Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson gets into the used guitar biz

SteveFord

Considering all the research that goes into authenticating vintage guits to ensure they are the real deal, here we have authentication right from the horses mouth. No arguing that.

Still, I have mixed feelings bout the vintage stuff. Collectors can afford them. Most others can't. Prolly sit in a case. Most all vintage stuff are being bought up by collectors. Never to be played. Just looked at.

In the end, prolly raise the cost at resale for that very reason.

I know we have collectors here. Not meant as an insult. Just sayin. Wish I  could play one. Being old enough to have played some. Would be nice to have the opportunaty again.

I think all things are like a pendulum. You know, for a period of time. Then they swing back. All things. The difference being, the length of time is different for each thing, so nothing is ever really in sync. And, perhaps, it never has been.

Years ago, everybody was worried about too many prisons and how we were too tough on criminals. Now there is anarchy in many large cities with thieves being let out of jail minutes after they commit their crime without paying any bail, just on their good name. That's not working out well and is about to swing the other way again. 

Drugs will kill you now. When I was young they just made you stupid. I mean they could kill you back then, but not like these today. Eventually that will solve itself.

Real estate prices will fix themselves, because there will be no market for fictitious prices. I bought a house in 1979 for 30K and looked it up the other day and it had sold for 250K. It's not worth that in a fairytale, but it's in a hot location. That location will cool, and reality will reign supreme. Eventually.

Vintage guitars will level off in the future when many of the next generations don't have any idea what they were for. ...

• Like 1

Re; Guitars.. Before the Pandemic there was a consensus by many who said, Guitars are over… Art is Collectible & Appreciates. Not a bad thing as an Investment.. Although, I would not buy something I wouldn’t play.. Old rule.. Buy low…. Sell high.. 

Re; The Dollar… I used to buy a Coke for 5 cents when I was a little kid. Now it’s $2.50..

Re; Real Estate.. We built our first House for $100,000.00 in 1977.. It recently sold for $700,000.00…

The Products are the same.. We’re just using Monopoly Money to buy stuff now!

Edited by Larsongs

18 hours ago, Larsongs said:

The Products are the same.. We’re just using Monopoly Money to buy stuff now!

The problem is all the western nations' wealth is built on debt, both personal and national and it's unsustainable, someday someone's going to have to pay for it.

Here in the U.K for example, the price people are paying for pretty modest housing is eye-watering, people are taking mortgages that will run into their 70's, everyone's driving around in new and expensive cars and the truth of the matter is that people are living beyond their means.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Here in the U.K for example, the price people are paying for pretty modest housing is eye-watering, people are taking mortgages that will run into their 70's, everyone's driving around in new and expensive cars and the truth of the matter is that people are living beyond their means.   

It's the same here. 

Rent is out of hand. People are drowning in debt. Inflation is worse than admitted. 

It'll pop again soon.

So I wonder if there going to put Norlin era Guitars in there vault.       Martin was consistent in preserving history.  
 So what make Gibson think they can?   Gibson couldnt keep the serial number data consistent

especially now with the the thousand differences on one model.    

My goal has been to retire debt free. I did so. Our house is paid off, my “old” house is paid off and my youngest daughter rents from me (at a laughably low dollar amount), I own the property across the road and my stepson has an identical rental situation. We have zero debt except for my wife’s 2021 Bronco, which will be paid off early. Not bragging. Just saying I always lived within my means and drove ten year old cars while my peers drove new ones. Anyone’s financial situation can be a wreck because we can’t foresee or control many things that happen to them. I maintain though, that there are always elements you can control and all you can do sometimes is focus on them…and maybe the storm will pass. As to guitars, I have many that, if I were to be honest, I may never play again. I’ve got a couple J200s, a J100, an L-5, a Heritage Super Eagle, plus probably more kicking around that might as well not be here. And even though the prices have gone up and up lately, I wonder how much people are buying. I see huge prices on guitars on Reverb and they sit there for a year. That’s not how supply and demand works. I’ve been shopping for a pre CBS Jazzmaster for a solid year and the only ones that appear on the market with decent prices are quickly scooped up by other dealers who promptly relist them with “their” inflated prices. And then they sit for a year or more. Doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, Murph said:

I think all things are like a pendulum. You know, for a period of time. Then they swing back. All things. The difference being, the length of time is different for each thing, so nothing is ever really in sync. And, perhaps, it never has been.

Years ago, everybody was worried about too many prisons and how we were too tough on criminals. Now there is anarchy in many large cities with thieves being let out of jail minutes after they commit their crime without paying any bail, just on their good name. That's not working out well and is about to swing the other way again. 

Drugs will kill you now. When I was young they just made you stupid. I mean they could kill you back then, but not like these today. Eventually that will solve itself.

Real estate prices will fix themselves, because there will be no market for fictitious prices. I bought a house in 1979 for 30K and looked it up the other day and it had sold for 250K. It's not worth that in a fairytale, but it's in a hot location. That location will cool, and reality will reign supreme. Eventually.

Vintage guitars will level off in the future when many of the next generations don't have any idea what they were for. ...

It's not only vintage  guitars that are selling. Here in UK a Gibson Firebird once played by ( yes played by )  Chuck Berry sold for £21000. I could see it if it was a Gibson ES in red and owned by Berry but a Firebird ! the worlds gone mad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fretplay said:

It's not only vintage  guitars that are selling. Here in UK a Gibson Firebird once played by ( yes played by )  Chuck Berry sold for £21000. I could see it if it was a Gibson ES in red and owned by Berry but a Firebird ! the worlds gone mad.

That's the way to increase the value of all your guitars. Become a success. Guitar provenance could be more important than age.

The old guitar market is a bit of a strange one to me.

A friend of mine is considering buying a 2000 Gibson SG which, if you are being kind, you could describe as road-worn, however for the price being asked you could easily buy a brand-new one.  I don't get it, the guitar is not "vintage", to me it's just old and battered.

• Like 1