Gibson Brands Forums

Alternate uses of anything

Mr. Gibson

10 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Cup of uncooked rice tied in a cotton sock makes a good de-humidifier in instrument cases.

I think those sponges and humidity packs put moisture back into to wood not take it out. Rice is going to absorb water, which is what you don’t want.

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep - Napftha. That has got to be spelled wrong.

Just leave out the "f".   Enough was used in the department I worked in at Cadillac I couldn't possibly forget how to spell it.  It was used to wipe off shipping grease and oil from engine compartment hoods and fenders so first inspectors could see high spots and other flaws so they can mark them with chalk so the metal finishers could know where to make repairs.  

14 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Clothespins to hold papers together.

Not all clothespins will work for that.

These will...                                                                                                         But not so sure about these.

.clothespins_x1.jpg                                                             il_fullxfull.412825436_msva.jpg

And since we're where there's probably three generations that never used or saw ANY kind of clothespin,   your idea might take some 'splainin'.  [wink]

Whitefang

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think those sponges and humidity packs put moisture back into to wood not take it out. Rice is going to absorb water, which is what you don’t want.

Interesting.

I moved from west coast to W Kentucky as you know. Humidity here was 99% at times. My old POS 67 Lyle acoustic I thought might be at risk. So, I used the rice.

Those little packs I see are the same as whats found in med bottles. Those absorb moiture.

Never heard of "sponges".

Now I be confused as to how to protect my guit. Arg!

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

Interesting.

I moved from west coast to W Kentucky as you know. Humidity here was 99% at times. My old POS 67 Lyle acoustic I thought might be at risk. So, I used the rice.

Those little packs I see are the same as whats found in med bottles. Those absorb moiture.

Never heard of "sponges".

Now I be confused as to how to protect my guit. Arg!

Why would you to dry your guitar out? The D’addario packs do what your guitar needs which is mostly moisture. The sponge ones do the same thing but you have to re-wet  the sponge every week or so.

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Just leave out the "f".   Enough was used in the department I worked in at Cadillac I couldn't possibly forget how to spell it.  It was used to wipe off shipping grease and oil from engine compartment hoods and fenders so first inspectors could see high spots and other flaws so they can mark them with chalk so the metal finishers could know where to make repairs.  

Not all clothespins will work for that.

These will...                                                                                                         But not so sure about these.

.clothespins_x1.jpg                                                             il_fullxfull.412825436_msva.jpg

And since we're where there's probably three generations that never used or saw ANY kind of clothespin,   your idea might take some 'splainin'.  [wink]

Whitefang

We still use clothespins (the springy kind) to hang our laundry out on the line.

The solar dryer helps thwart climate change, and the sunlight kills bacteria and other pathogens.

We put clothes in the dryer that can't hang out, but most if toes on the line. It's the eco thing to do.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

The first real band I ever played with, I used to take one of the drummers drum sticks and dangle it in my right hand to bounce against the strings of my Strat while making chords and playing scales with my left. It made a certain rhythmic  pattern that I could control pretty well and I had worked out a pretty cool technique with it. There were a few songs we did that I played exclusively with the drum stick. Too bad I never developed it more.  Maybe I could have made it my own little gimmick. :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, saturn said:

The first real band I ever played with, I used to take one of the drummers drum sticks and dangle it in my right hand to bounce against the strings of my Strat while making chords and playing scales with my left. It made a certain rhythmic  pattern that I could control pretty well and I had worked out a pretty cool technique with it. There were a few songs we did that I played exclusively with the drum stick. Too bad I never developed it more.  Maybe I could have made it my own little gimmick. :rolleyes:  

Yeah. I'm not naïve enough to think I was the only one who ever thought of this. [biggrin] But I did it a little different from how Randy is playing. I held it loosely from the very top (or bottom however you look at it) and let it bounce against the strings. I could get like a flamenco type rhythm that way.

1 minute ago, saturn said:

Yeah. I'm not naïve enough to think I was the only one who ever thought of this. [biggrin] But I did it a little different from how Randy is playing. I held it loosely from the very top (or bottom however you look at it) and let it bounce against the strings. I could get like a flamenco type rhythm that way.

Its all just a copy of Page anyway with his violin bow which he was doing in something like 1968..  He would sometimes bounce it off the strings like you describe... Nothing is really new huh  🙂 

Edited by Rabs

That's close to true.  I've done the drumstick thing like Saturn did back in '68, before most anyone ever heard of Page. But I'm willing to bet plenty of guitar players tried that before anyone ever heard of The Beatles, or even Elvis.   [thumbup] 

Wouldn't be surprised if Chuck or T-Bone did too.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 11/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

99% humidity ...

At that point you're better off getting a room dehumidifier. 

On 11/22/2022 at 4:05 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is the guitar in a house with the AC running. If so the house is not 99%.

Did some reading on that by Sweetwater. 35-55~ RH is ideal. Also storing in a case is good protection.

Yup. A/C in home. I just wanted to play outside on my porch. Which I will do now. Before putting away, just let it aclimate back to indoor environment b4 it goes back in case.

Ty guys for raising a point. Made me educate meself.

Edited by CROWB8

On 11/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, CROWB8 said:

Did some reading on that by Sweetwater. 35-55~ RH is ideal. Also storing in a case is good protection.

Yup. A/C in home. I just wanted to play outside on my porch. Which I will do now. Before putting away, just let it aclimate back to indoor environment b4 it goes back in case.

Ty guys for raising a point. Made me educate meself.

Remember AC removes moisture (like when your driving in your car, and the windows are all fogged up, and you put the AC on to defog the window) and so does heat. I have heard some say AC is worse on your guitar that heat. I use the kit. I used to use the sponges, but the kit, when the bag is no longer smooshy, it is done, and you put in a new one. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GHP--daddario-ghp-acoustic-guitar-humidifier

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumidRestKit--daddario-humidipak-restore-kit

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1