Gibson Brands Forums

Every girls crazy bout a sharp mower blade

10K-DB

Just a rock song  lyric idea?    UUMMM,,not so much. {kidding of course}   A recent  garage  project,,,,seeing as  its  getting to mowing  season,,a  quick vid on how to sharpen  mower blades.   WARNING :  CONTAINS  METAL  TO METAL CONTACT,,SPARKS FLYING THAT WILL SCARE YOUR CAT,,AND NOISE THAT WILL DRIVE ALL THE FIELD   MICE FROM YOUR YARD.    LADIES AND GENTLEMAN,,I PRESENT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SHARP MOWERBLADE  TOUR 2023!!!!                                 

Edited by 10K-DB
typo

Y'know, I've been sharpening lawn mower blades long before my Dad loosened his wallet and finally bought a power mower(or even power tools), and WAY long before there was the internet and you tube clips of people showing everyone how to do things their way, which really isn't always the best way.

Any village idiot can figure out how to sharpen those blades as  having a degree from MIT was never a prerequisite.   But thanks for taking the time anyway.

Whitefang

On 4/13/2023 at 10:06 AM, Whitefang said:

Y'know, I've been sharpening lawn mower blades long before my Dad loosened his wallet and finally bought a power mower(or even power tools), and WAY long before there was the internet and you tube clips of people showing everyone how to do things their way, which really isn't always the best way.

Any village idiot can figure out how to sharpen those blades as  having a degree from MIT was never a prerequisite.   But thanks for taking the time anyway.

Whitefang

"Best" is subjective.  And I enjoy being  a village idiot.  Thrilled you enjoyed the vid and learned something from it.   Im so skilled,,Im making a space shuttle out of popsicle  sticks.  And a new vid on how to wash a Zebra properly.

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Only good thing about this clip was the reference to the ZZ Top classic.    

Oh, and that, once he started up his Dremmel = you could hear him anymore. 

COULDN'T  her him anymore.  sorry - typo...

The vid wasnt meant to be  "the best way to do it" vid.           Its One way of doing it,,thats all.  And its probably better you didnt hear me..lol   .  I wasnt really saying anything  important anyways.   Im trilled you enjoyed the vid.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:14 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

So let me get this straight ..... Blades are sharpened by grinding one side until it's thin and flat?  😳 

The Bottom surface of blade is flat,,90 degrees relationship to the drive shaft. facing down to the ground.  The top surface has an angle  ,,not sure what degree of angle,,but if you look close at it,,youll  see the angle Im referencing . And all that needs to be done is,,making both "angles"   flat  tword each other.  Doesnt matter how you do it,,,dremmel,,,bench grinder,,or just a flat file. It takes much longer using the flat file.    Again,,Im not at all claiming this to be the "Best" way to do this.  Its just "One Way"  of doing it.

19 hours ago, 10K-DB said:

"Best" is subjective.  And I enjoy being  a village idiot.  Thrilled you enjoyed the vid and learned something from it.   Im so skilled,,Im making a space shuttle out of popsicle  sticks.  And a new vid on how to wash a Zebra properly.

First, nobody was calling YOU a village idiot.  Don't know how you could ever come to that conclusion.  And all I learned from the vid is that somebody was proud at finally figuring out how to do what most everybody figured out long ago and also figured that the iNet is the 21st century's version of "show and tell".  [wink]

And I already know the proper way to wash a zebra.   You wash the white parts between the black stripes first because they show the dirt more.  THEN you can see if the black stripes need washing too.  [wink] You might be able to let those slide until next time.  [cool]

Whitefang

I use this angle grinder rig right here to sharpen my mower blades.

Works like a champ.
You just take your time, and use a steady hand. Sharp as a Japanese Katana in one or two passes.

Long sleeves, long pants, sturdy shoes, and eye protection are advised.
🙂

1181744?wid=456&hei=456&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100