Gibson Brands Forums

More news, , , with a big N, , , and an extra O

E-minor7

Watched/listened to the whole "Gibsunday" video.   Interesting the G-Bird comes in a G-Bag.     

I'm always torn between the 2 schools of thought :   Those here who say  'you have to play it before you buy it'      and  those who form opinions based on their laptop speakers interpreting a guitar that is plugged in AND being recorded through a mike.   A mike in front of just one of the sound holes!

I guess the fact our ears are also different makes it tougher.    

RvrDxn -   I assume you weren't referring to those two holes ? 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Watched/listened to the whole "Gibsunday" video.   Interesting the G-Bird comes in a G-Bag.     

I'm always torn between the 2 schools of thought :   Those here who say  'you have to play it before you buy it'      and  those who form opinions based on their laptop speakers interpreting a guitar that is plugged in AND being recorded through a mike.   A mike in front of just one of the sound holes!

I guess the fact our ears are also different makes it tougher.    

I played 2 of the G-45's. One in Mobile and one in North hMyrtle. And I was not impressed. I play any Gibson in any music store I am in. The sound shooting right in your face in annoying.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Brother, life is too short to limit yourself to only two holes. If it fits, I say go for it! Get creative. Technically, anything can be/become a hole. But perhaps that is a (w)hole other discussion entirely. 

I would be interested in checking out the J-35 in person.

I got no dog in this hunt as Gibson does not have a prayer of selling me a "G" Series guitar any more than they do one of those "Faded" issues.  And no, I am not bashing Bozeman because I do not think there is a builder out there who can offer up something to entice this dog to leap off a meat wagon.  While I cannot really explain it the desire to bring home something new to me has taken a hike.  In a way it is downright peaceful feeling to be able to walk amongst guitars which while I may appreciate as soon as it gets around to the "what will it take to put you into this guitar" it will end with a shrug of my shoulders and not one regret about having passed the opportunity by.

Edited by zombywoof

46 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I got no dog in this hunt as Gibson does not have a prayer of selling me a "G" Series guitar any more than they do one of those "Faded" issues.  And no, I am not bashing Bozeman because I do not think there is a builder out there who can offer up something to entice this dog to leap off a meat wagon.  While I cannot really explain it the desire to bring home something new to me has taken a hike.  In a way it is downright peaceful feeling to be able to walk amongst guitars which while I may appreciate as soon as it gets around to the "what will it take to put you into this guitar" it will end with a shrug of my shoulders and not one regret about having passed the opportunity by.

zombywoof,

Must be contagious, because I have it too.

I've got all the guitars I need and although I love to visit the two serious music stores here in Toronto, and noodle on the high-end instruments, I never for a second contemplate buying any of them.

RBSinTo

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

YES!………………..Haven’t played one yet, but that won’t stop me from giving an opinion.  No matter how good they might sound, I’m not interested in them.  I’ve pretty much always been a traditionalist when it comes to guitars and being seventy-five I’m even more wrapped-up in tradition.  If I ever play one of them I might be blown away, but I won’t buy one.  I understand Gibson offering new products and I’m glad they do, but I’ve now got the guitars I need and am satisfied with then.   I hope they sell thousands of them. 

8 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

YES!………………..Haven’t played one yet, but that won’t stop me from giving an opinion.  No matter how good they might sound, I’m not interested in them.  I’ve pretty much always been a traditionalist when it comes to guitars and being seventy-five I’m even more wrapped-up in tradition.  If I ever play one of them I might be blown away, but I won’t buy one.  I understand Gibson offering new products and I’m glad they do, but I’ve now got the guitars I need and am satisfied with then.   I hope they sell thousands of them. 

I recall the days when I got a new to me guitar and would place it in a stand so it was the last thing I saw before falling asleep and the first upon waking.   

Maybe it is an age thing.  I did not hot hit me with all the subtlety of a flying mallet until I reached my late- 60s where there is not much you have not experienced.  It might just be coincidence but the last guitar I bought was that Fairbanks Roy Smeck.  Virtually every guitar I have in the house just fell into my lap.  No planning involved at all.  I figured it was just fate and a meant to be thing.  So, I had not experienced what it was like to take a leap of faith and buy a guitar I was totally in the dark about and then having to endure what seemed like an endless wait to see if I had chosen wisely.  With the Fairbanks I finally got that out of my system.  But whatever the reason it now just seems plain silly to be buying any more guitars.

Edited by zombywoof

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to applaud every contributor who helped keeping this thread from being one of the most lame, low and inferior the Board ever saw.

A set of pens goes out to ya'all - you know who you are. . 

Gibson Premium Pen With Logos (Bling Sparkle - Headstock - Humming Bird) |  Lazada

I wouldn’t be able to use one. I drop my pen way too often. I’d break the headstock off.

18 minutes ago, RvrDxn said:

I wouldn’t be able to use one. I drop my pen way too often. I’d break the headstock off.

It looks like the pen in the middle had a headstock break as the rest of the guitar is missing.

Come on everybody let's make this thread the thread it can be and wants to be and should be. 

Like I have stated before I have actually played not one but two different G-45's I have not played any of the other G Series ones because they have never been at a store when I was there. My honest opinion is they look cheap. As big of a Martin guy I am, I would say its like looking at Martins Mexican stuff, to me they look cheap as well. And the sound shooting up in your face I'm not a fan of either. And it didn't sound good. You named after a guitar chord may go ga ga over it, and if so plop your hard earned money down and buy one. But don't get butt hurt if you start a thread and people don't like the guitar the thread is about.

And why do you have to buy this. It should be included when you buy a G Series. No other guitar in Gibson arsenal can use it.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-FDBKSPR3/Gibson-Generation-Acoustic-Player-PortTM-Cover

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It looks like the pen in the middle had a headstock break as the rest of the guitar is missing.

Come on everybody let's make this thread the thread it can be and wants to be and should be. 

Like I have stated before I have actually played not one but two different G-45's I have not played any of the other G Series ones because they have never been at a store when I was there. My honest opinion is they look cheap. As big of a Martin guy I am, I would say its like looking at Martins Mexican stuff, to me they look cheap as well. And the sound shooting up in your face I'm not a fan of either. And it didn't sound good. You named after a guitar chord may go ga ga over it, and if so plop your hard earned money down and buy one. But don't get butt hurt if you start a thread and people don't like the guitar the thread is about.

And why do you have to buy this. It should be included when you buy a G Series. No other guitar in Gibson arsenal can use it.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-FDBKSPR3/Gibson-Generation-Acoustic-Player-PortTM-Cover

I like this description of the product

• When installed, allows for a more traditional acoustic response

It looks like a good spot to put a special shaped Fishman 

Edited by Dave F

2 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I like this description of the product

• When installed, allows for a more traditional acoustic response

It looks like a good spot to put a special shaped Fishman 

Who on this forum is concerned with tradition?

On 10/6/2022 at 1:04 PM, RBSinTo said:

zombywoof,

I've got all the guitars I need and although I love to visit the two serious music stores here in Toronto, and noodle on the high-end instruments, I never for a second contemplate buying any of them.

RBSinTo

I'm nearish to Toronto.  The one shop I know you must be talking about is The Twelfth Fret.  It's fantastic.  Curious - what's the other one?

I'm the same as you - I pick up guitars in shops and play them occasionally, but I never find anything better than my L-00 - my only guitar.  I do think about eventually picking up a well used Telecaster.  I had one years ago that I miss.

Also, imo, that sidehole is absolutely awful!

1 hour ago, northcntryblues said:

Come on guys and girls start liking these G-bortions, or the rath of the one named after a chord will type it’s time for you to get out of his life changing thread. If people don’t like it then they just don’t.

At the least we might get a pen and pencil set.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, northcntryblues said:

I'm nearish to Toronto.  The one shop I know you must be talking about is The Twelfth Fret.  It's fantastic.  Curious - what's the other one?

I'm the same as you - I pick up guitars in shops and play them occasionally, but I never find anything better than my L-00 - my only guitar.  I do think about eventually picking up a well used Telecaster.  I had one years ago that I miss.

ncb,

The other store is Cosmo Music, which is actually in Richmond Hill, on Leslie St., north of Elgin Mills Road. 

To be fair, there are a few other good stores in the city, but none better than these two.

RBSinTo

I think it’s great to have Choice! We don’t have to agree but we can all still be civil…

While the Hole might not be everyone’s cup of Tea it may be a great sounding Guitar.. Ultimately that’s what is important.. 

I notice on Forums that some Guys knock & don’t buy Guitars because they don’t like a color. Seriously? What if it’s the best sounding & playing Guitar you’ve found in the Model you’re looking for? Color isn’t the main thing! It’s the Sound, Playability & Quality…

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Opinions are like, well you know.

This place isn't very friendly anymore.

That's mine.

Easy please - this Forum is still fine. It's just the same old salty dog who's seen too much water and knocked down too much booze while doin' it. Nothing new.

But yes, the thread was vertically sabotaged - and it won't be forgotten. 

So this is what can happen- it's a big internet out there. Prefer guitar talk as a refuge. But there's still the matter of the 2-holer. Not going to G-Bird judge from a YouTube, but it would be an interesting a/b comparo to mic the guitar above the sound port, and one from out front. I'd give that one a listen. Or how 'bout getting an a/b with, and without the optional sound port cover?

Ever play into a corner to better hear the guitar's sound reflected back at you? What percent of guitar playing is done in front of an audience? Just wondering.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 12:04 PM, RBSinTo said:

zombywoof,

RBSinTo

Agree with you guys.   I look at it like this -  we have 3 dogs.  One is a little mix we got from one of those "Rescue" organizations that set up in mall parking lots on weekends.  The other two are German Shepherds. One is a 'rescue' we found online from a group that scours the state to save GSDs from bad situations, we got several months after our first GSD died .  We've found we absolutely love the breed, after having had dozens of dogs over the past 50 years, and a half dozen different breeds.     My point?  We can go to a pet store or one of those parking lot rescue places or look at German Shepherd Rescue websites and see pics and descriptions of all the great dogs needing a home - but resist.   Because we know we have all we need right now.  And 'need' translates to 'want'.   

Now, while there are exceptions that prove the rule:  Those crazy cat-hoarding ladies that  have 100 cats in their house,  I think there is no doubt in anyones mind here on how many guitars are  just right of them - and how many would be too much.   Since we can all only play one at a time, and only have 24 hours in a day, there must be an upper - end.  The low end being 1. 

For me - it's 3 guitars.  Just like  3 dogs.   I'm guessing 3 vehicles  would fit this Rule of Thumb: a sports car, a pickup and a sedan or SUV?     3 wrist watches: dress,  casual.  exercise.   3 beers.   3 Yard Decorations at Christmas.   3 ...? 

14 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree with you guys.   I look at it like this -  we have 3 dogs.  One is a little mix we got from one of those "Rescue" organizations that set up in mall parking lots on weekends.  The other two are German Shepherds. One is a 'rescue' we found online from a group that scours the state to save GSDs from bad situations, we got several months after our first GSD died .  We've found we absolutely love the breed, after having had dozens of dogs over the past 50 years, and a half dozen different breeds.     My point?  We can go to a pet store or one of those parking lot rescue places or look at German Shepherd Rescue websites and see pics and descriptions of all the great dogs needing a home - but resist.   Because we know we have all we need right now.  And 'need' translates to 'want'.   

Now, while there are exceptions that prove the rule:  Those crazy cat-hoarding ladies that  have 100 cats in their house,  I think there is no doubt in anyones mind here on how many guitars are  just right of them - and how many would be too much.   Since we can all only play one at a time, and only have 24 hours in a day, there must be an upper - end.  The low end being 1. 

For me - it's 3 guitars.  Just like  3 dogs.   I'm guessing 3 vehicles  would fit this Rule of Thumb: a sports car, a pickup and a sedan or SUV?     3 wrist watches: dress,  casual.  exercise.   3 beers.   3 Yard Decorations at Christmas.   3 ...? 

$3,000,000,000.00, three orgasms, three lovers, three scoops of ice cream, three cheeseburgers, three j-45 variants, three "different" Les Paul variants

Eh,...........sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Easy please - this Forum is still fine. It's just the same old salty dog who's seen too much water and knocked down too much booze while doin' it. Nothing new.

But yes, the thread was vertically sabotaged - and it won't be forgotten. 

Chief,

Insults and veiled threats, but at least he didn't say you have a death wish.

Phew.

RBSinTo