Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a used SG, any advice?

LeftyGreen

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum so my bad if this is the wrong section.

I am a lefty who has been looking for an SG for quite a while and came across this one on reverb. I am close enough to LA to go take a look at the guitar in person but wanted any tips or advice on what I should look out for. When I asked my local guitar shop for advice I did not find them to be super helpful and they seem to try to seed the idea that it might be stolen because it was being sold for $1000. Any advice would be really appreciated. Here is the link to the guitar for picture: https://reverb.com/item/66691489-left-handed-gibson-sg-standard-black.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, quick update. I went to see the guitar in person and it was beautiful and played beautifully. Had some dings here and there but nothing you wouldn’t expect from a guitar used often. Hardware wise and the neck looked great and it sounded beautiful on my amp so I took it home with me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, Big Bill said:

It should come with a hard shell case, not a gig bag. That may be the reason the price is lower.

SG Standards from at least 2019 onwards are in a gigbag + 490 pickups + batwing pickguard. (This one is a SG Standard)

SG 61 Standards are the real thing, w/ hardcase + 60s Burstbuckers + normal pickguard.

1 hour ago, LeftyGreen said:

Hey everyone, quick update. I went to see the guitar in person and it was beautiful and played beautifully. Had some dings here and there but nothing you wouldn’t expect from a guitar used often. Hardware wise and the neck looked great and it sounded beautiful on my amp so I took it home with me!

Great guitars don't beg to be adopted, they just go somewhere else. Good move! 👍

1 hour ago, LeftyGreen said:

I personally like the SG more than a LP.

This one looks beautiful.... nice catch..... let's see a video of you playing something!

I had a 50th Anniversary that had the same super-thin neck.  It was also ridiculously neck heavy and I thought I could adapt.  I couldn't.  If yer flailing around trying to sing and play and you are constantly tensed up against the neck dropping it is not good.  I used it for quite a few years and let it go.

rct

• Like 1

This one on Reverb has the newer long neck trunnion or joint , meaning the  strap button is almost 2" farther forward which can provide better balance with much less dive than the 61 style.

utupeqfskncskqf8if9w.jpg

The SG on the left is the more modern style, the right is the very popular 61 SG neck style that is notorious for diving.

HicWEeW.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Murph said:

I used a leather strap with the rough down and never had a neck dive issue with my 79.

I'd never even heard of that issue until I joined this Forum......

In my old age, I tend to play sitting down with the guitar resting on my thigh...so no diving issue aver!   (but it's a beast to play a flying V that way!).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I used a leather strap with the rough down and never had a neck dive issue with my 79.

I'd never even heard of that issue until I joined this Forum......

yea for my 2 sgs, that's for sure the fix for neck dive

That SG looks legit, 

• 2 weeks later...