he's up to.  

Not too much bass in this guitar, but that's not what it's about.  

• Like 1

There’s a few versions of an acoustic b bender. Washburn even had a model a few years ago. This is the one I wouldn’t mind trying in a less expensive guitar. 
www.pktguitars.com

I’ve had a couple tele benders. 

Currently working on turning a cheap Recording King lap steel into a multi bender. Certano Bender I am using is from France so the Frogs take a while to do anything. Something about Europeans and 3 months of vacation per year I imagine. I was lucky enough to get 1 day off for a funeral. (Not my own but one can only imagine i might even get 3 days!)

• Haha 1

I always had a thing for the High Lonesome sound of a lap steel or pedal steel. Oddly, I've never owned one, or even though much about owning one. 

It seems to fall into a category similar to the 12-string. There's nothing quite like it, but you don't use it that often.

47 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I always had a thing for the High Lonesome sound of a lap steel or pedal steel. Oddly, I've never owned one, or even though much about owning one. 

It seems to fall into a category similar to the 12-string. There's nothing quite like it, but you don't use it that often.

The only electric guitar I still own is a double neck Supro Comet.  The reason this is the lap steel I settled on was simple - Dave Lindley.  There just ain't nothing like those Valco  "strings through" pickups. 

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

That was a great, great  performance,  great sounding H'Bird.  Thanks Em7th !   

A pleasure, fortyearspickn   👍                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Btw. guess you have one of those tiny stamp-sized screens. It's a 1965 Dove. 

I love the B-bender on the Dove! The fellow uses the bender very artistically.

But we need to revisit the original B-bender:

As for Zomby's reference to David Lindley, oh yeah (though no benders or pedal steel for him). I was fortunate to go on the road with Jackson Browne and band for several weeks while writing the Fretboard Journal cover story on Jackson. I'll offer here two short versions of the best Lindley stories.

First, on the last night of my hang, I was with Jackson after a show, wandering back stage with Jackson talking about all things guitars. It was probably about midnight. The road crew had nearly loaded up. As we walked by a dressing room, we could hear Lindley playing guitar (or oud, or zither, or whatever). Jackson said to me, "If you want to be David Lindley, that's what you have to do: play every waking hour." It was true, I never saw David not playing an instrument. He even took his meals in a dressing room so that he could play while eating.

One afternoon while the crew was setting up for the evening's performance at the Beacon Theater in NYC. David, of course, was playing while awaiting sound check. David was sitting on a monitor or something such playing an oud. "Want to try this, John?" "Uh, no," I responded. "I don't have any idea how that thing is tuned." "Oh, it's easy," said David, "the lower 3 strings are tuned like [an instrument I'd never heard of]. The high strings are tuned like [another instrument I'd never heard of]." I declined, but now regret doing so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jt said:

As for Zomby's reference to David Lindley, oh yeah (though no benders or pedal steel for him). I was fortunate to go on the road with Jackson Browne and band for several weeks while writing the Fretboard Journal cover story on Jackson. I'll offer here two short versions of the best Lindley stories.

First, on the last night of my hang, I was with Jackson after a show, wandering back stage with Jackson talking about all things guitars. It was probably about midnight. The road crew had nearly loaded up. As we walked by a dressing room, we could hear Lindley playing guitar (or oud, or zither, or whatever). Jackson said to me, "If you want to be David Lindley, that's what you have to do: play every waking hour." It was true, I never saw David not playing an instrument. He even took his meals in a dressing room so that he could play while eating.

One afternoon while the crew was setting up for the evening's performance at the Beacon Theater in NYC. David, of course, was playing while awaiting sound check. David was sitting on a monitor or something such playing an oud. "Want to try this, John?" "Uh, no," I responded. "I don't have any idea how that thing is tuned." "Oh, it's easy," said David, "the lower 3 strings are tuned like [an instrument I'd never heard of]. The high strings are tuned like [another instrument I'd never heard of]." I declined, but now regret doing so.

Gotta love some Lindley stories.

Not his pants.

Just the stories...

On 6/7/2022 at 2:24 AM, northcntryblues said:

That is... interesting...but not to my taste.

Know what you mean. . 

13 hours ago, Murph said:

Gotta love some Lindley stories.

Not his pants.

Just the stories...

Go for a few notes as well, M - heard Lindley with Crosby Nash in 1976. A genuine wizard. . 

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Didn’t even know there was such a device.  Interesting.  Thank you.

👍 Thanks back to all the inspired responses.

JT, don't spare the Jackson tales - or recollection of his live-arsenal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Heard him solo some 12 years ago - he had a keyboard or 2 on stage, , , , and 15 ? acoustic guitars. Mostly big slope Gibsons - the Roy Smecks.                                                                            Always regretted not answering Jamaica Say You Will when he asked for requests. Would have been smooth - I was in the second row. 

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Know what you mean. . 

Go for a few notes as well, M - heard Lindley with Crosby Nash in 1976. A genuine wizard. . 

👍 Thanks back to all the inspired responses.

JT, don't spare the Jackson tales - or recollection of his live-arsenal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Heard him solo some 12 years ago - he had a keyboard or 2 on stage, , , , and 15 ? acoustic guitars. Mostly big slope Gibsons - the Roy Smecks.                                                                            Always regretted not answering Jamaica Say You Will when he asked for requests. Would have been smooth - I was in the second row. 

It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. 🙂

FJ22-768x937.jpg

Yes, Jackson toured with something like 20 acoustic guitars, housed in giant containers that the roadies wheeled onto stage, opened to reveal the guitars sitting in racks.

Jackson made one request of me: that I play all the guitars. again, a tough job. 🙂

His number 1 Smeck was astonishing. But every guitar was fabulous. Jackson regaled me with stories about buying guitars, including about a dozen Smecks, and keeping those he thought were best.

Somewhere on my laptop's hard drive I have audio recordings of Jackson, David Lindley, and me passing guitars back and forth, playing them, and talking about them.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, jt said:

Yes, Jackson toured with something like 20 acoustic guitars, housed in giant containers that the roadies wheeled onto stage, opened to reveal the guitars sitting in racks.

Jackson made one request of me: that I play all the guitars. again, a tough job. 🙂

His number 1 Smeck was astonishing. But every guitar was fabulous. Jackson regaled me with stories about buying guitars, including about a dozen Smecks, and keeping those he thought were best.

Somewhere on my laptop's hard drive I have audio recordings of Jackson, David Lindley, and me passing guitars back and forth, playing them, and talking about them.

Hyper interesting - and good to hear how serious he is. One would think so.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Do you remember Browne's action. I once read Lindley like his extremely low - "it should fun to play." he stated. I see exactly what he means. . 

On 6/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, jt said:

Hahe, , , like Ian Anderson said about the early 70s concept albums. . 

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hyper interesting - and good to hear how serious he is. One would think so.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Do you remember Browne's action. I once read Lindley like his extremely low - "it should fun to play." he stated. I see exactly what he means. .

I like low action on my guitars and found Jackson's guitars set up to my liking.

Mostly what I remember was how friendly Jackson, David, and the band were to me. A truly wonderful experience.