Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to see Gibson build in 2023?

Larsongs

Ever the optimist, I'd like to see Gibson try again for a Kalamazoo Gals line of guitars. Accurate replicas, credit to the Gals, and a small portion of each sale going to a women's history nonprofit.

Yeah, I know. I tried this before. I sent guitars and X-rays to Gibson after the management committed to what I've just described. But the company simply copied my guitars and sold them without crediting the Gals. It took me 10 months to get my guitars back.

But, that was during the Henry era. I'd love to try with the new management.

My proposal: begin with the full fleet of Banner LGs:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Eddie Bower said:

Bring back the SG-Z bass…. Amazing bass!

some sparkle paint Thunderbirds would be really cool too!!!  Call them Thunder road Thunderbirds!!  Give them hot rod car paint schemes!

Guess few of us saw that comin'. . 

What is the characteristics and sonic trademarks of this bass ? - never met one. 

I would like to see a j35, done correctly for a change.

no banners, three on plate tuners with the correct white buttons.three tone bars. and do this without a custom shop price.

it that really asking to much?

the faded 30s got close, then the tuners went way off the beaten path. 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:15 PM, jt said:

Ever the optimist, I'd like to see Gibson try again for a Kalamazoo Gals line of guitars. Accurate replicas, credit to the Gals, and a small portion of each sale going to a women's history nonprofit.

Yeah, I know. I tried this before. I sent guitars and X-rays to Gibson after the management committed to what I've just described. But the company simply copied my guitars and sold them without crediting the Gals. It took me 10 months to get my guitars back.

But, that was during the Henry era. I'd love to try with the new management.

My proposal: begin with the full fleet of Banner LGs:

Yes, it’s hard to figure out why this run of guitars has yet to be produced. Such an opportunity lost…

Lars

Why is it everyone wants their guitars built like back in the good ol’ days? Which may have not been so good. How about they build  great guitars with excellent QA, that are affordable? No stupid idea huh? That goes for Martin too. Nowadays we have so much technology on our side, back in the ol’ days they were just making it up as they go along. Maybe they still do?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why is it everyone wants their guitars built like back in the good ol’ days? Which may have not been so good. How about they build  great guitars with excellent QA, that are affordable? No stupid idea huh? That goes for Martin too. Nowadays we have so much technology on our side, back in the ol’ days they were just making it up as they go along. Maybe they still do?

I'm sometimes tempted to search out a '57 Chevy.  Or a classic pick up truck ...   then I remember all the trials and tribulations that existed with the mechanics of them.  Plugs, points, condensers.  Carburetors needing just the right mixture.  Spark plug wiring that rotted.  Mufflers that rusted out in 5 years.  Not to mention bodies.       Then I realize that as cool as they look - they are too  'high maintenance' for me.    I'd rather be on the open road than bruising my knuckles on a frozen spark plug.    Like W.C. Fields said -   "Elephants are like women,  I like to look at them but I wouldn't want to own one."       Of course,  acoustic guitars are different than cars.  

Now that you ask, my second choice would be the old smoke stack. 

wboQIoq.jpg

There has been a lot of talk about restoring this (cultural) landmark and the last thing I heard a few years ago was positive. Actually don't know how far they are. . 

Edited by E-minor7

On 11/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

If it had pink sparkles with a light purplish-blue hue that changed colors as the guitar moves around, and had unicorns and rainbows as fret markers, I would be all in

Look at her posing like Jimmy Page circa 1977. It appears she might even know a G chord, no she is just trying to flip her old manager the bird. She doesn't even have to pay extra for that company to put her name on the guitar too.

always something ornery to say about ms. swift accompanied with some photo i assume you get from a folder on your desktop called "tax returns 2000-2010" 

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

always something ornery to say about ms. swift accompanied with some photo i assume you get from a folder on your desktop called "tax returns 2000-2010" 

Man, her what is called music, is just so damn awful. My opinion of course. I will gladly stand aside and stay out of your way so you can purchase all her classic albums. Taylor can sing that I’ll admit, but she is a scoop of vanilla, and sounds like 50 other female “country” now I guess she’s pop, singers. Hold a gun to my head, and play her, and nine others in the Ken and Barbie country genre, and I’ll bet I couldn’t pick her out. People like Van Morrison, Robert Plant, Joni Mitchell, or Freddy Mercury, when you heard a new song from them for the first time you knew it was them. There was no doubt about it. 

At least when I dislike something, I usually give an explanation why, instead of just saying, that sucks, and then going in hiding in the corner.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

While your white-knighting is adorable, please give it up. She’s not going to touch your pee-pee.

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Now that you ask, my second choice would be the old smoke stack. 

wboQIoq.jpg

There has been a lot of talk about restoring this (cultural) landmark and the last thing I heard a few years ago was positive. Actually don't know how far they are. . 

Was that the original site for Pink Floyd’s Animals album cover?

2 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

While your white-knighting is adorable, please give it up. She’s not going to touch your pee-pee.

I guess they are all what are called Swifters. Her Army of blind loyalty fans that have no clue what good music is, and listen to her and think they are listening to some new exciting genera.

She is smokin hot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man, her what is called music, is just so damn awful. My opinion of course. I will gladly stand aside and stay out of your way so you can purchase all her classic albums. Taylor can sing that I’ll admit, but she is a scoop of vanilla, and sounds like 50 other female “country” now I guess she’s pop, singers. Hold a gun to my head, and play her, and nine others in the Ken and Barbie country genre, and I’ll bet I couldn’t pick her out. People like Van Morrison, Robert Plant, Joni Mitchell, or Freddy Mercury, when you heard a new song from them for the first time you knew it was them. There was no doubt about it. 

At least when I dislike something, I usually give an explanation why, instead of just saying, that sucks, and then going in hiding in the corner.

I'll give it to you on your last point, you're ornery but you're not a troll or s**tposter. Im not a big swiftie but my better half is so i've heard all of her stuff. I think you're dead on for your impressions of her style of country, but she hasn't done a pop-country album in over ten years and has found a pretty solid songwriting voice especially in her pandemic albums. You can absolutely pick her songs out as hers if only because she uses the same writing conventions over and over. But i'd challenge you to listen to folklore and tell me it's facsimile pop-country from a pop diva.  Lest we forget when you heard Into the Mystic or Both Sides Now or especially anything by Queen, that was the pop music of the time and older folks derided it as drivel. 

and to say it overtly for those in the back, trivializing any artist or performer to their looks and sex appeal is bullshit, thinking women can't play guitars or don't deserve a signature model is bullshit, and you're a crappy person if you bring that into this. 

for the record, I'd love to see a Dylan signature Nick Lucas in natural, and +1 the USA sheraton.

20 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

I'll give it to you on your last point, you're ornery but you're not a troll or s**tposter. Im not a big swiftie but my better half is so i've heard all of her stuff. I think you're dead on for your impressions of her style of country, but she hasn't done a pop-country album in over ten years and has found a pretty solid songwriting voice especially in her pandemic albums. You can absolutely pick her songs out as hers if only because she uses the same writing conventions over and over. But i'd challenge you to listen to folklore and tell me it's facsimile pop-country from a pop diva.  Lest we forget when you heard Into the Mystic or Both Sides Now or especially anything by Queen, that was the pop music of the time and older folks derided it as drivel. 

and to say it overtly for those in the back, trivializing any artist or performer to their looks and sex appeal is bullshit, thinking women can't play guitars or don't deserve a signature model is bullshit, and you're a crappy person if you bring that into this. 

for the record, I'd love to see a Dylan signature Nick Lucas in natural, and +1 the USA sheraton.

Give a sig model to anyone, it means nothing. Most sig models I have to look up who the person is unless they are a mega star. I had a sig BB King. I got it not because of BB, who I have seen twice, but due to the things it had. No F holes, a Varitone, ebony board, and stereo jacks. After getting it, I now hate Varitones, and the stereo out I used maybe 3 times. Great guitar though. My daughter likes Taylor, and used to play her CD’s. I’ve heard her music, I just don’t like or get it. I’m sure my wife saw her in concert as she loves that type of country music, and would go to many shows when anyone in the genre came close. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Johnny Cash played two J200s.  I like to see Gibson do them again.

Arn't they the same as the 10k Tom Petty, with the PG's that is horrendous?

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACC9G4342/Antique-Natural

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Give a sig model to anyone, it means nothing. Most sig models I have to look up who the person is unless they are a mega star.

BB King's sig and Johnny Marr's jag sig are two examples of players that improved from the standard with their signature models. I dont think Gibson does a great job at this- they're rather put out a standard model with someone's name on it at 4x the cost- look no further than the NG j150 which was $8k and spec'd out for his 2005 that was selling for like $2500.

The Marr jag is probably the perfect fender guitar and a huge improvement on both the originals and vague reissues over the years

3 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

BB King's sig and Johnny Marr's jag sig are two examples of players that improved from the standard with their signature models. I dont think Gibson does a great job at this- they're rather put out a standard model with someone's name on it at 4x the cost- look no further than the NG j150 which was $8k and spec'd out for his 2005 that was selling for like $2500.

The Marr jag is probably the perfect fender guitar and a huge improvement on both the originals and vague reissues over the years

I have never seen the JM Jag. Yep Greedy McGreedakins makes the same model LP,  slaps in some new fangled pups, paints it a different color, and its a sig model.