Gibson Brands Forums

How serious is this crack in the paint?

maXo

Hi everyone.
This is declared as a crack in the paint. Can anyone judge by these pictures, if this is just a small one or  can potentialy be more serious? How would this effect the value of the guitar LP 2016.
Thanks again for your expertise.

721d322f-2224-4316-85ea-923424e431c0.jpg

cbab6299-8033-47aa-b132-e4fb852168f3.jpg

Hi & welcome Maxo,

I'm a bit puzzled. You say

This is declared as a crack in the paint.

So this is not your guitar? Or something you are considering buying?  If it is a paint crack, it's superficial and isn't serious. 

It doesn't look like a stress or impact crack, but its possible that it might be. If you are able to examine it, you might gently flex the joint and watch for any sign of separation. 

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, this is a guitar I found listed online and I am intersted in buying it. Unfort. its not around the corner to just quickly take a look. I would ofc pick it up personally and "inspect" it, but thought I ask beforehand to get an expertise opinion and a tip how to check for what. Thanks for that.
Just to clarify (sry, non native), the joint is the part of the body "holding the neck in place ". The one  where the crack is, right? So like slightly  bending/moving the neck to see if the crack reacts ("watch for any sign of separation").

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Edited by maXo

On 8/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, maXo said:

Hi everyone.
This is declared as a crack in the paint. Can anyone judge by these pictures, if this is just a small one or  can potentialy be more serious? How would this effect the value of the guitar LP 2016.
Thanks again for your expertise.

721d322f-2224-4316-85ea-923424e431c0.jpg

cbab6299-8033-47aa-b132-e4fb852168f3.jpg

Well..... i would be concerned  it looks like more serious  of what it seems from outside 

How serious is this crack… serious enough to walk away from and find another guitar to buy. Seriously… I mean could be cosmetic, but if the price is right… maybe take a risk. But if you’re not the kind of guy who can handle something like this to fix it if need be, walk away. It might not even be worth the cost to fix it - the cost of repair exceeds the value of guitar.