Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to see Gibson build in 2023?

Larsongs

Anything with a 2 5/16" or 2 3/8" string spacing at the bridge.  I am not going to hold my breath though.  

The CF-100, of course, crashed and burned in the 1950s.  Gibson cut production by mid-decade and pulled the plug on the whole project in 1959.  I used to own a 1957 CF-100E.  Sexiest flattop Gibson ever built. I guess at the time it was too radical for the guitar buying public.  Let it go in a trade which landed me that 1932 12 fret L1.  

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Down-to-spec replicas of their older guitars. No "with a modern twist" models. Straight up replicas, using the same building methods, tools,  materials and glues.

While Bozeman can build a guitar with period correct specs going with the same tools, methods, and materials (assuming you can even get them) would be a hard row to hoe.  But I am also guessing you do not know what the Daylight Plant was like in 1930s and 1940s.  It was un-organized and a mish-mash of tools, dies and fixtures characterized by low production and high scrap costs.  It took three months to complete one guitar.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Down-to-spec replicas of their older guitars. No "with a modern twist" models. Straight up replicas, using the same building methods, tools,  materials and glues.

They’ve done that already and the selling price was too high. The early Legend series (I think 2007 - 2010) did this. They even used old Kalamazoo equipment to match the saw blade marks on the bracing. Later on they made different versions less authentic and more affordable and called them Legends

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

They’ve done that already and the selling price was too high. The early Legend series (I think 2007 - 2010) did this. They even used old Kalamazoo equipment to match the saw blade marks on the bracing. Later on they made different versions less authentic and more affordable and called them Legends

Yeah, but it would still be cool, high cost or not. The thread was asking what I'd like to see, and that was my answer lol. 

1 hour ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Yeah, but it would still be cool, high cost or not. The thread was asking what I'd like to see, and that was my answer lol. 

Regarding price, I paid less for my player's grade 1942 J50 than what a brand spanking new J45 Legend would have run me back in the day.  Heck, I paid less for it than what a used one would run me today.  I get it that you are just expressing a wish.  But if you have time under your belt with some of these old guitars there are considerations other than price tag which come into play which could well make yours a be careful what you wish for thing.  

57 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If you don't mind the wait, the M2M program might get you whatever you want, and it could be surprisingly affordable.

I'm currently waiting on my third M2M.

I would think that would only work if they were willing to go the "and now for something completely different" route and include structural features which no Bozeman-made guitar has ever sported.  

36 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

While I’m not really in the market for a new guitar, a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe replica would be tempting.

Since they've already made that guitar, but it is out of stock, it would be an easy M2M order since they're already tooled up for it. I've had two versions of it plus the Jackson Browne. If I remember correctly the original was a mahogany. The ones I had were walnut, rosewood and mahogany.  If had a yearning for another one, I would choose the rosewood which would be more like a Radio Grande with an aged top and standard neck. I was not a fan of the wide nut, just my preference. I currently have a Nick Lucas that fills that urge.

If I order another M2M, it will be a Nick Lucas, 12 fret, maple back and sides, aged top, standard C shape neck.

Okay - I' like to see a short scale Firebird with just a hair thicker still absolutely scalloped bracing and remarkable less flames all over.                                                                                                                                       The phoenix on the head - the green burning frets and only the lower part of the bridge lit up. The p-guard extinguished, please. .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     And ! , , like now up till now, it shall be available with both silver and gold tulip tuners. 

23 hours ago, jvi said:

a production facility in Canada...

The current CEO might be able to pull that off, he is the guy, in front of the the guy, who is behind the guy, who calls the shots.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, RvrDxn said:

A Taylor Swift sig model would be the ti. . . would be great!

If it had pink sparkles with a light purplish-blue hue that changed colors as the guitar moves around, and had unicorns and rainbows as fret markers, I would be all in.

How about this from a non Gibson guy, Just make well made guitars that people can afford, and stand behind your products when they are not up to snuff. Stop with fake aging and charging 10k for a limited edition cash grab guitars.

Look at her posing like Jimmy Page circa 1977. It appears she might even know a G chord, no she is just trying to flip her old manager the bird. She doesn't even have to pay extra for that company to put her name on the guitar too.

v6HxrS6.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper