Gibson Brands Forums

Share your critter pics thread

CROWB8

On 7/6/2023 at 10:00 PM, CROWB8 said:

I've been gone a couple of days. For some reason, I click on expand and I'm taken to Imgur?  By the tips of the ears, I asume its Oliver. 

Yes, we were not planing on getting any more dogs. But Pam gave me a call last winter. She is a show breeder, a judge, and a handler. Oliver was meant to be shown, but he had 1 testical that didn't drop down. They could not find it so all people whom show Dobermans rejected Oliver. Of course he never had a name at that stage. He was also rejected by all pet owners seeking a Doberman.  So talk was putting him down, I talked deb into getting one last one which she was all for. So, though he was meant for the show ring as a pup, he became our rescue Doberman. We drove from Omaha, to Loganville Georgia to pick him up. Debbie really loves him and he has won her heart. He just turned 10 months old this month. 

• Like 3

On 7/7/2023 at 7:47 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did you get him an ear extension?

No. He started off with tail, docked, declaws cut off, and ears cropped by the breeder. Intended to be shown. then when his testicle never did drop, no one wanted him as they have to have both to be shown in dog shows. Pam knows me so gave me a call and Debbie and I hated to see him be put to sleep for that reason.  So we drove down to Georgia to rescue him. His ears were taped to stand. We came back with done already. I never showed Sundance either and his ears were a long crop. Pam knew I loved Dobermans with long ears. She showed Bandit decades back in the Nationals for me and he won a ton.  He was flown down to actually breed a female. he was my champion. 

When we took our last vacation trip, we dropped Oliver off at her friends house. She had 3 standard poodles. We spent time there getting him used to them and them him for a few weeks. So when we came home, Oliver picked up on some bad habits.  Drinking out of the toilet, not eating his food, he liked theirs better.  Now I can't get him to eat his food. he was such a great eater before. Tonight, we explored a new pet store.  different foods, much better prices than Pet Co. We found 3 different types of food with salmon in it as he loves those treats as well as liver.  We also tried 2 cans of steak and potato. Turned out just a teaspoon of Steak & Potato stirred up in his food was all it took.  He gobled  that up. Tomorrow  we will try one cup of his food mixed in one cup of Salmon.  Please don't tell Rob! He already wants to come back as our dog as we spoil him rotten. Lol

18 minutes ago, Retired said:

When we took our last vacation trip, we dropped Oliver off at her friends house. She had 3 standard poodles. We spent time there getting him used to them and them him for a few weeks. So when we came home, Oliver picked up on some bad habits.  Drinking out of the toilet, not eating his food, he liked theirs better.  Now I can't get him to eat his food. he was such a great eater before. Tonight, we explored a new pet store.  different foods, much better prices than Pet Co. We found 3 different types of food with salmon in it as he loves those treats as well as liver.  We also tried 2 cans of steak and potato. Turned out just a teaspoon of Steak & Potato stirred up in his food was all it took.  He gobled  that up. Tomorrow  we will try one cup of his food mixed in one cup of Salmon.  Please don't tell Rob! He already wants to come back as our dog as we spoil him rotten. Lol

Leave the toilet seat down, and when a dog gets hungry enough it will eat what it’s given.

My wife and I make dog food from chicken breast, veggies (no onions), sweet potatoes, rice, and broth in a pressure cooker, and mix it with kibble. Our dog is spoiled too. I’d rather spend time with my dog than most people.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 4:14 AM, Retired said:

So talk was putting him down, I talked deb into getting one last one which she was all for. So, though he was meant for the show ring as a pup, he became our rescue Doberman. 

Good on you! 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:03 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Leave the toilet seat down, and when a dog gets hungry enough it will eat what it’s given.

My wife and I make dog food from chicken breast, veggies (no onions), sweet potatoes, rice, and broth in a pressure cooker, and mix it with kibble. Our dog is spoiled too. I’d rather spend time with my dog than most people.

Thats great making its food. I always put the seat down but Deb or the grandkids forget.  She also spoils dogs more than I do and feeds them people food. We think that contributed to Sundance's death. his liver was bad plus his lungs were full of pneumonia. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:14 PM, Retired said:

I've been gone a couple of days. For some reason, I click on expand and I'm taken to Imgur?  By the tips of the ears, I asume its Oliver. 

Yes, we were not planing on getting any more dogs. But Pam gave me a call last winter. She is a show breeder, a judge, and a handler. Oliver was meant to be shown, but he had 1 testical that didn't drop down. They could not find it so all people whom show Dobermans rejected Oliver. Of course he never had a name at that stage. He was also rejected by all pet owners seeking a Doberman.  So talk was putting him down, I talked deb into getting one last one which she was all for. So, though he was meant for the show ring as a pup, he became our rescue Doberman. We drove from Omaha, to Loganville Georgia to pick him up. Debbie really loves him and he has won her heart. He just turned 10 months old this month. 

I thought he was 10 months old but she tells me he is not. He is still 9 months. Sorry.  And the added caned dog food she gives him is a teaspoon of New York Steak with gravy, so I had that wrong also, Lol. In the kitchen, he follows her around everywhere, as she bakes and cooks often sticking his head through her lags to see what she is making.  She loves him dearly.

12 hours ago, Retired said:

I thought he was 10 months old but she tells me he is not. He is still 9 months. Sorry.  And the added caned dog food she gives him is a teaspoon of New York Steak with gravy, so I had that wrong also, Lol. In the kitchen, he follows her around everywhere, as she bakes and cooks often sticking his head through her lags to see what she is making.  She loves him dearly.

Me thinks our critters are roughly the same age. Though he no longer has his nuts. Eh....

The wifey makes some of our pups food. She adds a little olive oil when she does. Pup has a great looking black coat. Shiny. Can see every muscle.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, CROWB8 said:

Me thinks our critters are roughly the same age. Though he no longer has his nuts. Eh....

The wifey makes some of our pups food. She adds a little olive oil when she does. Pup has a great looking black coat. Shiny. Can see every muscle.

We are taking Oliver in to have that done this autumn. They have to cut him open a bit to find the one that never dropped down. The vet could not feel it so he might not have the other? 

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, CROWB8 said:

Bandit had a gorgeous shinny coat. But as a young pup, he had a case of the hives, I didn't think the judge would give him anything or the cut but he took Winners dog. I wrote his name down and the next show he judged later in our area, I made sure to take him there. He looked much better and won a 3 point major. 

This is Maggie, my fourth Golden Retriever since 1988. We got her at 7 weeks on Christmas Eve 2011. She has been a sweetheart, as all Goldens are. A few months ago she began losing control of her hind legs and wasn't able to get up. I knew she had arthritis. She had good days and bad, all within the scope of being a Golden almost 12 years old.  A week ago she was no longer able to get up, period. I took her outside using a belt and beach towel as a makeshift sling. As the week went on, she got worse. Thursday night she had a nosebleed that was nearly unstoppable, just laying in the grass. He breathing was labored and she lost interest in eating. i had her put down Friday morning. If I had known, I would have done it several days earlier. She was a wonderful dog and everyone loved her. To show how quickly things can go bad, the video was from June.

87Uomfq.jpg

This is Daisy, my 3 year old Jack Russell Shorty. She came up from Texas. The breeder couldn't ship her on a plane because of COVID so my son in law arranged  to conveniently have a load to go to Ft Worth. The breeder drove the 180 miles to meet him and she rode with him for ten days before he made it back to Maine.  She has been a fireball since Day One. Last new Year's Eve day I was driving down the road at 50 mph and misjudged how much the back window was open. Daisy jumped out and and I didn't notice until I got home. We frantically began looking for a carcass but she was at a house about a mile down the road, a little bloody and limping but otherwise fine.  Daisy makes me go out and play fetch at least twice a night, rain, sleet, snow.... This dog keeps me alive. I don't know what else to say.  

fm7iNu7.jpg

3WW5sSI.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, surfpup said:

Question..... I've been away from this site a while..... do you still have to use a photo host like Photobucket to post pics?

Yes but no-one is using Photobucket as they charge now.

Postimage works for me.

I hope you are well, nice to see you posting again.

Edited by jdgm

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yes but no-one is using Photobucket as they charge now.

Postimage works for me.

I hope you are well, nice to see you posting again.

Thanks, man.  Yeah I let my Photobucket die when they wanted $$$, but I think I still have an Imgur account.

18 minutes ago, surfpup said:

Question..... I've been away from this site a while..... do you still have to use a photo host like Photobucket to post pics?

Postimage works. But I dont bother signing up. Just go to main page and select upload. Upload.Then copy second link provided, paste here and amend your photo image info on you device with same link so it can be found again.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

K'sD -  Sorry to hear of your loss.  That is often how they go.  Suddenly.  We had an old Lab and a middle aged German Shepherd go within a week of each other two years back... The GSD was 100% fine but in 2 days went south:  Blood in urine. Wouldn't eat, hardly wanted to move,  etc.   Vet said it wouldn't be fair to bring her back home - cancer and it would only be  a couple of days.  I felt guilty for not realizing it sooner, for taking her for walks she might not have wanted to go on.    I have come to the belief that they are happy and fine until they tell you otherwise.             We have 2 GSDs and also a 12 y/o mixed breed terrier/poodle that looks like your Daisy.   A week ago on  Sunday he stopped eating and drinking for 2 days.  Had to carry him outside, but no other symptoms.  Started drinking again on 3rd day, still wouldn't get out of bed. 4th day we hit on the right combination of food to get him to nibble a bit.  By this Sunday he was almost back to normal. Just a little unsteady on his feet at times.  We had been  sure we were going to lose him.  So - the old cliche applies to our relationships with dogs as well as people -  Live in the moment and enjoy each one.. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

What a good looking Doberman! Everyone I have been around have been big babies and sweethearts. My Dad has been wanting one for a long time, but can't convince my Mom into one because she is scared of that breed for whatever reason. 

So y'all know, that's  @Retired (Butches) pup Oliver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

How am I just now seeing this thread?  Since my Lab passed, I'm down to 4 now.  Here are my 4. My Newfoundland Daisy, Boston Terrier's Boomer and George, and my Pug Henry. 
4cR7rit.jpg
6LBI1n2.jpg
FO4CTrb.jpg

Tnx for sharing sir.

I created this thread for passed and present critters/pets of all kinds. You want to see some diversity? Check out pg1. And check out the OP. I was inspired to create this thread due to your loss sir. 

Edited by CROWB8