Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Guitar You have Ever Played/Owned?

Mr. Robot

It wasn't a bad guitar, but I was totally disappointed by my first Gibson, a '96 SG Standard, I believe. I HATED the sound that the 498/490 'buckers produced...eBay lesson number one: play the guitar before you buy it. In addition, my luthier said it had a "funky neck," and I don't think he meant it as a compliment.

In addition, my Made in Taiwan Yamaha 12-string from the late '90s is proof that you need to spend good money to get a good 12-string; can't keep that action low for the life of me.

My first electric was a Hondo Deluxe 737 series and I was pretty nice for a 11 year old kid. That was back in 80. When it was riped off in 85 I think it was I bought the Ibanez it was all I could afford at the time and I had gigs.

This isn't mine but heres a pic

hondo0.jpg

My first guitar was a two pickup Teisco Del Rey back in 1966. It was an absolutely horrid piece of junk.

Oh my god...I had one of those too. It was something like a 1971 or '72. Nasty piece of wood.

Looked something like this...but in blue (yikes!)

TeiscoDelRey_tulip_ET200.jpg

After playing for 33 years and owning many many guitars during that time, I finally broke cardinal rule #1

and bought a brand new Fender Malibu acou/elec from an online retailer........The spec sheet had me so

intrigued that I bought it w/o playing it 1st.

Its a good thing that I DO play some Delta "Roots" blues that are best played on an acoustic

that sounds like a rubberband strung shoebox, because thats exactly what the piece of Chinese junk sounds like.

It was set up so poorly that it took 2 neck adjustments, and a fair amount of saddle lowering just to make it

playable, AT ALL.

Now that everything is "settling in and settling down" a bit, and the tone is beginning to sweeten up a touch (had it a yr & a half now) it's become useful for doing Lightnin' Hopkins type of Blues, but not much else.

Oh well.........live and learn.

Worst guitar I've ever played/owned? My first...a 1963 "acoustic" Western Auto "TrueTone" Flat-top! Needed "Vice Grips" just to finger it! Did have a "steel reinforced neck" (TR), but not adjustable. But, I think it was about 10-15 bucks (new), at the time. LOL!

This is the "Stella" version, of that Truetone...my very first guitar!

H1141_Stella_05.jpg

H1141_Stella_09.jpg

;>b

CB

A '62 Airline. My first guitar. A total piece of crap. Plastic (or plastic-coated) body. All the knobs were above the big E string running parallel to the string in a row about an inch above it. You could not play the guitar without hitting the knobs.

When I see those Eastwood re-issues I can't imagine that anybody would ever want one.

A '62 Airline. My first guitar. A total piece of crap. Plastic (or plastic-coated) body. All the knobs were above the big E string running parallel to the string in a row about an inch above it. You could not play the guitar without hitting the knobs.

When I see those Eastwood re-issues I can't imagine that anybody would ever want one.

You know, I've been trying to find an Airline around town to try out, 'cause Jack White uses a lot of them in the studio and gets some startlingly awesome tones out of it.

I had a friend that bought a peavy raptor because it was really cheap and he wanted a guitar. It was the worst guitar I have ever played. The pickups were terrible, the hardware(bridge, tuners, etc.) were complete garbage, the neck felt awful, it didn't stay in tune, the action was insanely high... I could go on. A good set-up could have eliminated some of these problems but I feel sorry for anyone who owns one.

00489480_3.jpg

The most unplayable guitar I have is, for the time being, this one;

AidiMaurallfour.jpg

But I'm going to get it sorted out soon.....

It's been in a cupboard since I bought it nearly 30 years ago and it's about time I did the right thing by her......

the worst guitar I've played is this total piece no name acoustic from Mexico. Whoever made this this was so stupid I can't even beleive it. What a piece of crap. Each fret sounds out of tune. The inlays are basically just randomly thrown in there. I'm just waiting till the next trip to mexico to get some m80s to blow it up.

I also have a carlo rombelli 3/4 electric I got as a kid. The pickups are so bad that they sound really cool. Super throaty and aggressive. The third fret is completely dead though.

Archived