Gibson Brands Forums

Playing guitar still attracts feline, here's proof

Tman

Cat gut strings?   🙄

So , now the J35.     Flower pot on the peghead.   Bound board.  Quilted maple b/s.    

was it a special order? 

btw.  That is a cool looking cat.    

Edited by slimt

It was a G, had it tuned to double drop D and was playing black water.😆 she actually started biting the strings so my wife asked if she was trying play Hendrix.

she’s a Bengal. Really a cool, very playful curious kitty.

catgut strings, love it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slimt said:

Cat gut strings?   🙄

So , now the J35.     Flower pot on the peghead.   Bound board.  Quilted maple b/s.    

was it a special order? 

btw.  That is a cool looking cat.    

J45, 5 star quilted maple, it was Bozeman made to measure. Killer acoustic 

1 hour ago, Tman said:

It was a G, had it tuned to double drop D and was playing black water.😆 she actually started biting the strings so my wife asked if she was trying play Hendrix.

she’s a Bengal. Really a cool, very playful curious kitty.

catgut strings, love it. 

Just be thankful she didn’t try to pull another Hendrix trick and break out a can of lighter fluid and set your guitar on fire.  That could have been disastrous.  

I’m generally not a fat person, but that is a cool looking cat.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Just be thankful she didn’t try to pull another Hendrix trick and break out a can of lighter fluid and set your guitar on fire.  That could have been disastrous.  

I’m generally not a fat person, but that is a cool looking cat.

[confused]  What has one to do with the other?   [huh]

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

[confused]  What has one to do with the other?   [huh]

Whitefang

My guess; Typo. He think meant "cat person".

That's one really expensive scratching post.

When I had a cat, she destroyed my sofa, screens on the widows and a pair of stereo speakers. Not too bad considering she was around for 19 years.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

Was figuring that.  But one word might help avoid those kind of mix ups.

PROOFREAD.  [wink]

Cats can be destructive, but as a long time often cat "owner" I learned they're usually only destructive if you let them be.  [wink]

And I put "owner" in quotations because, as you probably know too,  Cats don't have owners.  They have staff.  [laugh]

Whitefang

I hate to derail this thread, but I'm not a cat person either. I'm very allergic to them. The cat I had wandered into my yard when I was about 16 years old. At the time my father had early onset Alzheimer's. The cat just stayed with him all the time. So, she became part of the family. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I hate to derail this thread, but I'm not a cat person either. I'm very allergic to them. The cat I had wandered into my yard when I was about 16 years old. At the time my father had early onset Alzheimer's. The cat just stayed with him all the time. So, she became part of the family. 

That's a good reason.  But many people hate cats and for the dumbest reasons.  One I often heard was, "They're sneaky."  Whatever that's supposed to mean. Nobody whose used that excuse on me could really explain what they meant by "sneaky".   Another one I heard was that they carry demons into the house.  🙄  I think those people grew up watching too many old Universal horror movies on TV.

Then there's the silly old wive's tale about not letting them near a baby because:

They'll either suck the breath out of a sleeping baby and kill it.  Or they'll lie on top of a baby's face and smother it to death.  :rolleyes:  But we had a cat when my first daughter was born and she wound up being more protective of that baby than her Mother was! Oh, she let me and my wife go near the baby, pick her up and etc.  But anyone else get just a few feet close to my daughter and there was  Hell to pay.   After all, that cat knew my wife was going into labor even before my wife realized it. [omg]  Which makes me think that cat of yours instinctively knew that about your Father and kept near him out of empathy.  Maybe could have been why she chose your yard to "sneak" into. [cool]

Whitefang

We have three cats, and none have even the slightest interest in any of my guitars.

However, the cases are another story.

Any time I open one and remove the guitar, the case is instantly filled with kitties that immediately fall asleep.

This leads me to a couple of conclusions:

1. Nature abhors a vacuum,

2. My musicianship is indeed so bad that it can even put cats to sleep,

3. Whenever necessary, sufficient cats will appear to fill the available space.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

8 hours ago, gearbasher said:

My guess; Typo. He think meant "cat person".

That's one really expensive scratching post.

When I had a cat, she destroyed my sofa, screens on the widows and a pair of stereo speakers. Not too bad considering she was around for 19 years.

You are correct about the typo sir.  That should have been “cat person.”

Edited by tx-ogre

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

We have three cats, and none have even the slightst interest in any of my guitars.

However, the cases are another story.

Any time I open one and remove the guitar, the case is instantly filled with kitties that immediately fall asleep.

This leads me to a couple of conclusions:

1. Nature abhors a vacuum,

3. Whenever necessary, sufficient cats will appear to fill the available space.

RBSinTo

4.  If reading a book, a cat will sit on it.

Bengals are actually hypoallergenic which makes them very attractive to folks allergic to cats. No shedding.

She actually plays, so far, without claws out. Wife and I adore her. When she was feeling the neck and headstock, no scratches.

I didn't say this in the OP but I actually played Nugent when she jumped on the neck. 🐈

21 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

4.  If reading a book, a cat will sit on it.

FYP.,

Well of course it will. And cover the page you are reading completely.

The physical and chemical properties of cats are actually very interesting.

First, it has been determined that cats comprise a rare category of liquid. When one is placed beside a post-it note, it will very easily confine itself to sitting on the few square inches of paper. However, if you are sitting at a table reading a newspaper, the cat will immediately settle itself down, first on whatever article is being read, and then spread to completely cover the entire double truck spread.

Additionally, cats are able at will to change their mass. When one is being picked up to be petted, it will assign itself a very small mass value, so it is easy to lift.

However, when one is spread out on the aforementioned newspaper, and does not wish to be moved, it will instantly increase its mass, rendering it almost impossible to pick up.

Science has, as yet no explanation for these amazing properties.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Sure.  Like cats even need any incentive to sleep.  :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Tman said:

I didn't say this in the OP but I actually played Nugent when she jumped on the neck. 🐈

[omg]  You mean you SHOT her??  [scared]

Whitefang

• Confused 1